Building a machining website

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my website myself and is super easy going through office live. Cost is like $40 a year.

Mac

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Your web designer / webmaster deserves kudos.
+1

He did all the hard work. I provided only an outline of what was desired plus basic information about rates, services, etc. He made it all look great & he also made it read & flow the way a business site should. At this time the site is 95% done & still needs a bit more detail in some areas. Drilling titanium is easier (for me) than writing web copy :)

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'd call it 98% finished at this time :)

If you now go to the site you'll see that the main page is text with a small slideshow to the side (on on the bottom of a mobile device). All the search engines like text because of the key words that can be found & that's why the front page was changed. A Google search of either "precisionworks" or "precision works" consistently shows the site at #10 (bottom of first page). Google shows 246,000 results for those words so a top 10 placement seems decent. A different name would surely rank higher as there are a bunch of precision works companies in the world.

Now it's time to optimize the SEO for local results.

BVH

Flashaholic
Barry, I like this a lot better. It struck me as "mainstream" the moment it was presented. In this case, "mainstream" is a good thing.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I like it too.

I'm surprised that your name is not shown anywhere, nor is your phone number. Sometimes people like to talk to a live person. My personal feeling is that I bypass vendors that have no phone listed.

That info is listed in the domain name registration, so it's not like you are keeping your name out of the public eye. If you don't want to answer it, then let the answering machine do that for you.

I'd suggest that your name / number be added to the 'contact' page, but I may not be typical in that regard.

Daniel

precisionworks

Flashaholic
TYVM :)

surprised that your name is not shown anywhere
Just added that on both the main page & the contact page.

nor is your phone number
Added to the contact page.

No particular reason that my name was never included. The phone number was left off to deter phishing & non-business calls from people like Peggy ... if you don't know Peggy, here "she" is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8L2cI8brzQ

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it a lot more than the previous incarnations! great evolution.

Now for the constructive critic:

The rates tab, do you need to put your rates? I mean, I may be totally wrong, but how many times a new customer called you because they saw and likes what you charge? The customer always wants to pay less :)

Did an industrial customer ever paid you with paypal? or its there just for flashlight mods directed from here?

IMHO the rate is better discussed over the phone or in person, you can wiggle a little to get the job, or not. Also when posting fixed rates I think you are leaving money over the table, you know, its not the same to do the exact same work for a customer you are happy working with than doing it for another customer that is a ROYAL PITA from start to finish.

I know, I know, it's more fair to know what are you going to pay in advance, its honest, but honesty is better proven by doing an excellent job and not cutting corners.

Non related to rates: you should add an email address such as info @ precisionworks.co or barry @ precisionworks.co all of these, can be redirected to your @frontier address, so thats invisible to your customers, then you can continue email correspondence from your usual account if you want to.

Pablo

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Pablo,

I appreciate you taking the time to look over the "new" site :)

do you need to put your rates?
I can't see any reason not to, as those are the rates charged to every customer. My orthodontist customer (with four offices) is charged no more than the person who needs a single shaft turned down. If the rates keep a person from contacting me or doing business with me that may be a benefit to us both. There are shops in my area that charge less so if someone is price shopping this allows them to look further. There are also shops that charge more & that makes my rates pretty attractive.

when posting fixed rates I think you are leaving money over the table
I don't believe you'll find even one penny laying anywhere around here :nana:

Even though shop rates are posted in my shop I always "range" any job estimates. Something like "That job will cost about $250-$300." My estimates are always on the high side as it is easy to lower the price but impossible to raise it.

add an email address such as info @ precisionworks.co or barry @ precisionworks.co all of these, can be redirected to your @frontier address, so that's invisible to your customers, then you can continue email correspondence from your usual account if you want to.
That is a great idea. I've seen that on lots of sites & never even thought to do it on mine. That will be done today.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Did an industrial customer ever paid you with Paypal? or its there just for flashlight mods directed from here?
Good catch on that, Pablo. I changed the wording to read "We prefer Paypal for safe & secure online transactions."

Most business/industrial customers pay by check as they are local. Some have Net 30 day accounts, others pay when the job is completed. For the Net 30 customers I offer a 5% discount if the invoice is paid within 10 days. It's surprising that not every customer takes the 5% discount.

Black Forest

Newly Enlightened
Now that you have done all this work you might, no you sure don't want to hear my input!!!! Use a Content Management System based website. You then won't need a Web master or anyone else's help to manage your website. It will enable you to update your website easily and frequently. Most small business's let their sites stagnate. You are never done on your website. To keep people coming back to your site they want to see updates and new info. Create a following so to speak.

Your site looks good but it just needs a little more to be great!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The website is Wordpress based so it's pretty easy to add new content/edit what is already there. Further more there is now a blog section (wasn't there originally) which I'm sure Barry can fill with good stuff - basically the same sort of information he regularly updates his sales threads with.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Use a Content Management System based website. You then won't need a Web master or anyone else to help to manage your website.
Some people write good clear sentences, use correct phrasing, etc. - and other people run machine tools. Quite a few tech experts write HTML with their eyes shut - that's a continual struggle for me. I've viewed a number of websites done without professional help & they either look great (like the ones Pablo built) or they look like a trit slot chopped out with a dull axe.

For me there's no way around the tech support & professional writing skills of a Web Master.