clicky cap is my choice!

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
tussery said:
Evidently you missed my point. If you put a light with a twisty cap in your pocket and it is not locked out the most that is going to happen is it will momentarily turn on, because the twisty is not going to turn itself the rest of the way to constant on. Where as you put a clickie cap in your pocket and it is not locked out you run the chance of unknowingly clicking it on to the constant on position.

That is the point I am making and it has happened to me with my E2L that has a clicky and my 9P with a twisty never turned itself on and drained the batteries like the E2L did.

I hear you, but I have had just the opposite experience; and to me, it's a rare day that a person remembers to twist their pocket tactical light into the "off" position every time before putting it in their pocket, in which case it runs the batteries down just like a clicky. Plus, to have to take the light out of your pocket, then screw it into a midway usable tactical position is, to me, annoying and troublesome.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer the Clickie switch, sometimes the Twistie is the only way when it comes to the smaller AAA lights like the Arc, Fenix,

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Rusty Joe said:
Very, very unlikely. In truth, it is far more likely that a bad guy spooks you when you are not ready and you don't have time to use both hands to activate the light to see from whence the attacker comes.

For every slight advantage a twisty has, the clicky beats it hands down in my book.

for some reason people that know much more about combat tactics than you or me have decided that a twist/momentary is the better method.

oh and you dont need two hands to activate a twist/momentary. its just as easy to
use a twist/momentary or a clickie.

cy

Flashaholic
have not read all posts.. but guess I'm A** backwards :D

have sold almost all my clickies except for U2. besides prefer twisties, clickies are prone to accidentally getting switched on. if you use Surefire's lockout feature for clickie, one still has to twist to turn on. besides Me2s two stage switches gives one of the best UI in any light.

it's well documented dangers of leaving on lights with lithium cells in series. so liking twisties goes further than better user interface.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mossyoak said:
for some reason people that know much more about combat tactics than you or me have decided that a twist/momentary is the better method.

oh and you dont need two hands to activate a twist/momentary. its just as easy to
use a twist/momentary or a clickie.

I think you missunderstood the guy, most people means light that you actually need to twist when they are talking about twisties. Like Maglight, Civictor etc. There is no momentary on, sometimes there are enough thread play (and if the twist is a tailcap one) that you can use it as a momentary, but I'm guessing surefire dont work that way(seems a bit cheap for such expensive lights), but have a rubber button also? Cause using a twistie by that definition(two hand, and no threadplay), it makes no sense to use it in a "tactical" situation.

cy

Flashaholic
not sure what you mean, but all surefire LOTC twisty have push momentary on feature.

for users that like mechanical user interface. mclux PD has one of the best UI.

Lobo said:
I think you missunderstood the guy, most people means light that you actually need to twist when they are talking about twisties. Like Maglight, Civictor etc. There is no momentary on, sometimes there are enough thread play (and if the twist is a tailcap one) that you can use it as a momentary, but I'm guessing surefire dont work that way(seems a bit cheap for such expensive lights), but have a rubber button also? Cause using a twistie by that definition(two hand, and no threadplay), it makes no sense to use it in a "tactical" situation.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
GeorgePaul said:
Not for everyone.

I've managed a very easy one handed operation for my 6P.

I hold the light in hand as usual, focusing the grip of my palm on the twist cap, and holding the body loosely with my fingers.

I then just twist the body and voila, lights on.

I can pull my light, aim and light up a target as easy as pulling a light, placing my thumb on click and pressing button.

I don't keep my light on lock out, and I have it set where even quick twist turns it on.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
krevo said:
I hold the light in hand as usual, focusing the grip of my palm on the twist cap, and holding the body loosely with my fingers. I then just twist the body and voila, lights on.
If I hold my L4 (which has a click-on LOTC) upside down and use my thumb and index finger to turn the tailcap, it's much easier (for me) than your technique. But that may because the tailcap is a bit stiff. However, point taken, it is easy to operate a LOTC one-handed.