best way to seal underwater light

Axkiker

Enlightened
what do you all think is the best way to seal a lens to an underwater light and make it water tight use an o-ring and some sort of compression fitting or just silicone it down ??

Axkiker

Enlightened
O ring with out a doubt. But its not the only way or the easiest.

Yeah it definitly would not be the easiest however could be done with my application.

what methods are you familiar with. the only couple that I can think of are oring and a big blob of silicone

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to use at least a 1/8" o-ring and some BLACK silicone around it. The purpose of the silicone is to create a seal against standing water in the lens and the bezel. Water always seems to collect there since it is such a small area it takes a long time to dry out.

Klem

Enlightened
Depends how often you want to re-open the seal; every dive, every six months, or never (permanent seal)?

a. Every dive...O ring.
b. Every six months...O ring or silicone-based sealant (e.g. Silastic).
c. Never (permanent seal)...polyeurathane or metal epoxy glues. If you need to 'build-up' the area then two-part epoxy putty.

Axkiker

Enlightened
Depends how often you want to re-open the seal; every dive, every six months, or never (permanent seal)?

a. Every dive...O ring.
b. Every six months...O ring or silicone-based sealant (e.g. Silastic).
c. Never (permanent seal)...polyeurathane or metal epoxy glues. If you need to 'build-up' the area then two-part epoxy putty.

Well ideally these will never come apart once they are built...

I built a set and tried them out. One set leaked water into the housing and the other did not. I used clear silicone on both so not sure why one did and the other did not ....

Klem

Enlightened
Unsure how to reply to that, other than no doubt you would have a fair idea of what might be the cause.

If it is not the obvious one thought springs to mind... 'glue starvation'. When two surfaces are brought together with glue in between, you can literally squeeze the glue out of the gap to create a weak or sparse bond in parts.

Axkiker

Enlightened
Unsure how to reply to that, other than no doubt you would have a fair idea of what might be the cause.

If it is not the obvious one thought springs to mind... 'glue starvation'. When two surfaces are brought together with glue in between, you can literally squeeze the glue out of the gap to create a weak or sparse bond in parts.

That is a very good point and probably the issue.... I used a clamp to hold the lens on while it dried. I may have tightened it too much.

I also think I will go to a 2 part marine epoxy setup for the next set. I just feel more secure knowing its a true marine epoxy......

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a very good point and probably the issue.... I used a clamp to hold the lens on while it dried. I may have tightened it too much.

I also think I will go to a 2 part marine epoxy setup for the next set. I just feel more secure knowing its a true marine epoxy......

Yeah, never use the $5 WalMart epoxy, that stuff will turn brittle and start flaking off!