Boy, was I wrong about my Spark SX5

lightcrazed

Newly Enlightened
I kind of slammed my new SX5 a few months ago because I wasn't crazy about the UI and the long cord between the light and the battery holder in the back. Since then I've been using it often at work repairing showers needing grout and caulk work and anywhere else I need hands-free light. It's fantastic for putting light just where I need it. I have a Wobblelight- that's a big metal halide work light- that I used to take to jobs because it throws a lot of light, but the Spark I can wear on a baseball cap and hardly know it's there. I finally stepped up to a 26650 battery, and I get 10 hours of runtime on a charge on High- 180 lumens. That may not sound like a lot but it's damn bright.
I also got a new bicycle this summer and discovered the Spark is amazing for riding. It fits below my helmet- in a lumpy fashion, admittedly- throws an amazing beam on High that lights up the road far ahead, and if a car is approaching from a side street, all I have to do is glance over at it and there's no doubt the driver knows I'm coming. There's also a Super mode at 350 lumens but I've never needed it. I've ridden at 6AM and 10:30 PM and it's pitch black out there. With a flashing red light on the back and the Spark on my head I'm safe, seen, and having too much fun!
I've basically fallen in love with the thing. As I get older I need more light on jobs. This baby has two useful light levels for work, plus a silly (to me) Low that barely lights up, and a Super that's too bright for anything I've found yet.
The bulb in mine is the cool white, it cost around 75 bucks, it's actually waterproof, which I hope not to have to test unexpectedly, and I only wish I had found it sooner. Yes, the cord is long because it's made to wear on a hard hat. I can deal with that.
John

Latest posts