Best throw single 18650 LED flashlight?

lurcher

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering what the current status is with these lights, which has the most throw? I have a Dereelight DBS V2 w/3SD Cree XR-E module , has this torch been well and truly blown into the weeds? Are there upgrades for it?
Thanks in advance

joshconsulting

Enlightened
*cough*

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258453

In terms of sheer throw (lux) in a small hotspot, an XR-E R2 Aspheric setup is best. The DBSes is by far the best for its size, but there may be a few other 1x18650 aspheric throwers out there that beat it. Aspherics are of limited use; the beam is so small that in anything under 100 yards or so it's like looking through a pinhole.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Selfbuilt's readings, king of throw (without aspheric) is held by Tiablo A10-G (single stage). Lux is slightly higher than Thrunite Catapult.

Niteowl

Enlightened
......I have a Dereelight DBS V2 w/3SD Cree XR-E module , has this torch been well and truly blown into the weeds? Are there upgrades for it?......

I don't think it has been blown into the weeds yet. I've had my DBS V2/R2 for two years now and so far see no reason to replace it. I've bought a couple lights with both the SSC P7 and Cree MC-E since the DBS, but only for the change in beam pattern for different purposes.

The latest upgrade for the DBS is Cree's XP-G. Supposedly not more throw, but "more light around the hotspot".

EDIT: Several days later I notice OP asking "Best throw single 18650 LED flashlight?". Missed the throw part so disregard my suggestion..........:ohgeez:

Last edited:

lightforce2

Enlightened
the original post indicated "single 18650". The RRT-1 runs best on 2xcr123a batteries because thats what it is fully regulated for.

On 1x18650 my RRT-1 is a very ordinary performer and can't match my other throwers

smooth reflectors -
Tiablo A10g, Dereelight DBS 3sd = aproximately 25 to 30,000 lux with some sidespill

Aspherical lens -
Tiablo A9, Dereelight DBS 3sd = aproximately 60,000 lux with no sidespill
(note; Tiablo A9 is best regulated on 2xcr123a, similar to RRT-1)

What lights have well & truly "blown the DBS into the weeds'?

cheers

Last edited:

The Dane

Enlightened
sku_22934_1.jpg

Ultrafire WF-008 Recoil

And it's not an asph!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Is the RRT 1 very usefull as a all around flashlight? I guess what I mean is I know it is a good thrower but does it have much spill? I'm going back and forth between this light, a Deree VBS 3 SM and building something like Josh's Deree light with SST 50. I love the control ring and various outputs on the RRT 1 ... I imagine it would have more spill if they used a XP G ...

joshconsulting

Enlightened
The RRT-1 has a small, fairly bright hotspot with around 190 lumens. The XPG's hotspot is slightly dimmer, but has more sidespill and a larger hotspot at 300 lumens. The SST-50 has a brighter hotspot then both, with a much larger hotspot and brighter sidespill with 470-490 lumens. The DBS setups are both considerably smaller then the RRT-1.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
The q5 would have a little more overall output, with a bigger (but slightly less bright) hotspot and more sidespill. The r2 would have less output with a smaller but brighter hotspot.

Neither of the DX lights would be anywhere close to the rrt or the DBS in terms of quality, and the sst-50/xp would both far surpass them in output.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are mixing something up ;). The Q5 and the R2 are both XR-E emitter. The R2 is just a higher flux-bin, so is a little bit brighter at the same current. But you can't compare those lights in this way as one of them is a recoil flashlight.

But if you want quality I also recommend you to buy a JETBeam, Tiablo or Dereelight thrower.

rayman

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Your right, I got the binning mixed up. Ignore my previous post, the r2 will be brighter, although throw depends on other factors like the reflector and pill position as well as flux.

sabre7

Enlightened
Wondering which would have the best throw, a MagLED 3D or the Ultrafire WF-008 Recoil?

The Dane

Enlightened
The q5 would have a little more overall output, with a bigger (but slightly less bright) hotspot and more sidespill. The r2 would have less output with a smaller but brighter hotspot.

Neither of the DX lights would be anywhere close to the rrt or the DBS in terms of quality, and the sst-50/xp would both far surpass them in output.

As i remember the topic was: "Best throw single 18650 flashlight"
Alas nowhere was quality or output mentioned so the DX still twats the other lights. Sorry mate :rolleyes:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo A10 has the lux recored from a 6Pish size light, but it is not running at full output with a single 18650 cell. It only does the 240ish OTF lumens with 2 primaries and gets 1.2A at the tail. When I put a IMR 18650 it gets 800mAh or so at the tail:duh2: So, this cancells the A10 for the best throw w/18650.

I don't think you can include aspheric lights because the ones I have tried need 50yards plus to make them usable. I still need a Deft.:twothumbs

The Raptor may be the ticket, but I have not seen one in person and can only say the DBS by Dereelight w/ XP-G R5 has a nice beam with faint rings that are not as uggly as the Tiablo A10 rings.

Does the OP want rings in his beam?

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
the original post indicated "single 18650". The RRT-1 runs best on 2xcr123a batteries because thats what it is fully regulated for.

On 1x18650 my RRT-1 is a very ordinary performer and can't match my other throwers

Hi. Do you know some link to share this? I'm looking for some review.
Thanks! :)

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
This looks VERY similar to the Uniquefire HS-802. Has anybody compared the two, side-by-side? Since the HS-802 has an R2 and the WF-008 is a Q5, you would think the R2 light would possibly have an advantage...?

I have UF 008, HS-802 and Tiablo A9

UF 008 is smallest of them (much smaller than TA9 also) HS 802 is much bigger than UF 008 and TA9. It has huge head and probably deepest SMO reflector in world of led flashlights. TA9 has much better quality and it is upgradeable with aspherical lenses.

MY OBSERVATIONS (with plenty of witnesses)
HS 802 easily out throws them, and have much tighter and brighter hotspot with some usable side spill. Even outthrows other popular brands like ledlenser and feniks & not to mention maglites (my friends have them in a comparison with 802 and they eat their guts out when saw this cheap chineese in action)

CONCLUSION
HS 802 is probably one of the best(if not best) and cheapest thrower in a world. It runs on 18650 battery(don't put CR 123 because it will burn) Build quality is better than on recoil UF 008. Even compared to Tiablo A9 is good (Tiablo is slightly better)

TIABLO W/ASPHERICAL LENSES

This above mentioned lights can not compete in throw with this TA9 mod that can easily throw well above 250 meters(even on 1 × 18650 battery). In fact 350 meters that I can see without binoculars (but not so bright just illuminates something) U will like this mode only if U R extreme sniper hunter that handles poor animals on big distances :tinfoil: or U like to burn your neighbours at night.

Mr. Lightforce has modded one and he claims that he can indetify target at 300 meters :grin2: I would like to have that but I am to stupid to mod...

P.S

Very important advices for UF 008
Although is much brighter on it(even brighter than Tiablo A9 w/stock head) DON'T EVER use 2×RCR 123 in UF 008 because driver will burn after some time using it. Use 18650 only if U want long life. But U will loose on brightness so it will throw like Tiablo A9 w/stock head.

TIABLO A9 VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Don't ever put batteries in reverse polarity because it will burn,burn,burn...
And also don't overreact with runtime. Be reasonable when using it.
(2 old creeps from 15 people I sold to did this So I had to order spare pills for TA9 to replace burned one)