Callie's Kustoms 18650 High Discharge Battery Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Try discharging with 2C and beyond and you 'll see the difference. This thread is about high discharge battery after all.

In a regulated light it is actually more important because the more the voltage sag, the driver will draw more amperage to compensate - up to the point that the battery cannot handle the load ( LiCo - 2C ). High drain cell - up to the C rating.

Capacity is of course important and is still the main goal for all battery manufacturers to pursue improvement.

Getting the right kind of batteries is important. You 'll need high discharge cells for high drain applications and high capacity cells for long runtime applications.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well , you cant have it each way .... :sigh:

+ 1A is max for me ... [ Imax B6 ]

And Im happy for anyone to do a controlled comparison ...

Still , the CK has good discharge - good capacity - and looks like decent safety . :thinking:

Looks like a hat trick [ or trifecta ] to me ...

If you dont like it , that's fine by me .. I enjoy testing stuff , and if it looks to be good , well , what can you do about that ? :grin2:

I can only do what I can do ...

But never forget , the proof is in the pudding ...

Please feel free to source a CK and test ... I look forward to the results ..

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I am under the distinct impression it does not matter what I do, how I "test" them or what the results are.

I'm done with this thread.

You have a low number of posts, so it is not clear to some of us who have used and tested many of the lithium ion batteries what the motivations and reliability of new cells may be for various applications that have been promoted over the years.

Many of us have seen a good variety of cells, from a good variety of manufacturers, and it is common to see many that are not presented accurately or in a fair manner, so your "short fuse" in response to our legitimate skepticism does not help to make your points.

Seeing these sold by this website ( http://callieskustoms.com ), selling a diversity from t-shirts to tire balancing beads, does not immediately instill a flashlight or battery enthusiast with confidence...until reliably questioned and proven.

There is also a practical question (in addition to safety--which does look enhanced with those PSS Panasonics over typical Lithium Cobalt chemistry cells) of how many light applications need a 10A draw to justify buying these.

The most important thing to see however are the actual discharge graphs at various amp loads to see how they actually perform and hold voltage. Doing those dead short tests is not really telling us as much useful of information as you think it does. We are not dismissing what your showed in your Youtube videos, some of us just think it is not the whole story of giving a fair evaluation to Lithium Ion cells.

We know Panasonic is a high quality and reliable brand, but it is better to take the time to look these up on Panasonic's website, so people can see original source information, which I did here, but it is still not complete information.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/cgr18650ch_data_sheet.pdf

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't question the quality of the CGR18650CH cells. I'm certainly not aware of any Panasonic Li-Ion cells that are "bad". I'm also certain that Panasonic has taken the time to develop this new technology to make the cell safer and, as a result, am sure that it most likely is.

As for the safety level of these new cells compared to IMR cells, some of what I've read, again from sources other than Panasonic, is that while the nickel added to the cathode of these cells does provide an additional safety layer, the simple fact that these cells store more energy becomes a factor in and of itself. So, if something does go wrong, there is more energy to fuel the problem.

I also agree with Lux, a dead short test really doesn't provide much useful information. I do appreciate xxllmm4 taking the time (and risk) to show what happens when one of these cells is short circuited. As I said before however, I've seen such tests done to other cells as well, but especially when "new" cells are used, it really doesn't tell you all that much. Also, I fear that such videos promote others to try attempting similar tests, warnings or not, without realizing the potential dangers involved.

Also, as far as I know, from other postings, xxllmm4 is Callie's Kustoms, or is at least affiliated with them. Perhaps doubters are not looked upon with much respect from this outfit. Personally, as I said, I don't doubt the quality of these cells, just the claim that they are as safe as IMR cells because of what I have seen mentioned elsewhere. It is fairly new cell technology, so as is usual, not everybody's ideas and opinions are going to be correct. Unfortunately, marketing teams seem to err quite a bit in this area, so it often pays to see what other's observations and opinions are, concerning a new product.

Dave

Chicago X

Enlightened
FWIW, I've been using some CK 3100 protected cells in a high-power light (3A tailcap) and they have increased in capacity about 100mAh after 3 cycles. They are reading out 2940-2980 mAh now.

I still LOVE my AWs, and use them in most of my lights (both IMR and 2900s). It's nice to see another option for high-quality cells. :twothumbs:

mitro

Newly Enlightened
Try discharging with 2C and beyond and you 'll see the difference. This thread is about high discharge battery after all.
Discharging one of these @ 10A I get 1862 mAh discharged to 3v. @ 5A its 2095 mAh to 3v. Unfortunately my AW IMRs are about 2 years old now so I can't make a fair comparison.

Last edited:

Ways

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in these cells as a complement to my current IMR cells so would it be fair to say that the CK high discharge cells are proven to be good in so far as the results returned from testing conducted to date have been favourable? and based on those results wouldn't it also be fair to say that in a device requiring a cell to perform at higher than 2C discharge rate these CK cells should perform at least as well as if not better than an equivalent IMR cell and almost certainly better than a Li-ion cell not recommended for high discharge?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
One review is not proof , but simply information that some one may find useful or not .
It is fair to say that the cell has performed well , has decent capacity , and as for safety - some one with much deeper pockets can delve into that , I believe the cell is fine to use , Im not going to get into this . [ There are several obvious points I could make - but I wont ]

Im impressed with this cell ...

If the reader is impressed ? , there is only a very small number of people with this cell , and Im not aware of anyone being un impressed or un happy with the performance ...

Anyone wanting to contribute hard data , is most welcome and wanted !

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I am interested in these cells as a complement to my current IMR cells so would it be fair to say that the CK high discharge cells are proven to be good in so far as the results returned from testing conducted to date have been favourable? and based on those results wouldn't it also be fair to say that in a device requiring a cell to perform at higher than 2C discharge rate these CK cells should perform at least as well as if not better than an equivalent IMR cell and almost certainly better than a Li-ion cell not recommended for high discharge?

With what we have seen so far, the best anyone can give to your series of questions would lean favorable ONLY because they are Panasonic brand (they are not "CK" batteries). If you are trying to measure them against the IMR (assuming a quality brand of IMR) to backup the Panasonic claim, you need to see discharge tests at various amp loads. Without that being done by at least a few independent sources (not just by a retailer who is slapping a re-branding sticker and then selling them), we just cannot give you a more specific honest answer.

Again, most of us are NOT saying they are necessarily being over-hyped or over-promoted. We are saying there just is not yet enough reliable information presented. I do not know if the RC Forums have tested these cells yet, but they have many sharp, and highly respected "tools in their forum shed." I would look there next if I was sufficiently motivated. Following that, I would do my own series of CBA-II discharge tests. I would also want to see more information from Panasonic about the recharge rate limits, and cell cycle life if routinely used at 8-10A loads. There are many factors to consider.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
With what we have seen so far, the best anyone can give to your series of questions would lean favorable ONLY because they are Panasonic brand (they are not "CK" batteries). If you are trying to measure them against the IMR (assuming a quality brand of IMR) to backup the Panasonic claim, you need to see discharge tests at various amp loads. Without that being done by at least a few independent sources (not just by a retailer who is slapping a re-branding sticker and then selling them), we just cannot give you a more specific honest answer.

Again, most of us are NOT saying they are necessarily being over-hyped or over-promoted. We are saying there just is not yet enough reliable information presented. I do not know if the RC Forums have tested these cells yet, but they have many sharp, and highly respected "tools in their forum shed." I would look there next if I was sufficiently motivated. Following that, I would do my own series of CBA-II discharge tests. I would also want to see more information from Panasonic about the recharge rate limits, and cell cycle life if routinely used at 8-10A loads. There are many factors to consider.

Wow !!!!! seriously , I cant believe you went there ... ONLY because they are Panasonic brand (they are not "CK" batteries).

Does this logic apply to everyone who slaps there brand on Panasonic cells ???? or any other cell ????

Just how many brand names outsource , and slap there name on a battery ??? And here I thought it was accepted practice ?????

(not just by a retailer who is slapping a re-branding sticker and then selling them) Hmmm , now if people don't buy these cells to test , how will we get independent results ??? Bit of a catch 22 ! And since there new , and only a hand full of people have them ??

Wow :sssh: , why do I feel this déjà vu !!!! :dedhorse:

Hopefully for the last time :

Please test these batteries !!! With sugar on top ...
Please - with sugar on top - report your findings !
Please - with sugar on top - I think everyone would just love to see some facts !

Yes , these batts are new , we need more people to play with them and provide feed back , I apologize with sugar on top , for being the ???? first ????

And my only sage advice is not to throw stones if you live in a glass house :ohgeez:

weiser701

Newly Enlightened
http://ir.teslamotors.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=526928

PANASONIC INVESTS $30 MILLION IN TESLA: COMPANIES STRENGTHEN COLLABORATIVE RELATIONSHIP

PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Panasonic Corporation and Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) today announced that Panasonic has invested $30 million in Tesla. The investment was made through the purchase of Tesla common stock in a private placement at a price of $21.15 per share. The investment builds upon a multi-year collaboration of the two companies to accelerate the market expansion of the electric vehicle.

Panasonic is the world's leading battery cell manufacturer and a diverse supplier to the global automotive industry. Tesla currently uses Panasonic battery cells in its advanced battery packs and has collaborated with Panasonic on the development of next generation battery cells designed specifically for electric vehicles. While Tesla's current battery strategy incorporates proprietary packaging using cells from multiple battery suppliers, Tesla has selected Panasonic as its preferred lithium-ion battery cell supplier for its battery packs.

Chicago X

Enlightened
...Without that being done by at least a few independent sources (not just by a retailer who is slapping a re-branding sticker and then selling them), we just cannot give you a more specific honest answer....
(Bold mine.)

This struck me as incredibly ironic (and humorous) since AFAIK, AW and Redilast do exactly that with their cells.

As a customer who has spent hundreds of dollars with AW, I can appreciate the quality of their top-tier cells. The same goes for Redilast, Callie's, and any other re-seller of the Panasonic brand.

Slartibartfast

Newly Enlightened
My thoughts exactly. AW and Redilast are doing the same thing and will probably be offering the same cells soon enough with their label attached.
Any bets on whether they will be viewed so negatively for making panasonics latest and greatest cell available to us? Methinks not.

(Bold mine.)

This struck me as incredibly ironic (and humorous) since AFAIK, AW and Redilast do exactly that with their cells.

As a customer who has spent hundreds of dollars with AW, I can appreciate the quality of their top-tier cells. The same goes for Redilast, Callie's, and any other re-seller of the Panasonic brand.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow !!!!! seriously , I cant believe you went there ... ONLY because they are Panasonic brand (they are not "CK" batteries).

Does this logic apply to everyone who slaps there brand on Panasonic cells ???? or any other cell ????

Just how many brand names outsource , and slap there name on a battery ??? And here I thought it was accepted practice ?????

(Bold mine.)

My thoughts exactly. AW and Redilast are doing the same thing and will probably be offering the same cells soon enough with their label attached.
Any bets on whether they will be viewed so negatively for making panasonics latest and greatest cell available to us? Methinks not.

There is a bit of a difference between applying a sticker to a loose / bare cell and taking a good quality cell, designing a protection circuit, spot welding on the PCB, adding a button top (if applicable) then heatshrinking it. More effort is involved, and this justifies the re-branding of the cell. I can't say the same thing about just slapping a sticker on a bare cell, however.

xxllmm4

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I said I was done but this last statment was so comical I had to reply :)

There is a bit of a difference between applying a sticker to a loose / bare cell and taking a good quality cell, designing a protection circuit, spot welding on the PCB, adding a button top (if applicable) then heatshrinking it. More effort is involved, and this justifies the re-branding of the cell. I can't say the same thing about just slapping a sticker on a bare cell, however.

First off I have not re-branded any battery. Simply putting sticker on a battery to direct people to your website is not "re-branding" The manufactures information is left on the battery on purpose!

Have you seen our 3100 batteries? Protection circuit added, button top added, and re-warped. So apparently these batteries are ok to "re-brand" even tho they still say "genuine Panasonic" I would also like to note we where the first company to bring the 3100's and the 2250's to the general market. We also sell the 3100's with spot welded tabs for people who want to build computer packs. Again a sticker was added to direct people to our website. I have made every possible effort to ensure people know these are PANASONIC BATTERIES!

Why would we add an aftermarket button top to a battery that comes from the factory with a button top installed? Who adds a protection circuit to an IMR battery? Lets look at the re-branding sticker a little closer....
+ Panasonic -
callies
kustoms
2250mah High Current
3.7v li-ion
Rechargeable battery

None of the manufactures information is covered up, its like when you buy a car from the dealer. Some dealers put on license plate covers that say where the car came from to hopefully boost sales. :thumbsup:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow , I must be getting old , id swear some one did just that with an IMR , you guys just wont stop digging a deeper hole !!!! :shakehead

Did I say something about throwing stones ? maybe not ! :ohgeez:

Slartibartfast

Newly Enlightened
Lol, this is too good.

Thanks for the laugh.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It is interesting to see the dramatic and emotional overreactions and misunderstandings of my last post. I recommend taking a deep breath, and go back and re-read what I wrote carefully.

First, we are talking about the CGR18650CH Panasonic cells referenced in this thread, not the 3100mAh cells which I indeed have called "CK" cells because they added a PCB, similar to what AW, Redilast, and others have done.

Notice that in my previous post, first sentence answering another question, I said those of us who have been around this forum (& RC Forums) for a while would LEAN FAVORABLY towards these cells BECAUSE WE KNOW THAT PANASONIC MAKES QUALITY CELLS. I made it clear that these are not "CK" cells, but are Panasonics with a CK label slapped on the side, and now being called on that website and in this thread as "CK" cells.

I did not say that CK was hiding anything. I said that experienced users would view these favorably BECAUSE WE KNOW THEY ARE PANASONICS. I then went on to point out that to give REAL answers, with specific performance side-by-side evaluations with IMR cells, you need to know the discharge graphs.

Furthermore, it is not adequate to accept discharge graphs ONLY from the manufacturer (even if it is Panasonic), or only from a re-branding retailer, as those may or may not be accurate. That is true if it is AW, Redilast, Wolf Eyes, Pila, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Sony, etc. Experienced users assume that the seller will be presenting the most optimistic performance charts possible. If you did some research, you would note that tests I have done, Silverfox, and many others do not show as high of performance graphs as have been posted by AW or Redilast.

A perfect example of what can go on if you take the graphs of a slap-on label reseller are the discharge graphs posted at www.cheapbatterypacks.com for many of the cells--especially the Elite brand of NiMH cells which give dramatically optimistic results. When Mike (owner) was questioned about how he got such high performance graphs, we found out he solders 12 AWG wire from cell terminals to testing leads, and waits until cells are heated up to their maximum recharge temperature ("too hot to hold"), then does the discharge immediately with a Competition Electronics CE Turbo-35. That is an example of what I would call stacking the deck as much as possible, and not a realistic scenario.

The point is that you need to take the information provided by the manufacturer, reseller, OEM rebrander, etc. with a grain of salt until independently verified by several sources with no vested interest in the outcome.

I am certainly saying that the CK videos of shorting the batteries and recording the start/ending voltage and infrared thermometer readings does not provide us all that useful of information. I said it was not irrelevant information, but it does not answer the questions that experienced battery users need to know when recommending one battery over another. If you are not familiar with how batteries are tested and compared, you can look through the various "shootout" threads in the pinned topics of interest thread here.

I personally don't give a crap who advertises or pays money to CPF regarding an evaluation of quality, performance, or reliability. In fact I have used Firefox AdBlock Plus to block all ads since they started being used, as I do on most website I visit. The reason many of us have high opinions of AW, Pila, Redilast, Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, LG, A123, Emoli, etc. is that they have been evaluated by many, and have a long-standing reputation. It is ignorant and incorrect to assume that the experienced users here and at RC Groups forums determine quality by someone being a reseller or supporter at CPF or any other forum. Are there some that make decisions based upon that basis? Perhaps...but they are not who I am speaking for.

Currently, there are many established quality companies striving for better safety while optimizing storage energy, and/or higher current output for certain applications. What I am saying is that these Panasonic cells (with or without a CK sticker) are likely a safer lithium cobalt formulation, and that we would lean towards their being a quality cell that may have some of the features of IMR cells. But until objective discharge tests are done by multiple sources; some reliable information is given about life cycles if 8-10Amps are used regularly; and proper re-charge rates to optimize longevity and performance are provided, we cannot say that these cells will work as is being promoted in this thread.

For example, what if we find out from Panasonic that regularly using these cells to discharge at 9-10 Amp rates only gives 50 cycles before deteriorating significantly? Are they still worth the money compared to a quality IMR? What if the 10 Amp discharge plot shows their voltage drops significantly below a quality IMR cell? Are they worth buying?

We don't have the answers to those and other typical questions that need to be answered before new cell technologies are recommended. All of your other emotional overreactions are unwarranted, and only serve to fuel doubts that some of us have raised about this reseller. I can tell you that with the responses in this thread to objective questions and missing test information, I would not recommend dealing with them. That's not how a new seller (CK) should behave on this or any other forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.