CPF Only Pre-order: Arc-AAA Ultraviolet

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a cheapo coin cell uv led light, and when I point it through a pair of UV-blocking sunglasses it still makes stuff on the other side fluoresce. It's probably 395mm or something like that. Maybe the glasses block more at shorter wavelengths.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The previous UV models also were rated for the same number of hours and warranty. Never had an LED go dead- yet. So there is not a lot of precident to draw upon. The head could be swapped easily enough.

peter

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did I miss this so long? Order's in the queue now, thanks Peter.

Kids, take the eye protection seriously. Your pets and children aren't protected and their eyes aren't old enough to have yellowed lenses that help protect you.

If you believe the "100%" claims on any treated lenses, take them to your opthalmologist who can put them on a meter and tell you the truth. Or see if you get fluorescence shining your UV light through your supposedly 100% lenses. Advertising is "puffery" and legally you are expected to know not to believe advertising claims are true -- that's the law in the USA. Sorry.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Peter. I guess the 1000 hours is a lowball guess.

What would the cost be for a swapped out head and would you want the original head returned?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the unit failed while under warranty, the cost is zero of course. For any other reason, I could sell the head for say $20 each. But before you do that, drop me a line.

peter

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question --- for very cold weather, I like the Energizer lithium cells (for my old PDA, and for flashlights) because they don't lose power at low temps.
Any concern using these (1.7v nominal, I think, when fresh)?

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I have a cheapo coin cell uv led light, and when I point it through a pair of UV-blocking sunglasses it still makes stuff on the other side fluoresce. It's probably 395mm or something like that. Maybe the glasses block more at shorter wavelengths.

In addition to the puffery of advertising (which is much more closely monitored when the advertising is regarding medical performance, by the way), you also have to realize that fluorescent items do react to near-fluorescent wavelengths, as well; just not as much. If you have any doubt, take a blue LED and shine it on a fluorescent poster; you'll see what I mean.

Also, since my glasses are not of the wrap-around kind, I don't trust them to block 100% of the UV light that can enter my eyes; I merely trust them to greatly diminish it, seeing as how they block a great portion of it. And believe me, they do block a great portion of it. All I have to do to verify this is to have my UV light be the only light source in the room, and take my glasses off. The discomfort is immediate, and it is alleviated when I put my specs back on.

I did not mean to say that it would be safe for me to stare down the business end of any UV-producing source for any length of time:eek:, even with my glasses, but they will surely minimize the effects of my own stupidity when I glance into the beam. (Because, trust me, I have done this.:ohgeez: Shucks, look at my avatar... I stared down the Beast II at about one yard! :green: To some degree or other, we all do this "Stupid Human Trick" at some point, with each light we own or even examine. It's part of our disease. :cool:)

Anyway, thanks for protecting the naive reading this thread, and thanks for letting me clarify my statements.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Should I be giving protective eye wear along with these lights? They will be gifts. One is going to my sister-in-law for Christmas. She is an antiques dealer.

Any suggestions?

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Should I be giving protective eye wear along with these lights? They will be gifts. One is going to my sister-in-law for Christmas. She is an antiques dealer.

Any suggestions?

I don't give out the eyewear when I give the lights. Does Spencer's Gifts give out (or even recommend) protective eyewear when they sell UV lights or replacement bulbs? This light is a good UV source, but my own non-medically-trained (I feel it's REALLY important to state that in this context) opinion is that it's not dangerous when used as intended, and as I personally believe most adults would use it. I would NOT give this light to most children.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
So far, I think it's a great little light!!! :twothumbs
It reveals fluorescence in items surprisingly well; I think that 10mW value is very close to being accurate. :thumbsup:
I'll be publishing my evaluation of it somewhere near 6:00am PDT tomorrow (10-02-07).

jcompton

Enlightened
So far, I think it's a great little light!!! :twothumbs
It reveals fluorescence in items surprisingly well; I think that 10mW value is very close to being accurate. :thumbsup:
I'll be publishing my evaluation of it somewhere near 6:00am PDT tomorrow (10-02-07).

Will some Norland61 be included in a section of your review??? :poke: :grin2:

trivergata

Enlightened
As far as BS advertising in UV protection, I know Oakley is legit - I own one of the (more or less) cheaper pairs, and they keep my A19 from making anything glow!

Josh

Lampje

Newly Enlightened
One question --- for very cold weather, I like the Energizer lithium cells (for my old PDA, and for flashlights) because they don't lose power at low temps.
Any concern using these (1.7v nominal, I think, when fresh)?

Peter, can you please answer this question. I want to know this also.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Man, mine should have been here today, I looked at the fedex tracking and the only info is that Arc had transmitted the data to fedex, that's it. I emailed Arc about it, man, I had hoped to have it today! Doug:) ps, it said I should have received it today by 7 pm. dang!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.