Completely turned off to Malkoff dropins

Status
Not open for further replies.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought this would be a great dropin for my Mag. But Gene's way of providing product to customers leaves me cold. Instead of an orderly waiting list he just blankets an email and whoever happens to see it first gets one of the few offered up. I have offered to prepay and when its ready he can send it out (no pressure). He has replied that that doesn't work for him. This hodge podge way of getting his items to the public is just plain annoying to me and I am sure to others as well. I know he is part of the good old boys of the forum and I am going against the grain with this thread but I felt strongly that it had to be said, so come down on me like a ton of bricks, my shoulders are big and I can take:mad:

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Your welcome to your point of view but the Malkoff is a excellent product and its well worth the wait. Just keep trying.

FASTCAR

Banned
This is the CPF, we are a happy friendly bunch.
You should never speak badly about another OR a product.
Try a private message.

You may not want to have an opinion openly like this olrac.

Best luck to you.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the CPF, we are a happy friendly bunch.
You should never speak badly about another OR a product.
Try a private message.

You may not want to have an opinion openly like this olrac.

Best luck to you.

Sorry Comrade, I thought I lived in a country where I could voice an opinion that wasn't in the mainstream, I guess I'll report to the Lubyanka now.

Meaning, I am not dissing Gene as a person or Mfg., but rather not agreeing as to how he conducts his business, and unless I am mistaken that is how most businesses get feedback as where they need improvement.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Gene is not a "good old boy". Actually he is sort of new to CPF, compared to others. Open a "Jeers" thread if he is not meeting your expectations. But be sure to have opened a dialog with Gene and note how many email, PM's, you have had with him, attempting to resolve your issues before you open the "jeers" thread. BTW, I have never bought a Malkoff dropin.

Bill

Patriot

Flashaholic
olrac, how many times have you missed out?

I was monitoring the count one time and it was several days until he sold out. If you get the email and purchase within a day or so, you should be able to get one fairly easily.

Hope the you get one soon because they're the best drop-in by far. :)

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
The wonderful thing about the free world is that each may conduct business as they see fit (w/i the law).
If one doesn't like the way anyone does business, one is free to take one's business elsewhere.

That said, I defend your right to express your opinion!:D

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
olrac, how many times have you missed out?

I was monitoring the count one time and it was several days until he sold out. If you get the email and purchase within a day or so, you should be able to get one fairly easily.

Hope the you get one soon because they're the best drop-in by far. :)

I asked to be taken off the contact list. I will be pursuing other avenues, and yes they do seem like a very good product.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
well someone posted about the malkoff about to be restocked on his site so double time and check his site nonstop and get the hunt

i too remember when it took a few days to sell out but now it seems like the second he puts them up they sell out within minutes ALL of them...yup im glad i got 1 before and not have to wait now :) it was worth it

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Gene is not a "good old boy". Actually he is sort of new to CPF, compared to others. Open a "Jeers" thread if he is not meeting your expectations. But be sure to have opened a dialog with Gene and note how many email, PM's, you have had with him, attempting to resolve your issues before you open the "jeers" thread. BTW, I have never bought a Malkoff dropin.

Bill

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wonderful thing about the free world is that each may conduct business as they see fit (w/i the law).
If one doesn't like the way anyone does business, one is free to take one's business elsewhere.

That said, I defend your right to express your opinion!:D

You are absolutey 100% correct. That is what makes this such a great country and accounts for the countless success stories and the thousands of attempts that fade into oblivion.

And I truly thank you for the last line of your post, it is what makes Americans the great people we are.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry Comrade, I thought I lived in a country where I could voice an opinion that wasn't in the mainstream, I guess I'll report to the Lubyanka now.

Meaning, I am not dissing Gene as a person or Mfg., but rather not agreeing as to how he conducts his business, and unless I am mistaken that is how most businesses get feedback as where they need improvement.

Well, you definitely seem upset by the way he does things. No one is saying don't voice your opinion. But realistically, an e-mail to Gene asking him to re-consider would probably be more productive. Making a topic on an internet forum isn't the first thing that comes to mind as the best way of giving a business some feedback. An e-mail, a phone call to customer service, or even snail-mail; all far better ways to give feedback.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you definitely seem upset by the way he does things. No one is saying don't voice your opinion. But realistically, an e-mail to Gene asking him to re-consider would probably be more productive. Making a topic on an internet forum isn't the first thing that comes to mind as the best way of giving a business some feedback. An e-mail, a phone call to customer service, or even snail-mail; all far better ways to give feedback.

That was a response to Fastcar as he left me with the feeling I had no right to post my feelings in this matter, not to Malkoff as another poster said it is his right to do business as he seems fit. And I would agreee with that.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It doesn't really fit withing the rules of the jeers section either and it sounds like you've tried to reason with Gene when you mentioned the pre-pay situation. I agree that I waiting list would be better though. If you get back on the email list I really think it would be worth another try as a new batch should come out soon. Hang in there partner. :)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've actually had a similar issue with Milkyspit when I first commissioned a custom. I had already locked in and prepaid almost $800 worth of funds (including the light host) for the project but it was kinda put on the back of the list for some time. It took around 6mths to complete; which isn't all that long come to think of it but definitely isn't a timeline you can plan around.

The $ locked in wasn't a great prospect either; if I had it in my hands, I would have earned 75% returns within the 6mths, which I really did with the rest of my money in a suprisingly good investment.

I suggested some ways Milky might want "to productize" to cut waiting queues etc.. but a lot of the feedback from CPFers were : "If you want a quality product from an master modder/artist, be prepared to wait". Reference were made to some knife maker whose waiting list stretched to 2 years. I totally understand that; it's just that I prefer not to have my funds locked up for so long with no product.

Anyway, it worked out all good and the product was definitely worth the wait!! Milky rocks!

For your case, Gene chooses to 'randomly' sell his products by the luck of the draw. Similar to other highly acclaimed modders who put up first come first served lists, I don't see anything wrong with it. Especially when no money is taken. They don't want to deal with pre-payments and all that hassle of managing a list. If there are delays, he has to answer. It's his own choice of business practice.

Don't forget when a modder decides to make a batch of items without a pre-order or waiting list, he is also risking being stuck with a bunch of unsold goods if the demand suddenly shifts to something else. So if he chooses that business model, I think it's pretty fair.

I totally understand your frustration, but unfortunately, in this world, demand drives everything. Demand makes celebrities and soccer/football players earn the $$ they do and allow them to turn up their noses at people and enter VIP clubs and start fights. If no one gave a damn about watching movies or sports, this industry wouldn't exist.

So in the same way, some of the custom modders are 'celebrities' in our community; not so much a business. To get in the club, you gotta play by their rules unfortunately.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't really fit withing the rules of the jeers section either and it sounds like you've tried to reason with Gene when you mentioned the pre-pay situation. I agree that I waiting list would be better though. If you get back on the email list I really think it would be worth another try as a new batch should come out soon. Hang in there partner. :)

Thanks for your post Patriot, I really not trying to Be a D**k to Gene. I am sure he is trying to do what he thinks is best, it was really meant for feedback to him. My purchase of one dropin will not make one bit of difference to him in the big scheme of things but I think he could build better customer relations but possibly looking at what I have said, i.e. waiting lists are less frustrating than trying to catch the brass ring of emails.

peace my brother

Status
Not open for further replies.