Carclo P60 drop-in optics + beamshots. Quad XP-G2 vs 219 Reference tint comparisons.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ I actually prefer the R5-1C beamshot above the most. I guess because it makes the grass look much more green and healthy-looking.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...This is really great stuff. I've been a cool white fan for most of my flashaholic experience. These photos have confirmed what I've felt for a long time, that different color temperatures suit different applications (and there's always the tint lottery). In some pics I preferred the neutral tints, in other pics cool white wins hands down.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few things might look better, agreed, but I'd rather have things revealed to me as they are and not through false colored glasses. :D

I also think the "tint lottery" isn't some random fluctuation in CREEs tint grading that flashlight manufactures haphazardly get stuck with. After seeing several bins and their sub regions, I know now the "tint lottery" is nothing more than flashlight manufacturers buying a whole cross section of a stated color temperature and installing whatever it is on those reels.

For instance, whatever is in stock for 6500K LEDs may be ordered and includes regions 1A 1B 1C 1D (1D is CREEs whitest but probably hard to get) with each bin having a slightly different prominence in spill colors, green, yellow, blue, purple.

Sub-region designations in the warmer tint range gets even more faceted with things like 5B1 5B2 5B3 5B4 each with different spill tint variances. I can get a 4000K 5B4 and a 4000K 5C1 LED. The 5B4 will have an olive spill, the 5C1 an amber spill, yet they are both "4000K".

k0mr5x.jpg

So the blame is completely on the flashlight manufacturers. :D

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!

I've found that outdoors my slightly warmer than 219 emitters - 4C 4B 5B etc. - have a bit more contrast over the Nichia.

My fav is my quad XPE2 which I dont have the tint for but would guess as a 4B.

The yellower C tints have even more contrast in foliage but aren't quite as good in the mud & rock as the Bs are in my experience ;)

For downhill MTB the color rendering of the 219 is a bit overkill & not quite as useful as the extra output & contrast of the 4&5 bin Crees.
Both are wayyy better than cool tho- especially in mud & fog.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to go to bed when I stumbled across this thread.

Superb photography here,
and more than the 1,000 words needed to quickly and decidedly place
tints on my personal "favorite spectrum."

:)

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be possible to use both the 5C & 5B, and arrange the like emitters diagonally?
I don't see why not, same xp-g2.