Brightest LED bulb for installation in a Keylight

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering what the Brightest LED I could get for a Keylight. I recently purchased 20 Keylights, and I am hoping to change their current LED's with more high quality ones.
I already have some Keylights with the 35K bulbs. Are there any other LED's brighter than that? I was thinking the Nichia CS (for sale in Group Buys Forum) might be better than my 35K's. Is this true?

If someone could tell me what is the best possible LED for my Keylights, that would be great.

Thanks ! :)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be able to install a single 13 lumen 8mm diameter white led into a keylight. It would depend on the keylight though. You might also have to shave off the small flange that goes around the base of a 8mm diameter led. The problem with the 8mm leds is that they require considerably more current then their 5mm counterparts.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but a couple of those 8mm LEDs are SWEET!

I just got a green one in... 100ma jobbie... That thing is AWESOME. MUCH brighter than a 1W Luxeon. It is a more robust design that I've seen before... the leads are very thick and kinda square.

A Quest host with this LED is currently my favorite around the house light!

To the original question, to my eyes, the 35k and the CS LEDs are about the same brightness when just on 2 cells... The CS really comes alive when driven closer to it's full spec or slightly over.

Anyone ever put an MJLED - or better yet an uncut MJLED - in a keychain light? With their low Vf, it should be impressive even if it doesn't give the best runtime.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Yes, these 13 lumen 8mm are really bright and white. They even come in a screw in bulb base.

PICT0293.jpg

PICT0294.jpg

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer the 26K led over the 35K led. I have both and while the 35K is a bit tighter, (and hence-brighter) the 26K is much closer to what my eyes see as white.

I also kinda like the idea of underdriving a 1 watt luxeon emitter in a keylight. It would be a usefull small floodlight for close in illumination.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some of the Nichia CS from Grumpy today. I already have some of the 35K, and I hope the Nichis can compare to them.

Thanks for all the responses so far. :)