Couple quick questions from a newb

krevo

Newly Enlightened
:)

Howdy guys...

Had a couple questions after reading this forum for some time.

First and foremost, my primary carry is a Surefire 6P(N) w/ P61 and clickcap. I was wondering the most inexpensive way to get it over to rechargables, as opposed to 123's.

Also, what options do I have for reasonable priced LED conversions for this light? (aside from Surefire's $60 dollar head)

Sencondly, I was wondering about my tec40's, and what upgrades are available for this model. (ie. brighter bulb, led conversion, etc)

I just recently ordered myself a new SF G3, and I heard someone mention it being able to accept drop in rechargable batteries. Is this correct?

Last but not least, how much is a USL? :naughty::laughing:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
krevo said:
First and foremost, my primary carry is a Surefire 6P(N) w/ P61 and clickcap. I was wondering the most inexpensive way to get it over to rechargables, as opposed to 123's.

A14 adapter, B65 and charger. Can be obtained from many sources. I like opticshq.com

I know I've answered this before recently...
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151004

You might get more responses with a more descriptive title for your thread also.

JM-99

Last edited:

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Wow.

44 views and all I got is a suggestion to use the search feature and to retitle my thread.

:aaa:

zx7dave

Enlightened
Try the G&P 3 Watt drop in or the Cree P4 dropin from www.lighthound.com They are about $34 and $39 respectively.
The Cree P4 will be about the same output as the P61 bulb but last about 2.5 hours instead of 20 minutes, but the bezel will only screw on about 85% since the assembly is deeper.
The G&P 3 watt drop in is nice all around, and has similiar output to the P60 bulb. Should last in the 3hr range and bezel screws in all the way without issues.
With LED's having better run time, you may not need the rechargeables.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
A little patience might help. :) For LED, try a 3W Lux drop-in (G&P or BOG). Simply replaces the P60 or P61 (or P90) LA and is bright, inexpensive, throws nicely. 2 rechargeable, protected 17500 cells from AW will make the G3 happy and will keep the output from going yellowish so fast when using the P90 LA. And the best part-----no need to keep shelling out for batteries!

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Cool!

Appreciate the info!

So I read good things about the Cree, however, I'm bit weary of my light not being element proof. I carry it exclusively when I camp, and I fish and kayak at night.

Probably need to go with the model that ensures watertight operation.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
krevo said:
Cool!

Appreciate the info!

So I read good things about the Cree, however, I'm bit weary of my light not being element proof. I carry it exclusively when I camp, and I fish and kayak at night.

Probably need to go with the model that ensures watertight operation.

Quick caveat emptor - the 3W lux drop-ins also do not let the head screw down ALL the way! They will still stop with approx 1/32" or so gap. I do not think this affects water/rain resistance at all, but you should be aware...Even the factory 6P is not "waterproof".

krevo

Newly Enlightened
nobody said:
Quick caveat emptor - the 3W lux drop-ins also do not let the head screw down ALL the way! They will still stop with approx 1/32" or so gap. I do not think this affects water/rain resistance at all, but you should be aware...Even the factory 6P is not "waterproof".

I thought mine was.

I have the 6P(N) and according to the manufacturer it's watertight to 30 meters?

Is this not true...

nobody

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm..I do not know what a 6P(N) is. I have had a 6P forever...However if SF says it's good to 30 meters, then you can take that to the bank. They do not BS on performance specs. I would not try 30m with my though!

krevo

Newly Enlightened
6P(N) is "supposedly" Navy Seal spec'd to 30 meters and is double ringed on the screw caps. I've taken it underwater about 15 ft, never 30 meters lol.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
So I've decided to myself a Cree for the 6P.

Is there a huge difference in quality over the Lighthound drop in Cree and the Ultrafire Cree Drop in? There sure is a massive difference in price between the two.