Cave Exploring Headlamp List - regularly updated, includes tech specs

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the first to admit my caving experience is very limited (but I want to do more, just haven't had the opportunity), but in my week of going through the tubes at Lava Beds I found a combination of three lights that worked for me like a charm. First was my ST5-190 on my helmet; worked just fine as the headlamp it is. Second was my SC50w+ on a wrist lanyard. Third was my Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST which has a very throwy beam profile for not being a dedicated thrower; I used it primarily for looking down longer shafts/tubes to see what was up ahead, otherwise it was kept in a pocket.

Many of the tubes there did allow walking upright, but I also explored several of the more challenging ones that required crawling or belly crawling for long distances. When I could walk upright, I found my handheld much more useful than my headlamp. When I was crawling or belly crawling, I still got tunnel vision from my headlamp, but solved this simply by pointing the light up so it illuminated the ceiling of the tube in front of me, and the splash lit the rest of the tube. This not only gave me an excellent view of the floor of the tube in front of me, but of the ceiling as well, which more often than not were covered in literally thousands of those little sharp ridges and spikes from the cooling lava dripping off the ceiling of the tube. Even with a helmet on they could do some serious damage if you weren't careful... So even when I had to belly crawl, I found the combination of a handheld and headlamp far more useful than relying on a headlamp alone.

I guess I'm just very puzzled why a lot of cavers seem at the very least, to scoff at carrying/using a handheld, if not being outright contemptuous of it, in favor of only using headlamps.

joanne

Newly Enlightened
I'm the first to admit my caving experience is very limited (but I want to do more, just haven't had the opportunity), but in my week of going through the tubes at Lava Beds I found a combination of three lights that worked for me like a charm. First was my ST5-190 on my helmet; worked just fine as the headlamp it is. Second was my SC50w+ on a wrist lanyard. Third was my Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST which has a very throwy beam profile for not being a dedicated thrower; I used it primarily for looking down longer shafts/tubes to see what was up ahead, otherwise it was kept in a pocket.

Many of the tubes there did allow walking upright, but I also explored several of the more challenging ones that required crawling or belly crawling for long distances. When I could walk upright, I found my handheld much more useful than my headlamp. When I was crawling or belly crawling, I still got tunnel vision from my headlamp, but solved this simply by pointing the light up so it illuminated the ceiling of the tube in front of me, and the splash lit the rest of the tube. This not only gave me an excellent view of the floor of the tube in front of me, but of the ceiling as well, which more often than not were covered in literally thousands of those little sharp ridges and spikes from the cooling lava dripping off the ceiling of the tube. Even with a helmet on they could do some serious damage if you weren't careful... So even when I had to belly crawl, I found the combination of a handheld and headlamp far more useful than relying on a headlamp alone.

I guess I'm just very puzzled why a lot of cavers seem at the very least, to scoff at carrying/using a handheld, if not being outright contemptuous of it, in favor of only using headlamps.

I've done a little bit of caving, a few lava tubes, and quite a few mines. Here's my take on it. Lava tubes tend to lie on a nearly horizontal axis. There my be a bit of scrambling involved, but in my experience it was never very challenging. The caves I've been in were much more challenging to climb through. It was serious scrambling to near technical climbing. I needed both hands to safely climb up or down. That's where the headlamp comes into its own. Finally, I do quite a bit of mine exploring with a significant amount of that being vertical exploration. With rappelling or rope climbing you need both hands available to control your descent or operate your ascenders. Holding a flashlight in those situations would be quite impractical. And of course, if you were to drop the light while on rope you could quickly be in a life threatening situation dangling on a rope in complete darkness.

All said all that, I always have a hand held light in my pocket when I head underground. It serves to purposes for me. First it is my backup light that I can retrieve without having to dig in my backpack to fish out my backup headlamp. Secondarily, I usually use my headlamp in flood mode so my handheld is my long throw beam.

Here's my headlamp that a friend of mine in England made up for me. It has a flood beam, a focused beam, and two 5mm LEDs for emergency. It runs off of a 3 cell 18650 pack. I really love this light. My Apex Pro is now my designated backup lamp (or loaner if someone needs a light).

MU_041.jpg

Joanne

P.S. - I apologize for being off-topic for the original subject of this thread.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
Wow that Spike V3 looks good to me.

Indeed - I'm really looking forward to finally getting mine! ;) Unfortunately for the most part it is only flood OR spot, with no real blending options and no low spot modes. I'll do my best to break mine underground, and we'll see if any other cavers get and use it. With any luck they will prove themselves dependable and AHorton won't regret all his hard work and the hefty financial investment - designing and building a custom run of high quality yet affordable handmade headlamps is absurdly difficult and few such projects make it all the way to production - the two (Spikelight V3 and Kavelight P60 host) from this forum are both amazing.

lovecpf

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahorton is moving it forward, he's mentioned the idea of open source programming for the light... By V4 it should be plenty reasonable to anticipate spot +flood options with a little bit of capital encouragement and feedback.
Because of this thread I read the Spike thread, and now I gotta reorganize my plans for the change jar.
I can imagine a fundamentally modular design becoming the eventual evolution of his light... Lots of possibilities.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
UIs can be difficult.
I tried in my own latest twin-LED unit to make one light with simple and more advanced modes to suit everyone, but even having done that, I found trying to explain it to people, I was losing the ones who would want a simple light by explaining the modes they were unlikely ever to use.
Tricky thing is, there are quite a few people who want 'simple', but they often seem to want different kinds of simple, and having different kinds of simple is itself complicated.

As a result of looking at a succession of glazed eyes, I dug back through my development notes and came up with one mode which is simple to learn and logical but very powerful, but faced with writing a user manual for the new version which included that mode, I decided to leave out all the previous modes in the manual even though I had left them available in the unit, to try and avoid putting off the people keen on simplicity, and refer anyone who really wanted to know about them to the old manual.

diggy64

Newly Enlightened
If you get a Kavelight, kevin will work with you on a custom UI based on your needs. It truly is a bargain given all the attention to detail he spends on each light.

If you need runtimes for Kavelight and/or CustomDuo let me know. Finals are over on Sunday and I will have time to do some testing. Shoot me a PM if I forget.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
If you need runtimes for Kavelight and/or CustomDuo let me know.

I own them both, but don't have any plans to try and list runtimes. I fear it would just confuse the inexperienced. Especially the Kavelight, which will likely have different dropins than mine or yours has.
Someone will put Alkalines in their CustomDuo or UltraFires in their Kavelight, complain that they got half or less of the listed runtime, and call me a liar. :D
Of course this is true with any light that takes consumer provided batteries - but at least with most of the lamps I can blame the manufacturer's specs.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I'd agree that changing batteries in cave is never fun. I've had mud saturate my boots, ruin the zipper on my coveralls, and come up over the cuff of my gloves and pour down into my hands many times. You have to be very cautious not to get mud all over your batteries or inside your light during the change. That's why I always look for a headlamp that will provide at least a 6 hour run time on an adequate lumen level.

I've used a Fenix HP-10 since 2009. Before that I used an earlier model PT Apex. I'd say 75% of the cavers I know use the PT Apex. A few others use a Sten-Light. Surely there are better options than these 3 lights though. I've heard a few reports of all 3 failing, less so for the Sten. But Sten never seems very quick to update their emitter.

I'd love to update to a headlamp with a High CRI option and improved run time, so I'll be watching this thread with interest!

luxlucis

Newly Enlightened

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened
An interesting headlamp indeed. Had it for two days and I quickly got used to adaptive light and got even spoiled by it. Unfortunately it isn't waterproof.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
I've added the Fenix HL30 to the list. A budget option for sure, but I've heard back from a few cavers who say it's quite functional as long as you're not spending too much time underneath waterfalls or bashing the lamp into the ceiling too often.

I've removed the LEDLenser from the list. It is listed as discontinued, and even though they are still in stock all over the place I think the massive number of knockoffs with better diodes but lousier components and construction complicates the issue enough to just pull it.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened

Interesting. Thanks for the news, luxlucis. It looks as if the Petzl Ultra as I have it listed... is no more. :)

In its place is the Ultra RUSH, with six diodes shining through a clear spot optic and boasting 760 lumens.

And now this lovely addition, the Ultra VARIO. Four modes each with differing beam shapes: spot, combined, flood, & low. Up to 520 lumens, they say.

Unfortunately Petzl is yet to update their combined headlamps specification sheet so I can't see the detailed runtimes, etc.

I'm preparing for a big caving trip, so if I don't get these babies on the list before the weekend they'll be up before the end of next week.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using this mod to my KAVElight I use for night riding but u might find it useful underground ;)

I attached one of Ashes aspheric lenses to the outside of the flood side to create a more useful 90degree flood rather than wasting so much light in the side spill.

It's a De-Domed XM-L2 4.2a SMO from Vinh on the spot & A dual hiCRI XP-G 2.8a from Nailbender on the flood.

EFD25DC1-1351-4701-870A-334F8D00C7E5-643-000000747DC7226B.jpg

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I go to that link and allow the page in adblockplus, avast antivirus pops up with a warning about a malware link to 'clusteringpaperless.biz'.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't think that the Caveman 3000 will be much of a success among serious cavers what with the disorienting strobe, non-replaceable wimpy 2500mah batteries (three superior batteries would produce more power than their cheap four cells do), oddly mismatched color temperatures, and the inability to control the flood and spot independently (edit: oops I was wrong about that last part). I hate to say it but the virus warning that most browsers announce when visiting their website eludes to more serious quality control issues. I foresee some people buying them with the intention of modifying them (much like we all do with the cheap Chinese handhelds), which could be interesting.

In other news I've added the Fenix HP25 and Zebralight H502w to the list. I'm waiting for cavers to start talking about using their ArmyTek Wizard Pros underground, but I imagine that they get added to the list before too long.

Last edited: