Cars, Man

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
"El Matador" Sainz has now won with four different manufacturers. This time at the ripe old age of 61. Dude is amazing.
+

He's one of the best ever, for many reasons
was within just feet of the finish at the RAC Rally in UK & winning the complete '98 WRC Championship
and his car dies. Inconsolable

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_3057.jpeg

Helped my son work on his hot rod today. Tune up.
His "grocery getter" in the distance is an Acura TL AWD SH. That's my company owned explorer w/police interceptor package behind it.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
One possible avenue for those who are willing to become less uninformed about electric vehicles. Daughter of moderator looking for a used Chevy Volt. Skim through the beginning and posts that are not helpful.

Regenerative braking makes electricity; useful for those of us that live in hilly locations as well as stop and go traffic. Tires wear quicker and handling is more of a challenge in some ways.

Real people with extended experience:

Regenerative braking makes electricity; useful for those of us that live in hilly locations as well as stop and go traffic. Tires wear quicker and handling is more of a challenge in some ways.
Does it require more or less electricity to drive up the hills than is generated when going down the hills? Same question for stop-and-go traffic; Does one generate more power stopping than is needed to regain momentum?

I'm not asking to argue. I don't know the answer.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it require more or less electricity to drive up the hills than is generated when going down the hills? Same question for stop-and-go traffic; Does one generate more power stopping than is needed to regain momentum?

Yeah for sure (I think you know but being polite) more electricity to go up a hill than what is gained with regenerative braking going down. As far as electric bikes go, the hill needs to be steep enough to activate regen, though my bike has 5 levels of regen capability.

Thinking I read that regen with bikes perhaps gains 10% in real world use (but could be mistaken).

Simple thing about bikes is that the brakes are totally separate from regen, while cars integrate such that (from what I have read) a person is not sure when the wheel brakes kick in.

Reading that linked thread it seems a driver could get distracted messing with regen levels trying to maximize generation and extending longevity of the brakes. There are automatic regen options that are evolving.

It's clear EV's are not the full answer for most people at this time or into substantial years ahead. Reliability is super big in my book and the control technology is young.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

****spoiler***

Team Penske won the Daytona 24hr or Rolex 24 in their Porsche 963
..the 963 is a 4.6L V8 twin turbo hybrid

1706544239408.jpeg

also:
Team Penske owns two prior sports car victories at Daytona – a 1966 GT/GTO class win and the overall prize in 1969, when Mark Donohue and Chuck Parsons enjoyed a 30-lap cushion at the finish in a Lola T-70/Chevrolet.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

****spoiler***

Team Penske won the Daytona 24hr or Rolex 24 in their Porsche 963
..the 963 is a 4.6L V8 twin turbo hybrid
And the rear brakes are fly by wire and regenerative. The current LMP cars are ridiculous. Try to get a video with good sound and listen to one leaving pit lane. Very cool as the IC engine kicks in.

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened

Hi. I recall that the law of conservation of energy would preclude the energy downhill being the same or more. Otherwise you would have a perpetual energy device which is not possible. (Pity!)