CPF will eventually linger on as an example of how BBS were killed off by over modera

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Slow death's don't work on CPF. Some have the ability to cause quick ones though. :whistle:

packeteer

Newly Enlightened
it's a complex topic. Many popular forums have died off as people move to Facebook (which sucks). I'm the admin of a large group (25k), and I do it to help people, but it takes a LOT of time and effort not to "go postal".

Wendee

Enlightened
Eventually linger on is redundant; and the title as a whole doesn't make sense.

Chauncey Gardiner, posts here and mytractorforum.com with the same username. If you think you read me anywhere else, let me know cuz it isn't me. I'm only on two forums.

oh, and a :kiss: for Greta's butt.

~ C.G.
Chauncy, that's funny. You're on two forums, CPF and MyTractorForum? Of all the possible interests in the world, those are your two favorite?

My favorite thing is flashlights (of course) and my husband's favorite thing is tractors (he loves MyTractorForum and anything "tractor" related).

Too bad we aren't neighbours, the three of us would certainly never run out of things to talk about!

Sorry if I'm off topic. I guess I should catch up by reading this thread from the beginning. I saw the "kiss for Greta's butt" post and just had to read it (what what? who's kissing who, and where? what? :eek:oo:) lol.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just now looked on the forum main page, scrolled down and saw that there are six times as many visitors as members online currently. It may be too much work to set it up but, wouldn't it be nice if the want-to-sell items were classified by battery (such as 1X18650, 2AA) so that the less experienced folks can more efectively find flashlights they might be interested in? Perhaps this would make more visitors want to become members, and maybe become level 1 subscribers, and prolong this alleged, eventually lingering, slow death of candlepowerforums? It just seems a win/win to help the newcomers yet, of course, still welcoming the congnoscenti to speak in flashlightese when they wish.

And maybe some plans for succession could be considered in the distant years to come. CPF is too valuable for mortality's kiss.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am finding that many new members are posting in the appropriate threads for their first posts. I think that lurkers wanting info will read it, and post when they are ready. I lurked for about 6 months before I joined CPF.

Bill

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Overmoderation killed Slashdot after the DICE acquisition. I was in on Slashdot just after "Chips and Dips." Had a low 5 digit user id.

That group really liked their freedom of speech. After the "F-Beta" fiasco, I never went back. It went from good signal-to-noise ratio to worse and worse, Slashdot is dead. Long live Slashdot.

CPF is a whole lot like how Slashdot used to be, except Slashdot was self-policing. DICE kept trying to change that and the user base revolted. If it's not broken, fix it until it is... right?

Edit: Oh, and the moderation system used to allow reading posts that were modded down. Some called this "browsing at -1." You would not belieeeeeeeve what happened at the -1 level. :)

I am a Mod on another forum. Run the gear and bushcraft section. Big believer in a light hand but have zero tolerance for racist cr@p and blatant bad intent trolling. I go easy on spammers if the spam is topical and they actually contribute. I kill bots without mercy. :grin2:

edit.

On a side note I think the term troll is used too often on the internet. If someone has good intent but say strongly dislikes a beloved brand or gear item it's ok IMHO. From my perspective sometimes problems can arise from fan boys and girls who simply can't accept another person doesn't love their beloved whatever. But again that's just me and learned long ago on various forums that within a debate saying the last word means nothing and not everyone thinks the same. Agreeing to disagree even if the other person won't is good.

Last edited: