Blood Tracking - Blue Best?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm not sure to what extent this has been discussed...I searched and found some posts on hunting lights...but...

Is blue the best color for blood tracking? I know it increases contrast, but does it have to be used in conjunction with a blood color "enhancement" spray suck as "Luminol" (I think that's what it's called) or is blue fine by itself? If an enhancement fluid is needed, are there other products/home recipes that can be made?

Possibly buying a torch for my brother, I never needed to track my deer very far! Maybe I should get a big roast and go squeeze out some juices in my back yard...then do some testing?

I was also wondering about that with hunting season opening here in Michigan in two weeks. I have heard that blue helps, but what shade of blue works best. Would an LS with a blue tint work or does it need to be deep blue?

the one photo of blood under a blue light was very revealing. the poster said the blood had been cleaned off the wall so it was no longer visible but it certainly showed up under the blue light.
the photo was on bladeforums but unless you are a gold member the search function is disabled.

there was no info on shade of blue or photographic enhancement.

i would assume that a royal blue luxeon would work the best, being as it is bright, and contains some little uv as well.

Originally posted by Rothrandir:
i would assume that a royal blue luxeon would work the best, being as it is bright, and contains some little uv as well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're so right, that RB LED will do a fantastic job showing up anything that even slightly fluoresces..
shocked.gif

p.s. it's power can be very glaring (and irritating) to sensitive eyes in a very dark environment.

We used a cyan torch to illuminate a barbecue while we were in the States. The blood in the meat showed clearly black in its light. We waited until the liquid running out of our pork or beef chops ran clear and we knew that they were cooked!

No need to apply anything to the blood. Professional forensic lightsources are capable of these wavelengths and detection types:

400-680 nm White light band 280 nm General searching (footprints)

350 nm Ultra Violet band 80 nm General searching (stains, fingerprints)

415 nm Violet (blood filter) 40 nm Blood prints, splatter, gunshot residues

450 nm Blue 100 nm General searching (semen, urea, fibers)

470 nm Blue 40 nm General searching (ninhydrin prints)

490 nm Blue 40 nm General (semen, urea, fibers)

505 nm Blue/Green 40 nm Superglue and ninhydrin treated prints

530 nm Green 40 nm DFO treated prints, background reduction

555 nm Green/Orange 27 nm DFO treated fingerprints, background reduction

590 nm Orange 40 nm Ninhydrin treated prints, background reduction

620 nm Orange/Red 40 nm Ninhydrin treated prints, background reduction

650 nm Red 40 nm Ninhydrin treated prints, background reduction

(Got this info from an Australian forensics products maker some time ago...)

I noticed on SF web site under the new E20 it talks about the blue filter for it helping to see blood.

For some reason I ordered a blue filter for my E2E-HA (and a red and a beam shaper - flexibility I guess)...I'll throw one on the next time we cook some bleeding meat and check it out!

one also could bring a small bottle(small sprayer or mister) of hydrogen peroxide to make a small spot of blood bigger and easier to see.

Originally posted by INRETECH:
I think you need to apply some chemical to the blood, and then expose the area to UV
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you could locate the blood in order to apply the chemical, my guess is that you wouldn't need a light to track the blood anymore.

I use the inova x5t blue when hunting. Shows the blood trail very nicely. I put scotch tape over the face and it smoothed the beam right out
smile.gif
Got the info for tape right here on CPF. Tape stays on too.

Originally posted by darell:
If you could locate the blood in order to apply the chemical, my guess is that you wouldn't need a light to track the blood anymore.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They spray an area where there could be blood and then use the UV to see if anything shows up. If there is blood residue that can't be seen (like if somebody tried to clean it off), it'll be visible.