bite piece for small light?

greenLED

Flashaholic
...my brother and his weird lighting needs again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif so he asks... the family flashaholic... at your service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What he wants now is a way to hold a small light with his teeth/mouth. I pointed out the Nite Ize Lite Bite, but AFAIK that's too large to hold an AAA-light (such as the Mag Solitaire, or maybe an Arc-AAA/Peak light, which what he'll likely be using it with).

Any ideas where I can get an AAA-sized biting holders for him? Or maybe an alternative solution to fit an AAA light? Or a completely different solution (he needs to have both hands free and can't use a headlamp).

I just tried biting the Kroll on an Arc LS, and something similar would work nicely. The Arc LS is not something I'm considering right now, though, 'cuz my bro lives where 123's are neither readily available nor cheap.

vtunderground

Enlightened
He could just wrap a loop of electrical tape around the flashlight body. Or use some of that heat-shrink rubber insulation stuff they have for electrical wiring.

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vtunderground said:
He could just wrap a loop of electrical tape around the flashlight body. Or use some of that heat-shrink rubber insulation stuff they have for electrical wiring.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking along the same lines. Self vulcanizing tape wrapped a few turns around it and trimmed neatly should provide a nice rubbery bite ring.

If it's unhealthy to bite on such tape I don't know though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

davidra

Enlightened
Ummmmm....anything wrong with a headlamp? I mean, we're talking about 4 or 5 inches difference.....

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use rubber tubing of the appropiate diameter. It is usually sold by the foot. One foot should be enough for at least a dozen lights. Check a good hardware store. I think the softer, stretchier stuff is better for this purpose.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same comment as DougS, except I use 1/2" ID clear pastic tubing like they sell for acquariums (69 cents/foot here). Put a piece over the tail switch of a Dorcy 1AAA with about 1/4" extending onto the body. It stiffens the tail cap so it doesn't come on by itself, provides a cushion for teeth, and looks better than rubber tubing.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
davidra said:
Ummmmm....anything wrong with a headlamp? I mean, we're talking about 4 or 5 inches difference.....

[/ QUOTE ]

He said his headlamp wouldn't work for what he's doing (and I did not ask what he's doing... I should've).

I think I'll go with the tubing then. Thanks, everyone!

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
What he wants now is a way to hold a small light with his teeth/mouth. <snip> Any ideas where I can get an AAA-sized biting holders for him? Or maybe an alternative solution to fit an AAA light? Or a completely different solution (he needs to have both hands free and can't use a headlamp).

[/ QUOTE ]

A completely different solution? What about buying another light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I find the ribbed plastic body of the UK 2AAA eLED is pretty easy to hold with the teeth, easier than any round light I know.

Looks like a perfect excuse to get one more light ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Hans