CATAPULT OWNERS PLEASE READ - Potential Serious Problem - **SOLVED**

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Hi everyone! My Catapult arrived today! Very well built and bright! Right out of the box, the first thing I noticed is the heatsinking gel on the smooth reflector :mecry:

Around the LED, on the circuit's white cover was filled with gel and I cleaned it. I will monitor it for the next days and see if it builds up again.

I bought a OP reflector and I will use it instead of the damaged one.

I hope Thrunite will take care of me on this.

Thank you.

catapultreflector.jpg

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad i came across this thread while doing research, because i have a very high interest in this light. think ill wait until Thrunite fixes this problem.

could the grease cause hotspots, de-colorations, stains on the reflector, lens or any other component. its usually a rule of thumb when changing any lamps, or bulb that one should not handle it with bare hands because we have oils on our fingertips. and that oil will cause hotspots on the bulbs resulting in shorter life.

thanks Thrunite for addressing CPF about this. so how long before a new version or model is out?:wave:

uncle wong

Newly Enlightened
Tis problem solve ? A new batch of Catapult on the way to dealer ?
Seem no reply yet from Thrunite
Need to cancel my Catapult order lol :mecry:..Sorry Thrunite

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Hi Wong, I know that Going Gear received a new batch this week, don't know if it's 100% solved. But fear not, if it happens to you Thrunite will send you a new reflector. ;) No need to cancel your order, the Catapult is an amazing light.

And you know what? I'm really enjoying it's OP reflector, I don't notice much a difference in throw up until 150 meters, and the beam is ultra smooth and lights up a nice area.

uncle wong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Igor Porto for the TIPS
Better wait for new batch Catapult comment
Cuz the leak grease was very annoy

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Wong, one good tip is: ask your dealer to check the specific Catapult you're buying for any leaks around the LED and on the reflector. If there's leak only around the LED, ask him to clean it off, that's the excess thermal paste. Once cleaned, the chance of it leaking again are minimal and almost zero.

I ordered another Catapult from www.goinggear.com for a friend and I specifically asked Marshall to check for any leaks. Marshall is also sending me a new smooth reflector, Thrunite contacted him and told him to supply me a new one free of charge.

When I first ordered the Catapult, I had seen a few cases where the LED dome fell off because the reflector would touch the LED when the head was overtightened. I asked Marshall to fiddle around with the head and LED, overtighten a few times and check the dome. He did it and I haven't had this problem. That's great customer service ;)

stallion2

Enlightened
could the grease cause hotspots, de-colorations, stains on the reflector, lens or any other component. its usually a rule of thumb when changing any lamps, or bulb that one should not handle it with bare hands because we have oils on our fingertips. and that oil will cause hotspots on the bulbs resulting in shorter life.
the grease should be inert...i can't remember what the compound was but the only thing that is a risk is the reflector, especially an SMO, you may be able to salvage an OP if that stuff were to get on it. i think the hotspots you are referring to is something that is seen in high pressure incandescent bulbs. a finger print on the primary optic should be no more detrimental than deflecting some of the emitter's output before it reaches the reflector

When I first ordered the Catapult, I had seen a few cases where the LED dome fell off because the reflector would touch the LED when the head was overtightened. I asked Marshall to fiddle around with the head and LED, overtighten a few times and check the dome. He did it and I haven't had this problem. That's great customer service ;)

i bought one from Flashlight Connection the day it was released and have yet to see the grease issue. i did have my dome pop off from over-tightening, to the point where it bent the reflector and actually pushed that flange around the emitter opening upwards. i sent my emitter housing to Jay at FlaConn and he put another one in the mail the same day. i'm not sure what measures Thrunite took but they've already modded the design to alleviate any more dome issues. i'm still using the bent reflector and it works just fine. you may want to try this as a precaution though, its up to you:
Washerbtwheademitterhousing.jpg

feel free to post some beamshots comparing the SMO to the OP. i wouldn't mind seeing the difference.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
feel free to post some beamshots comparing the SMO to the OP. i wouldn't mind seeing the difference.

Here goes the beamshots. You can see the full comparison in this thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/264330

Building is 100 meters away

catapultop.jpg

catapultsmo.jpg

Looking at these pics, there's a noticeable difference in throw, although in real life the difference to the eyes don't seem that much, if any.

Latest posts