Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodog

Flashaholic
And where does it go from there? Insurance companies and big companies having all that power?
Well let's see here Mr JRT, it says here you didn't get your flu stot last year, you're fired". "Your analytics say you've got high trigricerides, you're outta here"……

And tell the families of the 1300+ people who have died from complications of the vaccine "get your shot or you don't get to enter the baseball stadium?"
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

Again, where would it end?

Y'all must not be paying attention... the framework for this is being built already. More than one employer has a no tobacco policy. And I've seen prosecutions for people that knowingly infected others with STDs. And employers that reward weight loss and gym attendance are simply acting against those that do not lose weight or work out.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
And where does it go from there? Insurance companies and big companies having all that power?
Well let's see here Mr JRT, it says here you didn't get your flu stot last year, you're fired". "Your analytics say you've got high trigricerides, you're outta here"……

And tell the families of the 1300+ people who have died from complications of the vaccine "get your shot or you don't get to enter the baseball stadium?"

Why do we always have to assume incrementalism? The vaccine policy could begin and end exactly as I described. Also, lots of jobs, especially for those in health care such as my brother's job, already require flu shots. The legal framework is in place for this. When you become an employee of a company, it's a voluntary relationship where you agree to abide by any rules they set. If you don't like the rules, you're always free to leave and find a place with rules more to your liking. Or start a home-based business where there are no rules at all. Here at least the reasons for pushing people to get vaccinated have to do with public health. That's actually a very valid reason.

1381 deaths after 76 million doses isn't a horrible number. In fact, some number of those people may have died from other causes not related to the vaccine. That's why each case of death needs to be thoroughly investigated. There may be a certain set of health conditions which places some people at unacceptable risk if they get vaccinated. I'm fine giving those people a waiver. It's such a small number that doing so won't prevent reaching eventual herd immunity. We've given waivers from vaccinations in the past for medical reasons.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Y'all must not be paying attention... the framework for this is being built already. More than one employer has a no tobacco policy. And I've seen prosecutions for people that knowingly infected others with STDs. And employers that reward weight loss and gym attendance are simply acting against those that do not lose weight or work out.

More directly related to the task at hand, good luck enrolling your kid in school without getting them the full course of childhood vaccinations; in many states I don't wanna isn't good enough for an exemption.

turbodog

Flashaholic
More directly related to the task at hand, good luck enrolling your kid in school without getting them the full course of childhood vaccinations; in many states I don't wanna isn't good enough for an exemption.

The biggest legal impediment is that the FDA issued an EMERGENCY use exception. Good luck getting c-19 shots being required past your corporate legal dept. The reality is that there would be a revolt in the population as a whole as vaccine hesitancy is so stupidly high. There would be a flood of people asking their GP to issue an exemption.

Poppy

Flashaholic

After reading the link posted, your interpretation is mistaken. According to the link there were no deaths related to the vaccine.

Over 76 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through March 1, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 1,381 reports of death (0.0018%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA physicians review each case report of death as soon as notified and CDC requests medical records to further assess reports. A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The possibility of anaphylaxis is the most immediate concern after any type of vaccination. That's why patients are typically observed for 15 to 30 minutes after receiving a shot. If it's going to happen it will usually occur quickly after vaccination. I heard of a few reactions happening overseas but they were quickly remediated with an epinephrine-type treatment.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The biggest legal impediment is that the FDA issued an EMERGENCY use exception. Good luck getting c-19 shots being required past your corporate legal dept. The reality is that there would be a revolt in the population as a whole as vaccine hesitancy is so stupidly high. There would be a flood of people asking their GP to issue an exemption.

These specific vaccines at this specific time, sure. But in the future the legalities will change, there will be more information on the vaccines, and it may well be like childhood vaccinations, no-smoking policies, drug testing, and numerous other mandates placed upon people as a condition for certain fundamental things in life.

nbp

Flashaholic
It would help if parties that declined the vaccination, would get notification that their insurers would refuse to pay for any subsequent COVID-related health care expenses; that would go a way towards solving a couple of problems.

Considering they don't do this for a myriad other risky behaviors I don't see it happening now. They dont refuse treatment for smokers and vapers, people who have several alcoholic drinks per day, people who use abuse drugs, people with multiple sexual partners, people who eat too much fast food, people who are overweight, people who don't manage their diabetes effectively, people who don't wear seatbelts, people who race motorcycles or ski down mountains, or any other preventable risky or self destructive behavior. These things kill hundreds of thousands every year like clockwork and no one gets outraged at all. If the 600 lb person or the chainsmoker gets treated so should the person who chooses not to get a COVID19 vaccination.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm fascinated by the perspective of people posting in this one. Not a right or wrong, agree or disagree type thing. Just a "well that's one persons perspective".
Like the old saying "you do not know what it's like for the other until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

It seems some a very concerned about the virus. Some are not. Most are somewhere in between.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
They dont refuse treatment for smokers and vapers, people who have several alcoholic drinks per day, people who use abuse drugs, people with multiple sexual partners, people who eat too much fast food, people who are overweight, people who don't manage their diabetes effectively, people who don't wear seatbelts, people who race motorcycles or ski down mountains, or any other preventable risky or self destructive behavior. These things kill hundreds of thousands every year like clockwork and no one gets outraged at all. If the 600 lb person or the chainsmoker gets treated so should the person who chooses not to get a COVID19 vaccination.

if you have a good look at that list, you`ll notice (with the possible exception of multiple sex partners) that all of these involve only risk to Self, I wouldn`t expect anyone to be outraged at this. Refusing to have the vaccine or self isolate is a direct risk to others and those people need to be held accountable for it.
It seems so many today know more about their rights than their responsibilities, it`s a very selfish, self important, me, me, me age we live in :(

nbp

Flashaholic
That is a topic I see a lot of confusion on, Katherine. So far there is not good data to prove that the vaccine will prevent you from transmitting viral particles, only that it will prevent the recipient themselves from illness. If/when it is proven that the vaccine can/will prevent you from being able to spread the virus, then that argument will definitely hold water. If it turns out it only protects the vaccinated person and does not prevent them from shedding viral particles, then it really is up to each individual as to whether they want that protection for themselves. I am very interested in the findings on this topic.

Tangentially, I would say that second hand smoke damage and the risks to others by those who drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol are in fact very real also.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I just saw some talk about the vaccine preventing spread as well. One study was from Israel, or maybe just some evidence so far. It'll take time to know for sure. Of course it seems like it would depend on timing as well...did you get the shot last week or a month ago.

In the US we are about 7-12% fully vaccinated and 15-20% partially depending on the state. Getting things rolling.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
100% if these things are done around others then it is dangerous, it`s a bit like the old saying something to the effect of ` your right to wave your fists about, ends where the other persons nose starts`.

I remember hearing something said by one of our .Gov science advisors that the vaccine will lower the chances of passing it on but there`s no percentage worked out yet, my concern is that if enough people don`t get vaccinated and within a certain timeframe (this applies globally) that there will be variants appear that will put us ALL in danger again. this whole covid thing started with a single person and now look at it, it only takes One and we`re all screwed again.
We managed to get rid of smallpox, so I`m sure it can be done again as long as there are no hosts keeping it `alive`, we certainly owe it to each other to try.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
That is a topic I see a lot of confusion on, Katherine. So far there is not good data to prove that the vaccine will prevent you from transmitting viral particles, only that it will prevent the recipient themselves from illness. If/when it is proven that the vaccine can/will prevent you from being able to spread the virus, then that argument will definitely hold water. If it turns out it only protects the vaccinated person and does not prevent them from shedding viral particles, then it really is up to each individual as to whether they want that protection for themselves. I am very interested in the findings on this topic.

Absolutely prevent you from shedding particles? Probably not - being vaccinated and producing antibodies isn't an impenetrable shield by any means. And for those for whom get sick anyway and their immune system simply gets an upper hand on the infection because of the vaccine odds are they'll be shedding enough particles to infect someone else who doesn't take precautions. But if it works like most other vaccines and effectively prevents an infection from taking root for a strong majority of those vaccinated, odds are quite high that any viral load you might be shedding won't expel enough particles to infect another person not taking precautions since there will be so few particles being produced.

nbp

Flashaholic
@Katherine. Yes, all true. My armchair expert prediction is that people will probably have to get shots annually or at least at some regular interval like the flu. Experts are saying that it could take into 2023 or even 2024 to get the whole world vaccinated so it will be circulating for some time.

nbp

Flashaholic
As an aside, I am not any kind of anti-vaxxer. I trust that these vaccines are probably as safe as any of the other ones people regularly take. But it gets a little weird when some folks start talking about forcing medical treatments on people, so I think that is an area that requires care and sensitivity and patience. We should all show love and concern for our neighbor and their safety, but also respect their feelings about medical care. It is a delicate balance. That was my only point really.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just attended a company luncheon with 26 people who talked mostly about current events, yet not one word about the pandemic. We all entered the restaraunt wearing a mask but once in the meeting room everybody removed them. One person said "I'll be glad when I won't need this anymore" pointing to the mask and another said "me too". That was the total extent of the conversation related to the pandemic.

The table had 28 chairs for 26 people. I had a chair between me and the fellow next to me. At the other end the oldest person in the room did the same. Like me, he instinctively took a spot with a gap and set his jacket in the unused chair. I would have done that before the pandemic for two reasons. First, it's flu season and my habits had been to do that years ago. Second, my elbow won't bump my neighbor while cutting my steak. So in say 10 years when the pandemic has passed us by I will still pick a spot with a gap between the next person away if available. Maybe by then everybody on planet earth that wants one will have received the covid-19 innoculation.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I just attended a company luncheon with 26 people who talked mostly about current events, yet not one word about the pandemic. We all entered the restaraunt wearing a mask but once in the meeting room everybody removed them. One person said "I'll be glad when I won't need this anymore" pointing to the mask and another said "me too". That was the total extent of the conversation related to the pandemic.

The table had 28 chairs for 26 people. I had a chair between me and the fellow next to me. At the other end the oldest person in the room did the same. Like me, he instinctively took a spot with a gap and set his jacket in the unused chair. I would have done that before the pandemic for two reasons. First, it's flu season and my habits had been to do that years ago. Second, my elbow won't bump my neighbor while cutting my steak. So in say 10 years when the pandemic has passed us by I will still pick a spot with a gap between the next person away if available. Maybe by then everybody on planet earth that wants one will have received the covid-19 innoculation.
I'll probably be wearing a mask indefinitely whenever I'm in a indoor public place (but not outdoors) once this is over. I don't like being sidelined by colds, or more occasionally the flu. I'll also continue to keep at least 6 feet away from people indoors for the same reason. I figure I'll not only avoid seasonal illnesses by doing this but if another pandemic starts before I'm aware of it the mask will at least offer some protection. Of course, if we start disinfecting public spaces continuously with UV-C I won't feel a need to do these things.

I'm no longer going to stadiums, theaters, indoor restaurants, or anything similar, ever. Even in the best of times these places are like petri dishes. Besides, it's not like I went to them that often anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.