Can't find a reflector for Mag85? Check this Out!

AW

Newly Enlightened
Can\'t find a reflector for Mag85? Check this Out!

I was hoping to get a super Mag Mod quite some time ago. However, trying to get all the parts together from different sources is a big pain in the a$$. I think quite a no. of our fellow CPFers are still trying hard to grab, steal or rob some MOP reflectors. Couple days ago, I got some 3AA to D holders from Waion and I decided waiting no more and just went ahead to mod a Mag without the aluminum MOP reflector.
To start out, I bought an OSRAM Decoster 51 lamp ( 35W 12V 10 Degree ). I was tempted to buy the 50W lamp for the bigger output but I don't like the yellow beam.
Then I took apart a band new 3D Mag and cut out the top part of the switch assembly. With a little parts I bought from some hardware stores, I made that heat resistant switch ( Credit to CPFer KenHK who design this wonderful switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). The beauty of this new switch assembly is the bi-pin ceramic socket rated 100W @ 25V with heat insulated wire. Couple copper disc are also utilized for heat transfer to the Mag casing. Eventually, the residue heat conducted by the two screws ( further insulated by couple fiber corn rings )to the plastic switch body will do little or no damage at all. There is also no noticeable resistance found in this switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Another plus is you can adjust the focus of the lamp assembly by tuning the retaining nuts - No more out of focus lamps!!
Everything was put back together with the addition of a Borofloat glass lens.
The light output from the 35W lamp driven by 9 X 2100mAH Sanyo NiHM is No Joke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The beam is amazingly smooth and white with no visible artifacts. I have no idea of the total output but it is certainly 3X plus brighter than my 130 lumen SF 9N. I don't have the runtime yet but my wild guess should be around 30 something minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
The total cost of this super Mag is less than $65 and it is readily to be converted to a Mag85 when I can finally get an alum. MOP reflector.

PICT0047.jpg

All the parts required

PICT0048.jpg

The heat resistance switch assembly

PICT0049.jpg

The light engine with an OSRAM DECOSTER 51

PICT0046.jpg

The business end

PICT0045.jpg

Beam shot

Re: Can\'t find a reflector for Mag85 Mod? Check this !

Do you have part numbers for the lamp and the socket??

Thanks

Re: Can\'t find a reflector for Mag85 Mod? Check this !

I think the part no. for the lamp is #41865 SP. The socket is just regular bi-pin for quartz spot lights available from most light fixture outfit.

Re: Can\'t find a reflector for Mag85 Mod? Check th

Very spiffy!

Wilkey

The package says "12V". Is that right? If so, wouldn't it be underdriven on 9 consumer grade AA's? Even if they are holding a full 1.2 volts per cell, that is still only 10.8 volts. Am I missing something?

But in any case, good work. I like what you did with the mag switch core/pedestal assy.

Very spiffy indeed.

What Ginseng said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Love the whole idea, any runtime approximationg? Btw, you ought to bring this puppy along for the next gathering! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
The package says "12V". Is that right? If so, wouldn't it be underdriven on 9 consumer grade AA's? Even if they are holding a full 1.2 volts per cell, that is still only 10.8 volts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I registered the voltage reading of a single 3AA to D holder was around 4.1V when fully charged, making the total voltage to be around 12V. However, it is still considered underdriven by my standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I 'll try to run it with 11 AA NiMH and see what happens.

AW,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif
Check the life span of your bulb.
And use 12AA nimh to overdrive it if it has hundreds of hours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
You really need a AL reflector now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
The package says "12V". Is that right? If so, wouldn't it be underdriven on 9 consumer grade AA's? Even if they are holding a full 1.2 volts per cell, that is still only 10.8 volts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I registered the voltage reading of a single 3AA to D holder was around 4.1V when fully charged, making the total voltage to be around 12V. However, it is still considered underdriven by my standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I 'll try to run it with 11 AA NiMH and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fully charged voltage of a NiMH cell is on the order of 1.4 volts/cell. Yes. But this has no relation to the voltage under load. Draw any significant amount of current from the cell, and its' voltage will drop to 1.25 or less almost immediately. And your current draw will be very significant for the consumer grade AA cells you are using. Your voltage actually delivered to the lamp will be well under 10.8 volts, and thus you are WAY under-driving this lamp. You'd be better served by the WA 1185 with this power pack.

js,

Thanks for the input. I 'll get myself some WA1185s after I get my alum. reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

I have these bulbs in my house and wondered about using them in a Mag. I thought it would take a 4D Mag with 12 cells to drive the bulb properly. I also had the idea to get a socket for this bulb and adapt it to the mag.

My earlier idea was to madamag sim. to the Luxeon mods where you use a hotlips and Luxeon but for this application the hotlips would be modified and a G4 socket added instead of the pedestal of the hotlips. However what is in these photos is probably easier for the home craftsman. Lots of us have bulbs on the way so I'm going to attempt this mod myself.