Clickie tail switch for Mini Mag LED?

frasera

Newly Enlightened
tinkerer said:
frasera

You can get small (36") sections of aluminium rod stock at Home Depot. They come in various diameters. I'm a packrat by nature & neccessity so I pick up any metal pieces I see at junkyards or dumpsters for projects. My scrap pile probably weighs close to 1,000 lbs. I get alot of "cut offs" at metal suppliers. These are the pieces less than a foot and sold cheap.

You can probably find a piece at home depot thats close enough in diameter to a AA cell to use without turning on a lathe. just cut to size. allow some room to wrap with electrical tape on the sides.

ah kewl, i knew homedepot had steel rods or whatever i walked past once. guess i'll be able to do the mod now thanks:)

frasera

Newly Enlightened
turns out homedepot sells round aluminum rods. 1/4 inch diameter is about 2.50, 3/8" $3.88 1/2" $3.99 for 3 foot long. enough to make a ton of dummy batteries and spacers:p
1/2" seems to be about the size of an AA. heatshrink probably would be better than tape, i hate tape adhesive, esp if it starts to get all icky after a while.

so just how long does this spacer need to be?

Last edited:

frasera

Newly Enlightened
well did it, the 1/2 diameter is perfect size, with just a little electrical tape it around the edge it gets snug. i tried 6mm first thickness first, its slightly too much, the tail won't screw on all the way with the head screwed into off position, but turn the head into on position and apparently interior space increases enough to make the final turn to close the tail:p guess i gotta shave another 2mm or so off the spacer.

trouble

Newly Enlightened
I've got the IQ switch on both of my mini mags, one LED and the other with a Nite Ize LED conversion. Both work fine for me.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mini mag led uses anodizing on the inside threads making after market switches like the Kroll not work properly. I just dremmeled the inside with a wire brush to remove it and my new kroll works perfectly.

barkingmad

Enlightened
The IQ switch certainly seems to limit the current and brightness - so can't recommend for use with high power requirements...