Compact, Lightweight Single AA For a Versatile Back-up

A10ACN

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'm going to settle on the NiteCore SRT3 as my primary world travel/carry/always in the bag light (thanks to LOTS of help from all y'all!:rock:in previous posts). I picked up a LumaPower LM21(AAA) as a lightweight spare/backup. But, that's another battery (with less power/time) that I have to be concerned with, so, I'd like to find a compact, lightweight, minimalist AA that can take all the AA versions, perhaps 3 or so modes, maybe tail stand? There seems to be a plethora of super compact, little single cell CR123 lights out there. I'm not seeing the much of the same wrt single AA. A lot of the SRT3 ilk of full performance lights and a good number of tiny minimalist AAA keychains, but I'm not seeing something similar for the AA spectrum. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thrunite T10 LED flashlight, Cree XP-G LED, 115 lumens 3 modes with memory.

Norm

A10ACN

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite T10 LED flashlight, Cree XP-G LED, 115 lumens 3 modes with memory.

Norm

Liking the looks of that. Can only use AA alkys, Ni-Mh, Enloops, but not 14500s.

Not feeling the Zebra, it looks kinda big. The Thrunite is in the current lead, anything else?

(Wow, you guys snuck up on me, while writing above!!)

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fourseven's Mini MA. I have the first version (Mini AA) and it's been working fine for past 4 years including for my travels, been using it with enveloops and 14500 exclusively. Available in standard alu and titanium.

Disciple

Enlightened
The ZebraLight SC52 is not large. The H52w is also an option; I bought one to give this Christmas and it appears to be a very nice light. Take another look at these, IMHO.

Rinspeed

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Zebralight SC51 every day for over two years. They are very tough and very bright for their size.

dss_777

Enlightened
How about a second NiteCore SRT3 as backup to the first?

Simplifies things a lot, and it seems most of the other options are an inch or less difference in length.

A10ACN

Newly Enlightened
How about a second NiteCore SRT3 as backup to the first?

Simplifies things a lot, and it seems most of the other options are an inch or less difference in length.

Funny you mention that. I ordered another one today! The SRT3 is a bit bulky and what I call a primary use light- one that I carry in my bags wherever I go. I picked up a LumaPower LM21, for a lightweight backup that offers some more versatility (AAA) with the SRT3 (2 lights, 3 sizes of batteries). I like the LM21 (except the OI, I get confused easily and want it to come on at the highest first). AAA power/run time is limited, though, so I cruising around, I saw all the tiny EDC CR123 size lights and thought that having the same in AA format might be smarter for a backup (interchangeable batteries with SRT3, better performance than AAA). There don't seem to be as many high quality, minimum size AA size EDC options compared to CR123 size. The back-up doesn't have to have the performance of the SRT3, in fact I'd prefer it to be a light I'd use for generic use, to ensure the SRT3 is fully charged and ready. Say, as a room light or tent light, a slip into the pocket unobtrusively for going out light, map light, etc, etc. If I had to fall back to local purchase Alkies, no problem, the SRT3 would still be available for the heavy lifting jobs. If any of this makes any sense??