Confirmation!! NewWish Lasers ARE Pot Moddable!!!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Gentlemen, just a little reminder that on CPF we'd like conversations in good old written English instead of some mutilated fragments I am seeing in this thread.
Thank you for your cooperation.
bernhard

Bionic-Badger

Newly Enlightened
These are all over eBay. Just bid like $20 for one of those $15 shipping Newwish laser sellers and you'll probably get it for less (someone bumped up the price I had to pay to $16 unfortunately).

Beware that the laser gets warm while even unmodded if shown for more than 30 seconds at a time, so any modding might really cause it to burn out quickly. The body has a robber sheathe around the entire body (the black part), and therefore does not transmit heat very well, making the situation worse.

stihl88

Newly Enlightened
That sounds a little diffirent than my NewWish laser Bionic! Would you care to send in a photo of it? If it's not a NewWish then we will let you know...

Last edited:

stihl88

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it can get kind of annoying reading SMS type post's

So has anyone figured out some type of resister mod for this yet, or is this thread pretty much dead? Might have to do a search and see if there are some fresh threads for any new NewWish mod's!

Last edited:

hellzbellz_inc

Newly Enlightened
just bought a newwish 50mw from ebay, it is bright but since i hve nothing to compare it to i cant really tell if its that bright... will try the LED meter trick tomorrow, but since it cant manage a black bin liner or you cant feel it on your hand... i think i have been seen off a bit!

phoenix3200

Newly Enlightened
For those of you wondering how you can get the laser apart without damaging your case, you simply need to insert a flathead jeweler's screwdriver in the lens end, avoid pushing on the lens itself, and force it out the spring side of the tube.

My laser is also useless now, since I did the stupid thing of removing the diode completely. I guess that's what I get for seeing this thread beforehand and not reading it all.

What are other people's average battery life times? Because I swear that mine would last on a brand new set of Energizer batteries for only about 15 minutes total run time. It drew 300mA (aka 1 watt) from my batteries. Was this normal, or should I have requested a replacement from the start?

Now that I definitely can't, off to buy a couple more NewWish-es. My brother now wants a green laser as well.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
I got mine apart by just twisting the front bezel. It finally come apart and the guts pulled out. My pot is at almost full setting for 200 ma draw and about 5mW output using diode meter.

After working on 110's, this is an unknown. I'm still metering it to figure it out.

Mike

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Got my Newwish apart and did a little metering. Added two jumpers and a resistor similar to a Leadlight. I did not disconnect the power control - somehow I like that feature. I got 50 mW of green !! I'm afraid to turn it more. 350 ma off Li ion cells. I don't think the switch likes the current.

Mike

Nisei

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that there's many models on the New Wish green laser page (page loads very very slow here), maybe that's the reason some of you can't mod their model or are the differences between certain models just color & finishing?
Also, they can supply these models up to 200mW!!! Would that mean they "mod" it themselves or putting in different diodes etc?

newwish.jpg

Last edited:

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
I've asked my Newwish dealer to get me some diodes. I had to explain what they are and he thinks that he can get me a few. THEN I can repair those I've cooked.

Mike

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Another question: My Newwish put out a double beam - like a small figure 8 -about after one second on. Is this heat related or allignment ???

Mike

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Nisei --

You are right there !! Cold - warm -- I can see the beam split.

I'll try some stuff someday - I got Arctic 5 coming.

Mike

FlyBob

Newly Enlightened
Hemlock Mike said:
Got my Newwish apart and did a little metering. Added two jumpers and a resistor similar to a Leadlight. I did not disconnect the power control - somehow I like that feature. I got 50 mW of green !! I'm afraid to turn it more. 350 ma off Li ion cells. I don't think the switch likes the current.

Mike

How did you do that? Can you specify on the resistors/jumpers you added/solders? I'm trying to squeeze every last inch of power out of my newwish 5mw with black casing, but i dont know how to solder it properly... last solder only gave me like a 0.5mw boost :(

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Bob -- First of all - don't short out the 1R0 resistor as on a 105. That totally disables the APC which I highly recommend to save the diode. Trust me on this :-( .........

The newwish and the Light vision may be the same. Send me an email and maybe I can help. This circuit may be a really good control circuit. !!

I just got two from visi something and I'm going to the "LAB" !!!

Mike

GTac01

Newly Enlightened
So i bridged the two little legs of the POT that were next to each other and cut the red wire of the APC. Performance is better but is there anything else i can do to increase mw? Thanks.

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
ok, ok uncle.

My EE days are behind me but. Diodes DIE. You kill them two ways.

Over voltage or Over current.

Diodes have ONE uniqu feature, as Temp goes UP current draw also RAISES. This is why APC's are essential. Don't cut the wire...

If you dial down the onboard POT you raise the current.

Want more power? COOL the Diode. This allows you to max voltage 2.7-3.8V and then max current to design specs ALL WHILE using good heat sinks or cheap CPU cooling products.

Remove current limiters, remove regulated power supply and allow heat to build and POOF! Diodes Die everyday.

Cool is key...not power...

Diodes and crystals vary by manufacturer 1/1000 have ability to go 100+mw. They make ONE diode, and one set of crystals and filters. Testing allows "binning" of those less the 5mw those near 4-8mw and those 10-20 50-100 or more get placed in OTHER units.

Few units have a true 1w diode, thus only getting 500mw in a true DPSS at 100% efficenticy.

E