Bicycle Shorts

MicroE

Enlightened
Since so many people here keep talking about bike helmets (and I think they're aiming those comments at me!) allow me to summarize my beliefs on the subject:

I wear my helmet all the time every time that I ride.

My father spent 30+ years working with people that had traumatic brain injuries (un-helmeted motorcycle accidents, attempted suicides, etc., etc.). Believe me, you do not want to have a head injury.

I live in the most densely populated state in the USA. Cars and trucks are everywhere all the time and on every road. Drivers don't pay much attention to the road or traffic signs or pedestrians or bikes. The police don't enforce the traffic laws; at least not with enough gusto for my taste.

Under these conditions the chance of a collision at some point in your cycling career is VERY real.

Children do not ride bikes like we used to when I was a kid. The streets just aren't safe enough to let kids ride unsupervised. Yes, my kids ride with me and they both wear helmets.---Marc

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i'm riding a short distance, i just use whatever i'm wearing but if its a long ride (i sometimes go overnight cycling with friends around singapore), i will wear cycling shorts, with another pair of shorts or pants on top for the sake of modesty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you shouldn't wear underwear underneath though, because the purpose of the material is to wick moisture away and the underwear would get in the way.

i'm currently looking into mounting an arc lsh-p to my bike as a headlamp to replace the crappy 4xAAA whackjob that came with the bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I'll be riding BNY this year as I have since 1993 - It's probably the only bike ride that takes at least fifteen minutes to move after the start and where;

- 10 mph is dangerously fast
- You can practice your track stands for the first hour
- You can walk the first 5 miles faster than you can ride
- You may HAVE to WALK the first 5 miles!
- It's not a bike ride, it's a happening!

Seriously though, BNY is a lot of fun for what it is. I work in NYC just up from Battery Park and a number of people from my office go every year. you'll probably be OK without shorts for a short 45 mile ride, but that about the limit. I did a lot of casual biking in the 70's and I wouldn't have been caught dead in Lycra shorts back then. In the late 80's I started racing a bit and I no longer had a choice of whether to wear them or not. Wear the right clothes or don't bother.

Up until about 1995 I was riding about 14k miles a year and riding in 15-20 races a season, sometime more. These days my time is really limited and I only ride about 6k a year with maybe a couple of 6 day tours (Bike Virginia and Bike Maryland) and a few duffer races riding M4 where I'm happy to just not get dropped completely.

You really do need good shorts. A 100 mile ride without them will leave you bleeding, sore and off your bike for weeks, you won't do it again without shorts. The shorts slide, taking the wear off your thighs, which otherwise will give up skin.

Bike shorts may not look like much but you've got to have them on long rides, and I don't mean the baggy type either, they're for casual riding at best. Baggys may look better but you won't like them much the first time you catch a leg on the seat nose in a hard sprint - it can change your voice, your whole outlook on the rest of the day even if you do stay up.

Someone else mentioned that you don't need to spend $80.00 on shorts and their right. Those are top retail prices. Performance, Nashbar and others have good quality pairs for under $60.00. Look for 6 panels, the fit and durability is better. I've had several pairs of Cannondale branded shorts for years and they've withstood incredible punishment including some hard falls. I finally managed to destroy one pair in 1999 while on a 6 day tour. I was nailed hard by another rider on a steep downhill and went down at over 45mph. His aerobar went into my rib cage - 3 days on life support with 2 punctured lungs and 8 broken ribs, 3 more in intensive care. The shorts and my jersey were ruined but I didn't lose any skin where they covered me, Lycra is tough stuff.

Al

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
Another thing (too much advice..I know), I don't know what type of shoes you wear when riding, but if their lace up types with no velcro tap to hold down the lace ends, take a tip and slap a piece of duct tape over the tied laces before you ride off.

It may look a bit dorky but it's not nearly as embarrassing as when you realize that your shoe lace is caught in the chain ring, but only briefly, then it's painful. Probably the only time I've felt stupider is when I come to a full stop, only to realize that I haven't unclipped. Damn!...crash!, red face..look around, did anyone see me?, get outta here.

Al

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
That works when you are only "slightly" fat, when your in the range I'm in, you break bicycles

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a story to tell here, please bear with me a moment because I feel it's important for anyone..anyone, who thinks they can't exercise to reconsider.

-------------------------
In 1996 I was in the hospital from a crash during a mountain bike race that fractured my spine. I was in a room with a man about 10 years older than me, his name was Warren. Warren was badly overweight, diabetic, discouraged and otherwise in **** poor health. He was a nice enough guy though, just not motivated to lose weight and change his diet. His wife, knowing my hobby, asked me my opinion on what she could do to get him to exercise some and hopefully improve his overall health. Both were in their early fifties.

Since I knew from our conversations that they were financially well off, I told her to buy him a bike, an expensive bike. She thought about then asked me what some of the best bikes were. Two days later she rolled in a full Campy equipped Litespeed Ultimate ---- six grand worth of bike, along with a complete set of riding gear as well. Helmet, shoes, shorts, jersey, etc..

She put the bike at the foot of his bed where he could see it and talk about it (and I could drool over it). At first he made fun of it all but by the time I was discharged we made had a pact to ride together and I would help him get started.

Six weeks later I was healed enough that I could ride again (carefully) and, with some difficult got Warren on the bike for his first ride in 40 years. We did almost 10 miles that day. Six months later Warren finished a 40 mile ride, he was exhausted but he did it. By the following summer Warren was riding 5-6 days a week and completed his first century, he had dropped over 60 pounds and no longer needed insulin for his diabetes. Think about that for a moment. Warren had used insulin for nearly 8 years and now he wasn't using any at all. The best the doctors could do for his diabeties was insulin, exercise eliminated the need entirely.

Warren moved to Florida the next year but continues to ride today. When I first saw him in the hospital, Warren weighed almost 300, now he's at 180, his health is excellent and so is his outlook on life. We remain friends and occasionally see one another.

I don't take any credit for his success, he made the decision, not me, he rode each one of those early, painfull miles. I was just the catalyst that enabled him to do what he needed and really wanted to do. And anyone who really wants it can achieve the same results without six grand worth of stuff either. That was just a motivational tool that happened to be available because of their financial position. Warren was a difficult case and It helped, but it wasn't essential to his success, his determination was the key factor and having someone to help him get started and setting goals that were within his vision and reach.

Decisions - some can change the rest of our lives. Please think about that.

Al

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Oh, I'm starting exercise, but with walking - riding at THIS point is out. 1-2 miles of walking as a start. Get down 75 lbs or so before I get on the mountain bike, and about 100 before I get on the road bike - It's sitting on the stand as a reminder

Charlie

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
Oh, I'm starting exercise, but with walking - riding at THIS point is out. 1-2 miles of walking as a start. Get down 75 lbs or so before I get on the mountain bike, and about 100 before I get on the road bike - It's sitting on the stand as a reminder

Charlie

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad. I bought a bike with a frame made from extra-large tubing so that I didn't have to worry about breaking it.

BTW, I bought a pair of cycling shorts today. I got the kind with an outer set of baggy shorts. Believe me, I don't need to show my body to the world and the world doesn't need to see my body. Thanks for the advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I get blisters I'm going to rant at all of you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned
Naw! If you get blisters just think how much worse they'd have been WITHOUT the proper gear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tomsig03.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Hello All,

Just another quick note about the Lycra shorts - Since I'm kinda short and stocky, most cycling jerseys that fit my neck/shoulders confortably are a bit long on my torso.

Since I'm not much of an exhibitionist, the jerseys work for me because they are, uh, well, let's just say they're longer than I am. Long enough to cover the front for modesty when I'm off the bike.

I like the 3 rear pockets on the jerseys, also. Pockets on mountain bike/touring shorts can be a problem sometimes. If you still need something different, a small "fanny" pack can be great for on the bike as well. Plenty of room for those flashlights.

John

MicroE

Enlightened
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

I (and 35,000 of my closest buddies) completed the 42 miles of Bike New York today with my new bike shorts. It was a very nice ride. The Verrazano Narrows Bridge was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think the Queensboro Bridge was worse, but that's probably because I let my blood sugar drop at that point. I must remember to eat regularly during long rides like this.

Now I'm going to look for other long group rides. I got a lot of exercise and I feel GREAT about it.

No blisters, no coronaries, and no real pain to speak of.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice.---Marc

iddibhai

Enlightened
congrats! the feeling after pulling yourself through one of those is fantastic; back when i ran cross=country in high school, i was the best shape ever, now i'm a lazy college kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif need to start working out again fer shure <g>

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
Congrats! - I was there too - it was a nice ride but just a bit cool in the morning for me, I'm one of those people who like hot weather.

Al