Comparison of Mag with 3xLuxIII...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The best setup for the fatman is with the Luxeons in series - that way your output current is capped at around 1A. You'll need to get your input voltage pretty close to the combined Vf of the emitters to keep your drive currents reasonable (~2.5A max on the input).

I've been putzing around with a Mag 2D body and a series 8xAA:2xD adaptor. I have 3 T**J emitters in series. Regrettably, the 2000mAH AAs I have won't quite fit if I fully load the adaptor, but that's what dummy cells are for.

Here are the numbers I guesstimated:
fatmancalc-nimh.png

With alternate drive currents since the 700mA vs 1000mA difference isn't all that noticable:
fatmancalc-nimh-700.png

flash

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick question, as I'm interested in creating a regulated 3xLuxIII using a Fatman and a M@G 3D I have lying around....

Would 3 Alkaline D cells provide enough power to light this setup up in series via the fatman? and also, what kinds of runtimes would I get? :thinking:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
no.. the math works like this: Lux power / .9 than divide that by 2 to get minimum voltage for full power.. so 11.1W/.9 = 12.33.. divide that by 2 (or pushing it 2.2).. you get 5.6V bare minimum to run full power.

that said.. a 90 cent spring some pvc pipe and you can in-fact use 4 C alkaline in a 3D host to run 3-up Lux with a fatman.. i've built that mod.. i would de-tune the max output to 800-900 mA and definitely put in a pot and you'll be very happy with that mod.

runtime is hard to estimate. you're pushing the batteries like 2-3x rated capacity... but it will be hours, not minutes.. my bud i made the light for only has 'high' and he used the light on/off for months before the cells died.

lux estimates i use:

1600/emitter in IMS20 with T bin at 1A
2000/emitter in IMS20 with U bin at 1A
2500/emitter in McR20 with U bin.. at 1100mA

-awr

rscanady

Enlightened
I just completed a 2C Mag with 3 TWOH in series running from a Fatman converter (Max 1.0A) combined with external POT and powered by two protected 18650 AW cells, and it ROCKS!

Ryan