Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Heat n Eat

69474926420__E91BF3CE-88A4-40FA-8E26-A4DBA74A5F55.fullsizerender.jpeg

Poppy

Flashaholic
@Chauncey Gardiner
That heat and eat looks delectable!
:)

Tonight's dinner, and perhaps tomorrow's too:
Honey dipped, Coconut fried chicken, with rice, and green beans.

VTJLaixiTh_izH_onEddWQfVQO=w700-h933-no?authuser=0.jpg

3GOCEAwr62xqxjy6h6rl_GpW00=w700-h933-no?authuser=0.jpg

You really have to try it.

Cut up some chicken,
roll it in some honey (I heat mine and dilute it with a little bit of water),
bread it with a mixture of coconut flour, and coconut flakes
Fry it in coconut oil.
Done!

Coconut oil is semi-solid at room temperature, like crisco.
You DO NOT want to pour it down the drain!!!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Southern Fried Chicken, carrots, corn, raspberry applesauce.

Y-cRDoMhzfui5mNvAtTeYGIfe4=w700-h933-no?authuser=0.jpg

4i_Ir_YxmpIRuqAIxNLgU-cOdL=w700-h933-no?authuser=0.jpg

The chicken was double dipped in seasoned flour.
Dip in flour, then egg wash, and back into the flour, and finally into the olive oil pan.
Pulled out at 165F.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Treating my self to mids pasta sauce stuff is the best so Good but dang near 5 bucks a jar!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Meatloaf attempt #1:
Having never made a meatloaf before I looked up recipes. Many called for stuff I didn't have or don't want in it. I needed to know the basics like how many eggs, bread crumbs and how long to cook it. I do remember 350 degrees.

1 pound ground turkey
2 tbsp worschtershire sauce
3/4 cup bread crumbs (plain)
2 tbsp ketchup
1 egg
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper.

I mixed the concoction in a glass bowl for about 2 minutes and made a loaf out of that.

Placed into an alluminum meatloaf pan sprayed heavily with cooking spray. Topped it with seasoning salt.

Mrs Fixer said 45 minutes. I'm going to stab it with a meat thermometer at 40 minutes looking for 160 degrees.

Will report back later. It smells good cooking.....

The Hawk

Enlightened
I am a fan of ground turkey meatloaf. Your ingredients look almost exactly like how I make mine. I hope yours turns out good.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks Hawk.
It turned out well. After 40 minutes it was 170 in the core and juice flowed out of the thermometer holes.

The topping of seasoning salt put "salty" over the top. Other than that I won't change much next time. More garlic flavor, less salt. And Mrs Fixer suggested shredded cheddar cheese.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Oh... I would definitely go with shredded cheese!!!

I make mine with beef, or beef and pork, but with handfuls of shredded cheese.

There was a truckstop diner locally that was known for its meatloaf. When they changed hands, the local paper printed their recipe. It included three types of shredded cheese, cheddar, swiss, and american.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I grew up eating meatloaf using beef. Usually with green peppers and onions and loaf bread for binder. That was what was served so that's what I ate, right? The side dish was often green beans so I simmered a can full in butter while the meat cooked.
8B84910C-D54A-4B9D-9296-1FFFE1B17A48.jpeg

The ground bird gave it a sort of closed spam like texture instead of the coarse, grainey (if you will) texture of beef. In my younger days that alone would have been reason to dismiss it. But I'm going to take another stab at it at some point when. Last night it was a thing of either having spaghetti again or hamburger helper. Or try something different.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
The ground bird gave it a sort of closed spam like texture instead of the coarse, grainey (if you will) texture of beef. In my younger days that alone would have been reason to dismiss it. But I'm going to take another stab at it at some point when. Last night it was a thing of either having spaghetti again or hamburger helper. Or try something different.

Might be there was simply not enough fats and moisture in the mixture.

To the 1lbs of ground turkey, you might try adding ~3 tbsp full-fat sour cream along with a tablespoon or two of butter, and then evaluate how moist the mixture is. You don't want it soggy, but you definitely want it moist. If needing a bit, then you can add 2-4 tbsp of whole-fat milk to the mixture (slowly adding, then kneading in to the mixture until the desired moistness is reached).

You can also finely chop about 1/4 cup of onions, a third of a red bell pepper, 2-3 cloves of garlic, and some chives or scallions. Those help break up the density. For flavor, I like adding a bunch of dried fenugreek (methi) leaves to the mixture, which helps with flavor and also slightly alters how dry/dense it ends up being. And a suitable amount of herbs and spices, of course (ie, sage, rosemary, fennel). I find that, with these, salt ends up unneeded (which is a nice bonus).

I think that'll end up being a bit less dense, resulting in a juicier and moister result.