Celluar phone photography-boon or bane?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to have a digital hewlett packard point and shoot that would stitch photos together instead of using a single a sweeping motion. It actually worked fairly well. You'd snap a photo in panorama mode, move right or left about 30 degrees and repeat. You could do up to 6 pictures with it.

With my Belle and Howell film camera I'd do like 3 up, 6 across and stitch then together with scotch tape for a nice little poster size panorama without the fisheye look.

There was a 14mm to 24mm f2.8 lens I had my eye on for a bit for my Nikon gear. It was called an arcitecture lens but it was more expensive than the camera was.

I read where the iPhone 15s and ios 17.2 can combine the zoom lens and wide lens for better panorams.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rounding the tip of Scotland in 2017; iPhone 6
Img_4938.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
with my dslr im learning slowly but starting to like the dslr as much as my pixel cell phone

Attachments

• stars.JPG
    stars.JPG
    425.2 KB · Views: 32

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_2413.jpeg

IMG_2412.jpeg

Realizing these are not prize winning photos but while waiting on a ride to pick me up I saw two chances to see what the iPhone can do.
The top one looks almost exactly like what I was seeing. Subtle shadows, color of the sky and the late day sun lighting up the tree in the distance with a warm tint

The bottom one was much more challenging for a digital sensor. So the algorithms chose to darken the sky blue some, yet it also did a nice job of not blowing out the moon. What I saw in real life was the tips of the trees lit up by the sun but farther down the tree was below the tree tops opposite so the sun had dropped just below that. The tree was to my east, the sun to my west. It did a really nice job of identifying shadows and brights and presenting a nice looking photo, even if it didn't quite match what I saw.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
The sky was weird tonight not sure if I captured it

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_223657314.jpg
    PXL_20231222_223657314.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20231222_223404349~2.jpg
    PXL_20231222_223404349~2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 31

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Back to the subject at hand cell phones smaller sensors give us more zoom for a given lens length. I guess it's simple math. Well simple if your smarter then me which is everyone well not Tom seleck . Haha. But a course smaller sensor also means less light. As cellphones improve so will dslrs

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Btw I may love photography more than flashlights I know I suck at it lol. But I love it still saving for a zoo visit I love photography of critters also love city's scenes and land scapes and astrophotographers.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Critter and street scenery photography is hard to do. Land scapes and astronomy photos, not so much because they set still.

Unless the animal is sleeping it's difficult to predict their movements and when. And with those 1044 point autofocus cameras there's no telling what it chooses to focus on. Very frustrating when it thinks you want to focus on the elephants foot but the camera thinks you want to focus on its ear. Get your camera to finally agree with you and the elephant turns and walks away.

With street scapes it's hard to get angles of buildings, curbs, poles etc in your lens to match what you see.

One thing that was fun was photo journalism. A picture that tells a story. Take a street scene for example. It's morning rush hour so motor cars are plentiful. But is it morning or afternoon? Is it cloudy or sunny? Warm or cold. A photo can depict it was afternoon rush hour on a cold, cloudy day. The viewer gets a "brrrrrrr it's cold" sensation from a steamy tailpipe and a lady all bundled up under a gray sky. Was it windy? A nearby flag can tell that story.

One year I was watching road paving in a very unique subdivision with very unique houses galore. There was one in particular that I photographed but the tall pine trees were all bent toward each other. The angles of the lawn and house were spot on. After work I went to a camera store and bought a wide angle lens in my price range. Next day, same result. I tried 18-35, 24-170, 18-135, fixed 35, 50, and 60 all the same result. On day 3 I realized all of the trees were bending toward one another, it was not the lenses. Doh!

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
With street scapes it's hard to get angles of buildings, curbs, poles etc in your lens to match what you see.
I've found that to be one of the best features of iPhone photo app features, correcting wide-angle distortion. I even load my DSLR pics onto my IPhone to use this feature. Depending on the type of distortion, I can correct approximately 70-80% of my pics.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm still learning to use my mirror less camera .but I still use cell phone a lot. . Now I'm saving for a 800 mm lens can even be a bit slow

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@Poppy
Here's an iPhone truck I just learned.
- Take a photo in Portrait mode.
- Go to your photos and open the portait mode photo.
- Tap the circle in the upper right. Choose duplicate.
- Open the portait photo (or the duplicate). Choose edit.
- In edit pick "f" portrait.
- Adjust the aperature to tweak your portrait.
- The original will be f4.5 if you let the camera choose.

IMG_4275.jpeg

The original f4.5

IMG_4275.jpeg

Same photo edited to f3.2

IMG_4275.jpeg

And same photos adjusted to f14

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Poppy
Here's an iPhone truck I just learned.
- Take a photo in Portrait mode.
- Go to your photos and open the portait mode photo.
- Tap the circle in the upper right. Choose duplicate.
- Open the portait photo (or the duplicate). Choose edit.
- In edit pick "f" portrait.
- Adjust the aperature to tweak your portrait.
- The original will be f4.5 if you let the camera choose.
Great tip!

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
@bykfixer That's amazing!!! that you can change the f stop AFTER the picture was taken.
Yep. But that's because it's 'faked', it's tremendously powerful image processing technology. It can be spotted by a trained eye, but it looks pretty close to DSLR images to most folks.
Effective, I guess; but as an ex-pro photographerI don't like it. :awman:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yep. But that's because it's 'faked', it's tremendously powerful image processing technology. It can be spotted by a trained eye, but it looks pretty close to DSLR images to most folks.
Effective, I guess; but as an ex-pro photographerI don't like it. :awman:
My Nikons can do that in camera too. Or I can use a $3,000 lens or I can plug in the memory card to a laptop (if it has a USB drive), open up a software, copy the photo and alter it like that taking about 8 minutes vs 22 seconds with the iPhone. Knowing the photo on the iPhone is nowhere near as crisp as the Nikon it's still pretty freakin' convenient.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
why dont dslr and mirrorless maera use google or apple like software?