Compact Mansions.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I guess 25+ years in the military taught me that, the more crap you have the more hassle it is to move all that junk. Personally, I am looking for about 20 acres of land with a triangulated dome roof design that is made out of concrete and rebar. It can take an F5 tornado hit and uses 50 to 70% less energy. The cement/rebar/foam construction of it reminds me of a Soviet bunker--because, in a way--that is what it is. It costs as much as a McMansion but has over a 100 year life, no roofing to leak, no wood to be eaten by bugs and with automatic hurricane shutters--no damage from storms (including trees falling over on it)
I'm following you on everything here except the 20 acres of land. Unless you plan to grow your own food why do you need 20 acres, or for that matter anything much bigger than maybe a 1/10th acre lot? If a person is simplifying their life by downsizing their house, it makes sense to downsize the property it's on also. I'm actually seeing more people where I live just concreting over their lawns so as not to be bothered with maintenance. We're considering either that or pavers or maybe a rock garden.

McMansions--a great way to waste money and continue to waste money on a house. It makes me wonder why people spend so much time, effort and money trying to impress people they don't know?
All kinds of reasons these McMansions are built. Yes, in some cases it's solely to impress which to me is stupid. Other times it's real estate speculators seeking to drive up the price of housing. The only real time a McMansion makes sense is if you want ( or need ) a larger house, and want to stay where you are. Sure, there are plenty of large, fancy houses on large lots in the middle of nowhere. That isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some want the large house without the headaches of maintaining a couple of acres. Or they may wish to remain in a area where they don't need a car. But yes, other than these few reasons, I'm not seeing much point to these huge, out of place houses. They may benefit those living in them, but they also drive property values way up to the detriment of anyone seeking a "normal" size home.

What annoys me way more than McMansions is the poor way homes in general ( including most McMansions ) these days are constructed. Basically, we're still in the 1940s with wood frame construction plus shingle roofs which need replacing every 15-20 years. Why not more steel frame, concrete, and foam construction, along with central geothermal heat/AC and solar panels? It costs more, but pays in reduced maintenance and lower utilities. Everytime a home is built or renovated there is an opportunity to update it. Sadly, the focus always ends up being solely on looks or square feet, not operating costs.

jeeves

Newly Enlightened
A perfect example of this is Derek Jeters house. Davis Island, Fl.
They bought 4 lots and there isn't much of a yard to speak of.
Why someone needs 30k sq. Ft. for spring training is beyond me, but if they (the opulently rich) don't spend it, the Gov. will take it so...

Google it, and check out some of the smaller houses in the 'hood'. According to the local paper, the reactions of the residents was something like the 'smilies/icons' box below the 'new post' window.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962,

The reason for 20 acres is a good question! The reason I want 20 acres is for very specific reasons--a 1 acre garden is one of them. The land I'm looking for will have 10 acres of trees on it and some form of spring fed water source. The house with bunker like construction is for fuel savings, won't get damaged in storms etc.

I want to screw around with solar panels, solar-thermal and wind energies. With a plot of land that size, there will be no issues were to put something like that. Won't have to deal with the nazi "home owner associations" telling me were I can park a truck, what height my grass has to be and all that sort of thing.

I lived in Southern Italy from 1989--1991 and noted something very strange. There was marble everywhere! Marble floors, marble stair cases...marble tile--it was utterly common. So I asked and the reason for that was it was so cheap to use. Marble tile was cheaper than plastic tile (69 cents a square in 1990) The more expensive houses covered the marble floors with carpeting and the mansions used wood floors. After getting out of bed in the morning and slipping on marble floors not to mention falling down marble stair cases--give me carpet any day! Marble was a sign that the cheapest materials were used to build the cement house so... to each his own.

The 20 acre project is so my siblings can move to my land and build a house there and tap into my "grid" and water system. The best place I've found that meets my wind/sun and spring water requirements are in the Ozark mountains of North-West Arkansas. The area of land between Harrison and Fayetteville/Rodgers area.

How does that saying go? Buy land because they are not going to make anymore of it?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The 20 acre project is so my siblings can move to my land and build a house there and tap into my "grid" and water system.

So your siblings can mow the lawn, sheesh, 20 acres, that's an all-day event..

I like the private grid idea though, I'd still like to own an electric car with a small wind or solar collector so I could drive for free..

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
How does that saying go? Buy land because they are not going to make anymore of it?
crackup.gif

Nice post, not just the last line either! :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
True.

But you guys know that some greedy business man will find a way to sell real estate on the moon. And one day, they'll build a giant bio-dome up there . . . filled with McMansions. :rolleyes:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So your siblings can mow the lawn, sheesh, 20 acres, that's an all-day event..

I like the private grid idea though, I'd still like to own an electric car with a small wind or solar collector so I could drive for free..

I'm with you, I hate mowing lawns! The trick to avoid the grass trap is to have half the land being trees, another acre for the garden, area for the house, a pole barn like structure for building stuff, throw in a spring fed pond to take up space etc. Been looking at myco-diesel were diesel is produced from fungus. I'm sure the neighbors would love a slime pond in the area but having one surrounded by trees would be nice. Pull all the leaves, scrub and that sort of thing out of the woods, mix with grass clippings and see what happens. Those slime ponds take up space but at least I won't have to mow it!

Solar-thermal is a very simple process, reflectors focused to a hot water pipe to feed the water tank in the house. The solar water heaters they used in Turkey were very simple devices so there is always that option. Alas, messing around with solar, solar-thermal, myco diesel slime and that sort of thing demands space but it is better to generate energy than mow grass. I've been watching a company that is building an electric tractor that uses a 48" deck with three electric motors (11.5 HP nominal 27 HP peak) it also has a plow attachment, roto-tiller attachment, disc cutter attachment and fork lift attachment to mounts on the thing. The perfect device for messing around on 20 acres and it can be powered by the wind/solar stuff.

The biggest issue is energy storage, a 50 KW/h LiFePO4 pack is expensive! My hope is EEStor gets those ultra-capacitors going at 40 to 60 bucks per KW/h in the next few years so electricity generation and storage for vehicles, tractors and giant LED flashlights would be viable.

Now for EEStor, EcoMotors and others to get their act together and start shipping product.
The EcoMotors two cylinder/4 piston opposed 2 stroke diesel looks promising and should be available about the same time when DARPA releases their special fungus. (2012?)

To see a very simple, very small, inexpensive diesel...check out this site and watch how the engine works. Bill Gates just invested 24.5 million in the project so it is moving forward. Not sure how they can get past the 2 stroke diesel pollution but I think the electric supercharger has something to do with pressurized venting during the exhaust phase.

http://www.ecomotors.com/

One of those would be very small, light-weight, small amount of parts and easy to work on. Mix it with 50 KW/h of EEStor capacitors and a serial electric vehicle would be viable, rather inexpensive and probably get 70 to 90 MPG on myco-diesel. Two strokes are so easy to work on but I wonder how they will stabilize the piston rings across the exhaust ports. We shall see.

With a 1,800 sq. ft. cement/rebar house that uses less than 50% of the energy--that saves a lot of money when it comes down to solar/wind required to run it. The issue is weirdness costs money--think LED flashlight mods on a grand scale. The plan is 2 KW of wind, 2 KW of solar and solar water heaters to start small. I figure the panels and wind mill should be in the center of the property with the slime pond. My house, my sister's house and brothers house will be on the corners. If my other brother wants to roll my way, he can have the last corner. They can build what they want on their corner but must add additional panels/mills and storage to the center for their power draw. Initial plan is to own the property by 2015, build my house by 2016, install the solar/wind by 2017, get the spring fed water system stable and be done with everything by 2018. My sister and brother will start construction in their corners by 2019 to be finished and operational by 2020.

It is a family project and I'm the technology engineering guy. The other siblings are the financial arm of the project so will release funds for initial land purchase, electric tractor, 4 KW/h of solar/thermal and battery or capacitor storage. Houses on the corners with the trees, ponds, gardens or an acre or two of switch grass in the center. Husqvarna makes an electric lawnmower that looks like a Roomba and operates in the same way. It is good for over half an acre of mowing, does hills and automatically mows. Since the one acre plots won't have more than half an acre of grass, those little robots will work well.

I've found 20 acre plots that are covered with trees, have spring fed ponds and are wired and plumbed for sewers for around $3K per acre. My hope is to find one with a spring on it for around $100K. Construction costs of the house and initial solar/thermal will run around $200K so it is not too bad at this point.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The EcoMotors two cylinder/4 piston opposed 2 stroke diesel looks promising

Yeah, I covered the OPOC motor over in the cars thread (post 230, 232); would be interesting to see a diesel hybrid one of these in a reasonable road car (check out the electric motorcycle in post 235, that'd be much easier to provide power for than a car..)

My hope is to find one with a spring on it for around $100K. Construction costs of the house and initial solar/thermal will run around $200K so it is not too bad at this point.

Ah, I miss the price of property outside of California; your $200K total would only buy the house here :shakehead

It sounds like you've got it all planned out though, you should definitely keep us updated, with pictures!

Latest posts