Can't make up my mind SF 9P or WE M90X

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason I've got a burr under my saddle about getting a strong but inexpensive incandescent. I really want it as a "WOW" light, I don't have any practical reason/need for it so I have to keep the budget pretty darn low.

I was thinking about the Surefire 9P with a P91 HOLA (200 Lumens) but then Quickbeam reviewed the Wolf Eyes M90X Rattlesnake (300? Lumens).

Does anyone else have some hands-on experience with either/both of these lights?

I can't seem to decide. On one hand is the tried and true nature of the 9P, on the other hand is the extra power of the M90X (plus I can get an LED tailcap).

I know, I know...buy them both :ohgeez:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo Z Man,

I have 2 9P's and love them. One is stock and I run the P90 LA. I have a P91 but prefer the "tunnel vision" of the P90's hotspot. The P91 is more flood than spot IMHO. My other 9P is really a 6P+A19+KL3. I use the spent batteries from my incan 9P to power my LED 9P. The spent batteries usually have about an hours worth of regulated runtime left in them. Plus I got a FM64 beamshaper for the KL3 which gives a soft flood equivelent to my L2 on low.

Don't own a WE M90X so can't comment on it.

kelmo

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've got a 9P that I run with two of AWs 17500 Li-ions and the standard P90 lamp. I think it is a great light. I like it so much I've just ordered a 6P and one of the detonator extenders from Light hound to make an even cooler looking '9P'. I intend adding one of digilights DRB-9VHP LAs to hopefully get 175 lumens.

From Optics HQ i've ordered a KT2 for it (which might arrive one day...) and a MN60 225 lumen bulb that I will run on 4 123s using the extender, or for nice long run time I might use the N2 LA and two 17650s with the extender, the options become endless.

Go for the 9P!

(or perhaps a 6P + a detonator extender from light hound + a DRB-9VHP).

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds as though you'll be using the light for short bursts only, no more than four hours a year. You don't "need" rechargeables, so you can safely go with the Wolf Eyes 12V.

I've owned only one tactical lamp assembly whose beam impressed me more than the P91's: The G&P G120. It's like a P91 but a bit whiter, brighter, and wider. So don't overlook the Cabela's XPG 12V or Digilight T12.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Paul, I'll look at that. You are correct that this is really just going to be a "short zap" kind of light to really show people what a fairly small light is capable of.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of W-E/Pilas and they're nice but heavy. I believe the Pila GL4 was referred to as a "war mace" by the vendor from whom I purchased it. The M100 is no slouch in the weight department either.

-LT