CATAPULT OWNERS PLEASE READ - Potential Serious Problem - **SOLVED**

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
DM51,
Thanks for your question. We are currently making design changes that will remedy the issue. In our experience, if any grease escapes it is typically very limited in quantity but we are still striving to find a way to eliminate the issue completely. We are currently designing the next generation Catapult with the goal making improvements that fine-tune what we feel is already a very strong platform. The grease issue will be mitigated and a few new accessories will make their appearance.
Thanks!

I discovered last night that my catapult has leaked down the reflector and onto the lens. In fact my reflector is now a complete mess. There is far more of this stuff in there then I would have imagined and I am not happy. The catapult went from being one of my favorite lights to something else altogether. There is no way this reflector is going to clean up properly. :thumbsdow

Here are pictures that show the problem well but also make it look worse then it actually does:
4398887422_4ae15e540e_o.jpg

4398120277_6a028c9d8f_o.jpg

Last edited:

dirobesh

Enlightened
Major design flaw methinks - was about to get one of these to add to my recently bought TK40 and M2XC4 but after looking at those photos I'll be looking elsewhere - thanks for posting them and I feel your pain.

Olef

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that is a real mess. I was lucky enough to discover my 'leak' while it was still only at the base of the reflector around the emitter and a few cotton buds sorted it. This time anyway.

Your reflector seems to be of a different design to the one I have. Mine has a flat area at the base and fits tight around the emitter dome. Perhaps that is what stopped the leak developing so quickly for me.

This isn't good for a light that costs so much and is pretty disappointing. Perhaps ThruNite should consider replacing the light engine in all affected lights with ones that don't leak goo everywhere :(

Olef

stallion2

Enlightened
its not a total loss...add a little more of that stuff and you'll have the world's brightest lava lamp.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
I'm sure Thrunite or your dealer will send you a new reflector for free. That is a flaw, but the Catapult is a fairly new product, and it happens. Give them a second chance.

recDNA

Flashaholic
As to the title of this thread...in what way is the problem now "solved"?

Seems as though there is still problem that may at some time in the undefined future be solved right?

Igor Porto

Enlightened
It says solved because the strange liquid was explained by the manufacturer and offers no risk to the flashlight. If noticed around the LED, just wipe it off.

On the other hand, if it gets on the reflector, it's a whole new story.

Thrunite, what would you say about that?

stallion2

Enlightened
is it really impossible to successfully clean an SMO? i know you can't touch it, even w/ a lense cloth but has anybody tried a solvent like alcohol or acetone and then using a can of compressed air to blow off the excess fluid so it doesn't leave spots? w/ acetone you may even be able to get away w/out the blow drying but i don't know what kind of coating is on the reflector or if it will withstand any solvents.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
Well first of all I must say that I purchased my catapult from a fantastic dealer (flashcrazy) that I know will stand with me to some sort of successful resolution. I have experience with Jay and already know that his customer service is absolutely without equal. I like this flashlight dealer so much it pains me that he even has to be involved.

I posted here in this thread because I wanted thrunite to know that indeed there can be way too much of this stuff in their flashlight. Actually I think they should have known that this would be a problem. Grease and oil aren't going to stay put in a hot and apparently unsealed environment.

I can only grumble so much though as this has been a killer flashlight up till now. I really hope that thrunite can, and will, resolve this problem. I fear the excellent dealer is going to send me another flashlight only to have this happen again.

And to be fair I should mention one other thing... Despite the mess on my reflector, this stuff is so clear that you can't really see anything unusual in the beam. I find it kind of interesting actually. Also for those interested in the details, I had seen this thread and was looking for signs of trouble in my catapult. Just a few days ago it appeared to be clean as can be and doing just fine. I ran it a couple of minutes and placed it back onto the shelf. A few days later I pick it up to find it looking as pictured. Lastly, I have never adjusted or removed the head nor has the light ever run past the point of mildly warm.

Last edited:

Olef

Newly Enlightened
As to the title of this thread...in what way is the problem now "solved"?

Seems as though there is still problem that may at some time in the undefined future be solved right?

Good point! My original concern was that the liquid was conductive and could possibly cause a short and a :poof:. That's solved. I guess if you're OK with wiping out your leaky £100 flashlight then that is solved too. I'm open to suggestions on what the title should be if it still can be edited...

Olef

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well first of all I must say that I purchased my catapult from a fantastic dealer (flashcrazy) that I know will stand with me to some sort of successful resolution. I have experience with Jay and already know that his customer service is absolutely without equal. I like this flashlight dealer so much it pains me that he even has to be involved.

I posted here in this thread because I wanted thrunite to know that indeed there can be way too much of this stuff in their flashlight. Actually I think they should have known that this would be a problem. Grease and oil aren't going to stay put in a hot and apparently unsealed environment.

I can only grumble so much though as this has been a killer flashlight up till now. I really hope that thrunite can, and will, resolve this problem. I fear the excellent dealer is going to send me another flashlight only to have this happen again.

And to be fair I should mention one other thing... Despite the mess on my reflector, this stuff is so clear that you can't really see anything unusual in the beam. I find it kind of interesting actually. Also for those interested in the details, I had seen this thread and was looking for signs of trouble in my catapult. Just a few days ago it appeared to be clean as can be and doing just fine. I ran it a couple of minutes and placed it back onto the shelf. A few days later I pick it up to find it looking as pictured. Lastly, I have never adjusted or removed the head nor has the light ever run past the point of mildly warm.

I think you deserve a brand new flashlight personally.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
I am being very well taken care of. :thumbsup: I already knew that flashlightconnection had me covered but Thrunite is showing some strong support too. I am very thankful to both!

Customer support like this is pretty inspiring. I don't think anyone should worry about buying a Thrunite flashlight. This issue is a bummer... but at the same time the Catapult is pretty darn awesome. Apparently so is the support you get when you buy one.

Tractor man

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad this is being sorted for you. It is also really pleasing to see Thrunite stand behind there products, and sort any problems that they may have along the way....way to go Thrunite :thumbsup:. I know it will only be a matter of time before they crack this grease problem, and once they do, the catapult will be in my shopping cart.