Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The ICU situation worsening is also fueled by non-covid patients. We should start to see some covid numbers come it right about the time for new year's. Maybe that will convince people to stay home.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
do you think its safe to see my father and sister? i dont get to see them often so i value seeing them. but i dont want to risk covid 19

nbp

Flashaholic
Also, in some places overall testing numbers are down so the percentage of positive cases is up correspondingly.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Word of caution.

Your 'bubble' (social, work, personal, shopping) may be good or very good. But go ahead and plan for it to be invaded. At this time, I am seeing all but the very best bubbles start to be penetrated. It took much longer than expected but it's happening, and this was BEFORE the Christmas travel.

Wife had it and goes back to work tomorrow. Countermeasures: We ran a humidifier 24x7 along with pretty much all the ceiling fans to get the moist air distributed. She took the master suite over. Trips to the rest of the house were followed with wiping down fridge handle, kitchen faucet, doorknobs, and all surfaces touched.

We will continue the humidification for a long while, and are considering UV lights in the HVAC.

My hope is a drastically accelerated production & distribution very soon. (the vaccine of course, the virus is doing quite well on its own)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thinking :). Yes in theory we can modify a benign virus to have similar "shell" like the Covid-19 virus and let it spread and train the immune systems of the whole population. But this comes with great risks and questions. Life can't be simply contained and mutations will happen and we could end up in bigger mess than we currently are.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
That`s just given me an idea, Why can`t a vaccine be made to spread in the same way as the `rona? like an anti-virus virus.
I think you will enjoy this article: https://berthub.eu/articles/posts/reverse-engineering-source-code-of-the-biontech-pfizer-vaccine/
It explains how the vaccine works in more detail and draws comparison to anti-virus on PC and RAM/Flash storage :). It goes through the whole source code of the vaccine. I was amazed how far have we got in the recent years, we can basically write DNA code and then print it out with DNA printers.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well it`s always struck me as being a bit one sided, we have Bacteria for instance both `Good` and `Bad` in fact without the good bacteria we would die! and yet viruses only ever seem to do bad stuff, can`t we code something that would actually be of Benefit and helpful to us for a change?
seems like it could be a powerful ally if we knew how to harness it properly.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-replicating viruses with modified DNA are already being used in experimental gene treatments and there is a huge opportunity to expand this usage for targeted cancer treatment and so on. So in the end, viruses can be also good for us (scientific article: The Good Viruses Do). We are only beginning to scratch the surface here.
In the recent years modified viruses are used to cure Cystic Fibrosis, which is a health condition that you are born with and it's caused by a wrong genetic information in all of your cells. Until we could only suppress the effects by taking expensive drugs for your whole lifetime but even that would be of limited help and life expectancy is shorter. Instead of treating the symptoms we can fix the error in the genetic code by using a virus to deliver the "update" or "patch" to each cell. I guess I am going off topic here but it's very interesting.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
well it`s always struck me as being a bit one sided, we have Bacteria for instance both `Good` and `Bad` in fact without the good bacteria we would die! and yet viruses only ever seem to do bad stuff, can`t we code something that would actually be of Benefit and helpful to us for a change?
In nature viruses are already quite beneficial. In fact, life on this planet couldn't exist without them:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200617-what-if-all-viruses-disappeared

turbodog

Flashaholic

This is how we get zombies!

In seriousness... making an active spreading virus pretty much violates every professional ethics rule out there.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For those who haven't heard, Dawn Wells (Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island") passed away today, due to complications from Covid-19.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
how are tgey going to decide who gets a hopital bed? or gets booted?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer helps out a widower from time to time. Her friend passed away from cancer a while back so she helps out her elderly husband at times. Well, he has a son who's an idiot according to the stories I hear. He went to see his pop on Christmas day. Ok, nothing unusual there, right? Now he failed to tell his pop of his slight fever, cough and body aches. He failed to say "hey pop, I think I have the flu" or anything of the sort. He failed to tell his pop "oh by the way because I was feeling so lousy yesterday I got tested for covid-19"……

Day after Christmas Mrs Fixer went by the widowers house to lend a hand and stayed several hours. See, the old dude had busted his hand and needed assistance with a bandage so Mrs Fixer patched him up (again). On Monday dude says "oh by the way my son's test came back positive"…… "what test?" "you mean your son came over sick and didn't tell you?" "and you are just now finding out he has covid-19?"……
"seriously?" :mad:

Man, are you kidding me? Knucklehead went to see his dad on Christmas day knowing he had a fever. Pandemic aside, you just don't do that folks. Even if it was just a cold or flu you don't expose your elderly (and in this case,somewhat frail) parent(s). You just don't, man!

Mrs Fixers test came back negative thank goodness. But it's an example of how the human race does such a great job at spreading disease. We're still waiting on the test results for her friends widower (crossing fingers). Thusfar homie is symptom free. After nearly a week after potential exposure to him that's a good sign anyway.

I'm leaving out the colorful language of how I feel about the deal. But we had to put our life on halt mode for a few days because moron-dude went to see his dad knowing he was sick.

I suppose you can't fix stupid.

Edit: the widowers test came back negative. Phew!
:thumbsup:
End edit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts