Budget Showerhead Mag Drop-in.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
The "mod" is nothing more than a piece of either PVC or hot water hose, either of which can be found at auto or hardware stores large enough to fit the 123's and slips into the Mag body...nothing more to it.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd probably fit two 18500's in there quite nicely too.
They fit great though the spring is too long ... I just squeezed the spring with pliers till it was short enough to fit nicely ... Only snag now is that two C cells don't fit properly unless I use magnets.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
18500's should be the same length as AA's and C's.
I can only say what I did when using two protected 18500's in my 2C Maglite ... To avoid too much pressure on the PCB's I chose to squeeze the spring down a bit in length ... If you want to risk using perhaps too much spring pressure on the PCB's or if your 18500's are unprotected (shorter) then it's up to the user to decide ... I was being cautious ... It does work very well though.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only say what I did when using two protected 18500's in my 2C Maglite ... To avoid too much pressure on the PCB's I chose to squeeze the spring down a bit in length ... If you want to risk using perhaps too much spring pressure on the PCB's or if your 18500's are unprotected (shorter) then it's up to the user to decide ... I was being cautious ... It does work very well though.

Fair enough. What brand are you using? I know some are a bit longer than others, by as buch as a few millimetres.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough. What brand are you using? I know some are a bit longer than others, by as buch as a few millimetres.
I'm using Trustfire (silver/grey) 18500's ... Their length is 52.60mm and my Duracell Procell C's are 49.27mm long.

I've tried with the Duracells and they do work without the 3mm magnet even though the spring tension isn't as strong as it was originally.

I still think that the 2C is neater than the 2D , but my Wife has appropriated the 2C conversion ... Typical !

I do like the fact that the 2D will take two D cells (if necessary) or six AA's or (normally) two 18650's.

bowlingblogger

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Fusion 36 and installed it in my 6D Mag, but unfortunately I cannot get it to light up at all. I tried it both with and without the bulb retaining ring installed, and nothing. I would like to check to make sure the drop-in is not dead with my multimeter, but I don't know how and I don't want to experiment for fear of blowing it up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sorry for what must seem like a very noob question...

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
I have to say that since the XM-L emitter has come about in P60 format, my Fusion 36 has been gathering serious dust!

The very thought of loading my Mag 3D with 6 AA cells seems like such a waste of AA cells these days, given the runtime I have experienced from my Fusion 36.

Last edited:

fomoco6.8

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Fusion 36 and installed it in my 6D Mag, but unfortunately I cannot get it to light up at all. Sorry for what must seem like a very noob question

Don't worry about the "noob questions", We all have gained knowledge here. Like my late grandfather used to tell me..."The day you stop asking questions is the day you start dying". I had some issues with mine when I first started using them. Be sure to loosen the head before you tighten the lens/drop-in. I would even take the adjusting head completely off to install the drop-in and lens, that way you know THEY are tight. Then reinstall the head and tighten in down until it begins getting tight. you can cycle the switch while doin this too. when it comes on, you know that it's begining to compress the bulb holder spring.

Good luck!

bowlingblogger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, fomoco6.8...before I saw your advice I tried tightening and loosing the head several times with the switch turned on, and I also monkeyed around with the drop-in with the head off to see if I could get it to light up by applying varying amounts of pressure with it to the bulb housing--still nothing. I gave up and decided to return it to the vendor, who issued me an RMA right away. The only problem is that I'll probably have to wait at least another month before I can a working drop-in :(. Oh well, if it works in the end I will be happy!

dizhu

Newly Enlightened
I installed fusion 36 on a Mag 2C bored for two IMR 26500. It is now my go-to household flashlight.

Update:

I bought two and one aluminum rim is marginally low compared to height of the led. Fully tighten down crush the glass lens. Since the drop-in is directly pushed to the lens by bulb tower's spring, I found that 46mm x 2mm (ID x cross) O-ring fits perfectly between the showerhead and the lens.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what a good addition to this dropin is? One of Shao's Glow-in-the-dark diffusers :)

An excerpt from my small review in the CPFMP sales thread:
"First up is a 4C mag with a Fusion 36 dropin. For those who are unfamiliar with the Fusion 36, it's a great bang-for-buck 5mm showerhead dropin thats usually sourced from eBay. Newer version use warm Nichia emitters, but mine's an early version with lots of angry, belligerent and violent blue. Thanks to me using the Daylight setting on the camera, it doesn't look too bad in the pic.

Stock Lens
Fusion%2036%20no%20filter.JPG

Pale Yellow Diffuser: Slight colour change, much more even beam.
Fusion%2036%20pale%20yellow.JPG

Dark Yellow Diffuser: Much more drastic colour change, even smoother beam. There's a slight drop in output, due to the darker filter.
Fusion%2036%20dark%20yellow.JPG
"

bowlingblogger

Newly Enlightened
I sent my dead-on-arrival Fusion drop-in back to the seller and they fixed it and sent it back with epedited shipping--took less than a week to get back, and now it works like a champ. So not only is the drop-in great, but so is the seller!

DaveG

Enlightened
I sent my dead-on-arrival Fusion drop-in back to the seller and they fixed it and sent it back with epedited shipping--took less than a week to get back, and now it works like a champ. So not only is the drop-in great, but so is the seller!
Good to hear he backs up his product.I am thinking about ordering a 2nd one.

bowlingblogger

Newly Enlightened
I just had to pay return shipping (about $4 USA to HK). My 6D is an unbelievably intimidating light cannon now! I have it running on 12AA NiMHs (with 6AA-->D adapters).

Latest posts