CR2 light question

Illum

Flashaholic
No rechargeables, you're going to fry it. The Aeon lasts 40 hours on low, there is no need to take the cheap route.

Using a Sanyo CR2 and six 6-hour runtime trials [using a stopwatch distributed for 36 hours total spanning 7 days] it lasted for an estimated 34 hours of operation...I hope somecome comes up with a graph with more accurate results soon

Slate,

You'll be glad you did. After you get over the initial idea of paying $125 for something so small. Then you realize how awesome it is that something so small can do such amazing things. I find myself playing with this light all of the time.

it also attracts the most attention in the darkness...especially when upon confrontation they see you holding it using only two fingers instead of the ice pick style they'd assumed given the light output.

Last edited:

Southernlight

Enlightened
Go for it, it's an amazing bomb proof little light that is quite versatile. It's my main EDC, and it would be hard to go back to carrying a bigger light after being spoiled with the aeon. I can 3rd or 4th on the battery life, I'm only on my second battery and I've owned it for months.

Pics:

3239342114_e806a2beed.jpg

3238502741_b346676d5f.jpg

Well this thread has made me just pop over to 4sevens and order a Aeon. I've wanted one for so long and the price drop has made it easy - I have a few CR2s already to feed it. :grin2:

Jonesy I am curious how you tied that cord to that shape? Is there a website or somewhere I can learn to do that? :thinking:

Thanks

Tim

slate

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one of the last Red colored Aeons direct from Enrique. I could have saved some $ by going with 4-sevens but I wanted the red color. It should be here any day now.

Oh as far as the paracord knots, there are tons of videos on youtube showing how to make different styles and knots. Just search for Paracord knots. Also there are a few website shops that make lanyards. I have ordered a few from a place called The Lanyard zone. They did nice work.

juplin

Enlightened
One thing good for my EZ CR2 is this light can accept 3.2V LiFePO4 CR2, 3.0V CR2 primary, 1.5V UM-5 primary, and 1.2V CR2-sized NiMH.
The High brightness of my EZ CR2 powered by 1.2V CR2-sized NiMH is very close to that powered by 3.2V LiFePO4 CR2. :thumbsup:

Ainsley

Newly Enlightened
I finally broke down and ordered a Red Aeon. Apparently it was the last one. I plan on neck carrying it and using it as my backup light for outdoors activities. At the moment i use a E01 for this, but the increased runtime of the Aeon on low and the non-blue beam will be a very nice change.

A tad OT but where has everyone been picking up CR2s at a good price? I saw a few posts on the other Aeon thread and duracell seems to be the way to go, any links for me?

Edit: That lanyard looks like a noose to me, Chris Reeve had instructions on his site, not sure if he still does tho.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing good for my EZ CR2 is this light can accept 3.2V LiFePO4 CR2, 3.0V CR2 primary, 1.5V UM-5 primary, and 1.2V CR2-sized NiMH.
The High brightness of my EZ CR2 powered by 1.2V CR2-sized NiMH is very close to that powered by 3.2V LiFePO4 CR2. :thumbsup:

The Aeon has always been able to run, in regulation, on every single one of your listed cells. I've discussed the topic of rechargeable cells in general, and their use in my lights, fairly extensively here: http://weblog.muyshondt.net/?p=11

-Enrique

juplin

Enlightened
The Aeon has always been able to run, in regulation, on every single one of your listed cells. I've discussed the topic of rechargeable cells in general, and their use in my lights, fairly extensively here: http://weblog.muyshondt.net/?p=11

-Enrique
Thanks for the response and the linked information.

I still believe 3.2V LiFePO4 CR2 is the best power source for both Aeon and EZ CR2 due to the brightness, efficiency for the boost converter, safety, and most importantly, environmental protection provided by this 3.2V rechargeable battery.

Skillful users will be no problem to take out the LiFePO4 CR2 to recharge before its overdischarge, since the brightness of the light will be significantly dimming before overdischarge (thanks to the nature of the boost converter), or by checking the brightness of High and Low mode which will be very close before the overdischarge of the LiFePO4 CR2.

Even if the LiFePO4 CR2 is overdischarged and invalidated, the cost of LiFePO4 CR2 is almost same as CR2 primary in most countries.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
A tad OT but where has everyone been picking up CR2s at a good price? I saw a few posts on the other Aeon thread and duracell seems to be the way to go, any links for me?

I usually look for them at every store I go into. I found one at Food Lion one day that was priced at $3.00. It was the last one they had and had a use before date of 2016. I found a two pack in a Port Washington, NY drug store that was priced at $6.69. They are expensive cells but I love this little light. If I can get 40 hours of light for 3+ dollars that's not so bad. It sad that stores like Best Buy sell a two pack for $15.00. I've seen single cells as high as $9.99. I also have some Titanium cells that I bought for a buck a piece but I'm kinda scared of the Chinese batteries although I'm sure its all unfounded. I know it can't cost that much to produce these cells and with all of the cameras that use them they are pretty much mainstream. I just don't get it.

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

I just got a Aeon. In case anyone is interested, here are the current draws:

Low mode:
Input Volts: 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 3.0 3.1 3.2
Input Amps: 0.030 0.023 0.019 0.018 0.018 0.019 0.021

High Mode:
Input Volts: 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 3.0 3.1 3.2
Input Amps: 0.52 0.50 0.47 0.45 0.42 0.40 0.40

Yeah, 2.9V is absent intentionally. I can't persuade the CPF editor to make the text align even trying Courier font, so you'll just have to deal with it. Enjoy the data.

Xe54

Enlightened
Thanks for the response and the linked information.

I still believe 3.2V LiFePO4 CR2 is the best power source for both Aeon and EZ CR2 due to the brightness, efficiency for the boost converter, safety, and most importantly, environmental protection provided by this 3.2V rechargeable battery.

Skillful users will be no problem to take out the LiFePO4 CR2 to recharge before its overdischarge, since the brightness of the light will be significantly dimming before overdischarge (thanks to the nature of the boost converter), or by checking the brightness of High and Low mode which will be very close before the overdischarge of the LiFePO4 CR2.

I'm not sure about this.

I just checked the behavior of the Aeon with a Xantrex XDL-35-5T power supply (very high precision, $1500 instrument) and on high mode, I stepped the voltage down in 0.1V increments. The light remained at full brightness (no perceptible changes) until stepping from 1.7V -> 1.6V. Then the high was only slightly brighter than low.

Additionally, the light can start from 1.7V and switch to high mode with no problem.

Granted, a battery may give different results due to internal impedance. I was using a 1.000A current limit. The light reached about 0.98A draw at 1.7V in high mode.

The efficiency is clearly dropping at the low voltages, as the light uses 1.26W at 3.0V and 0.42A, increasing to 1.67W at 1.7V.

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

Ok, I bought an Aeon instead of an EZ-CR2 because the Aeon was significantly smaller. Now what am I going to do with it?

Granted, this is a beautiful light. I'm thoroughly impressed. It does appear, from the current draw, that it is capable of running the advertised 40 hrs. on low (as I am sure this has been tested with actual cells). The light output on low is also quite satisfactory under dark conditions to be truly useful, so this light can really deliver where cell conservation matters.

The trouble for me is, the high is a bit too high, and the low is too low, for general use in the dark corners room light where I usually deploy a EDC flashlight. I EDC a Nitecore EX10 presently. I set this to medium, which is good for 90% of the time I need it. I also demand a single push for my primary EDC, since I want to be able to activate it with one hand. So there's no way this can become my primary EDC.

My backup light is an ARC AAA-P, a light which I keep since AAA batteries are easy to find, and it is very unobtrusive in the pocket, which already is burdened by the EX10, keys, more keys, and perhaps some data.

So if anything is going to succeed at displacing the ARC for backup status, it has to not significantly add to the bulk already present. One thing the ARC does nicely, is move freely on my key ring, avoiding hangups.

The Aeon ring is a bit stickier in the tab, but this might not be a big deal. Or I can add a short lanyard cord or chain of some sort. For some reason, I like to keep the backup light on the keyring.

This will be a tough decision. This might be too $$$ of a light just to be a shelf queen. I should either deploy it, or sell it off after having had the chance to evaluate it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Muyshondt Aeon Current Draw

Xe54, I cleaned up your values for easier viewing:thumbsup:

Code:
Low mode:
Input Volts:     2.5     2.6     2.7     2.8     3.0     3.1     3.2
Input Amps:      0.030   0.023   0.019   0.018   0.018   0.019   0.021

High Mode:
Input Volts:     2.5     2.6     2.7     2.8     3.0     3.1     3.2
Input Amps:      0.52    0.50    0.47    0.45    0.42    0.40    0.40

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: Muyshondt Aeon Current Draw

Thanks, that was lovely. I'll try to remember that code tag.

the code feature on the forum needs a little tweaking, since tabbing is not allowed in this type of reply windows you'll have to hit "space" in front of numbers and hit "preview post" quite a few times to make sure everything lines up correctly. For those two lines of numbers I think I hit "preview post" about 9 times:ohgeez:

The Aeon's brass parts will start to tarnish once you start EDCing it, so...its anodizing and sapphire will retain its beauty on the long run but the neck brace sure doesn't...

Glad I could help;)

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

the code feature on the forum needs a little tweaking, since tabbing is not allowed in this type of reply windows you'll have to hit "space" in front of numbers and hit "preview post" quite a few times to make sure everything lines up correctly. For those two lines of numbers I think I hit "preview post" about 9 times:ohgeez:

Write it in windows notepad with "Courier New" as font, they you will get it right in first try.

juplin

Enlightened
Granted, a battery may give different results due to internal impedance.
By referring to the runtime curve of EZ CR2 in High mode tested by selfbuilt:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3031834&postcount=1
EZ CR2 under High mode maintains regulated in the first 32 minutes, then the light output will gradually decrease due to the increasing internal resistance of the battery.

Can't find the runtime curve of Aeon tested with battery. But the runtime curve under High mode is supposed to be very similar due to the same natures of battery and similar boost converters.

Illum

Flashaholic

Write it in windows notepad with "Courier New" as font, they you will get it right in first try.

Thank goodness!
that tip will be a lifesaver, especially when the return preview was a database error :rant:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
By referring to the runtime curve of EZ CR2 in High mode tested by selfbuilt:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3031834&postcount=1
EZ CR2 under High mode maintains regulated in the first 32 minutes, then the light output will gradually decrease due to the increasing internal resistance of the battery.

Can't find the runtime curve of Aeon tested with battery. But the runtime curve under High mode is supposed to be very similar due to the same natures of battery and similar boost converters.
The Aeon gets full 90 minutes on high and 40 hours on low. High-quality and efficiency is key. Don't say they are similar, that's a blasphemy, the Aeon is in a whole different category...