• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired "Centauri" 3-speed mod service for McGizmo LunaSols.

Russki

Enlightened
Wow, that's different. How well does the XP-G work with just 18mA to run on? You should post some beamshots in the McGizmo forum.

Anyway, I added you to the list.

Hello fyrstormer.

After some thinking I decided leave my moded LS20 alone, and go with LS27 instead, if that ok with you. C-pack looks better on LS27 IMHO.
Let me know when to send it.
Regarding my mod on LS20, XP-G less bright than original LEDs, but provide enough light for my liking, lower output was payback for fitting in XP-G R5 with MCR 18.
Thanks for offering this great mod. :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
scout24, I received and modded your LS20 this evening. It is relaxing on the workbench for the moment. I'll try to ship it tomorrow, if I can get five minutes to myself at work.

If anyone else is considering this mod and/or has any questions about it, please post or PM me in the next couple of days so I can get things hashed out and include you in my next parts order.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod sounds wonderful and I like the switch feel of McClicky, except the look of LS head on C pak. Maybe I'm so accustomed to PD look. :D

Hello fyrstormer.

After some thinking I decided leave my moded LS20 alone, and go with LS27 instead, if that ok with you. C-pack looks better on LS27 IMHO.
Let me know when to send it.
Regarding my mod on LS20, XP-G less bright than original LEDs, but provide enough light for my liking, lower output was payback for fitting in XP-G R5 with MCR 18.
Thanks for offering this great mod. :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
Paypal sent, I'll be waiting by the mailbox... Va. is a little too far to drive to pick it up. Mini review to follow!:)

scout24

Flashaholic
Fyrstormer-I received mine in the mail today, along with the original driver, safe and sound. Thanks! Being me, the first thing I did after playing with it for a few minutes and comparing brightness levels against my other LS20 and several other lights, was to try the PD pak on the light. After about an hour of playing with it, I think you are selling the utility of this mod on the stock PD short.
For me, the PD works beautifully. I can toggle through the levels fine, and the modified GDUP has the ability for me to "Set and forget" the high level. That said, I can set the high level by pressing through the choices, and the driver remembers my last choice. So, I can set high to level one,("mizer") and whenever I hit the piston for high, there is my chosen level. I can also toggle through to high with the PD, ("turbo") and it remembers my choice. I pick up the light 5 minutes later, and "turbo" is still there as the high level choice. I personally feel there is a learned ability with the PD to choose just low, without engaging high, that everyone with Don's PD's learns, kind of a calibrated "McGizmo Thumb"...
I understand that you wanted to be clear and have everyone use the Clicky Pak to eliminate skipped levels, or not engaging unwanted output, and having to cycle back around to what they wanted, but who hasn't accidentally engaged high, or wanted to go from high to low on a stock PD and missed? There was, for me, a bit of a learning curve with the PD's when I got my first, and I think if you can run your own light comfortably with the PD in stock form, that this mod shouldn't present a problem. EG: If you can go from high to low and back consistently with your PD without releasing through low to off, you can handle this mod with a PD pak no problem. This is my humble opinion, and should be taken as such, but my Clicky pak is going back in the safe.
I now have a "Mizer" LS20 when wanted, and a "Turbo" when wanted, and a middle level damn close to stock, as well. Nicely done, and Thank You! If anyone is on the fence, and is near Rockland or Orange county, NY and wants to try this in person, shoot me a PM...:)

fyrstormer

Banned
It's interesting to have your perspective on the PD vs C-Pak issue, scout. I guess I tend to err on the side of caution moreso than a lot of people, so my preference was for the "without a doubt" functionality of the C-Pak's clicky switch, being able to know for sure that the light isn't going to change modes on me if my thumb slips. To me, that's worth trading away the ability to switch from flood to spot by pressing harder on the button. After finding out that Don's experience was the same, I concluded it was the only "good" setup for the Centauri mod.

However, someone pointed out to me via PM that the Centauri mod would work just fine with a PD pak if the user primarily uses the twisty functionality, and now you've said that you're satisfied with the PD functionality as well, so I guess I should retract my prior assertion that the C-Pak is the only feasible Pak to use with a Centauri head.

If you continue to use your LSC20 with a PD Pak, I'd be interested to know if the inevitable split-second flickers that occur when twisting the head cause the driver to change modes. Logic says they should, but it's possible they'll happen so fast the driver won't ever really "switch off", so it won't change modes. Feel free to post more updates as you see fit. :D

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you like it, and so too I'm sure are the other people who've signed up for the Centauri mod.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
After another day's use, I am completely happy with the PD. If I use it as a twisty, it works fine for me too. I can always twist around to the needed level, haven't noticed the flicker. One does need to twist with a purpose to change high levels, (quickly) but nothing that you can't get used to. I am actually enjoying tap tap tapping through the high levels, I miss occasionally, but not enough to be a bother. Just gotta get used to it! I'll post a pic on my McLux III Ti Twisty body later... :p

fyrstormer

Banned
After another day's use, I am completely happy with the PD. If I use it as a twisty, it works fine for me too. I can always twist around to the needed level, haven't noticed the flicker. One does need to twist with a purpose to change high levels, (quickly) but nothing that you can't get used to. I am actually enjoying tap tap tapping through the high levels, I miss occasionally, but not enough to be a bother. Just gotta get used to it! I'll post a pic on my McLux III Ti Twisty body later... :p
Sounds good. :thumbsup:

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
Folks, I received my LSC27 back from Shawn's service yesterday, following a brief stop with datiLED. If you are on the edge about this and have a C-Pak for your LunaSol, this mod adds a great deal of utility to an already great light. The GDuP is a very reliable driver and Shawn's installation work is flawless.