• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired D-Mag TAIL CAP with ADJUSTABLE SPRING ***INTEREST THREAD***

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am so very exited...:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's time someone came up with this sweet tail cap. :popcorn::popcorn:
To keep the price down, you may get away without the spring cup?

Tanasit

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice designs. I like the adjustability. Simpler and less massive would be my preference, I like sleepers. But there is room for bulky - something that matches my NanoBezels...

9x23

Enlightened
Nanomiser,

Very nice! I was recently searching for a stainless tailcap for my MagDs and couldn't find any so I am definitely interested in two.....maybe 3 depending on price. For me I don't need the lanyard holes since I've got download's MagRings coming, and I prefer not to have the back of the cap concave. However, I do like the flares and scallops in the design, but make sure all of the edges are radiused to avoid sharp edges.

Great job! I'll be watching this thread closely!

9x23

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might have enough room to install a adjustable low voltage circuit and LED in the tailcap to warn of over-discharging Li-Ion cells, like a HRPOLY-X or LiPo Saver. :thumbsup:

I think it would only be possible with a FM Battery adapter with a charging jack, otherwise it would be difficult to be in parallel with the pack, unless of course the circuit was installed above the switch.

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, pretty sure $3.50 wouldn't even cover the cost of materials :D

Just thought I'd throw something out there, you never know, it might have worked :naughty:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
peterthomson: I think this end cap would more then even up the weight distribution. I ran some mass property calculations and the tail cap assembly weight as is come in at ~14.88 ounces. :eek:oo: OUCH! I think that's a bit on the heavy side especially for those not using it with one of my bezels.

Nyctophiliac: I'm glad you like the design and I think the lanyard hole feature is a must have. Based on the weighty aspect of this cap design I may need to increase the size and number of holes just to shave off some mass. :) Ya, a switch just isn't going to be part of this design for the ergonomic issues we have already mentioned. Good point on the price, but I felt compelled to go there. As it turns out some members have already offered some helpful info so the query did bare some fruit.

donn: I prefer S.S. as well, but the design will probably remain fairly close to what it is now and may even get a little busier in order to add features that help shed some weight. You bring up a good point on the cap's outer diameter size. In fact this is one of the first things I will consider reducing to lighten the cap up. Like I have said, a C-Mag version will have to wait for another time if at all depending on how this cap does. Thank you for the price comparisons I will keep them as a reference.

tanasit: Glad you like the design.:) What would be the substitute for the spring cup?

Alan B: Thank you for the compliment.:) You have a very valid point on the mass which I will have to reduce. In terms of the size that will most likely have to trim down just to get rid of some weight.

9x23: Thank you for your positive remarks.:thumbsup: I think the lanyard holes need to stay for a couple of reasons, the use of a lanyard and weight reduction. The dish or concave feature would also follow suit and I will make sure to incorporate plenty of radiuses.

GLOCK18: Lanyard holes are a done deal. :)

julesj: Good to see you again, welcome. :)

Aircraft800: A warning circuit sounds like allot more than I want to get into as far as project scope. However, it would be a nice feature, but would also increase price significantly.

Tekno Cowboy: $3.50 sounds like a great price if I wasn't making the cap. :grin2:

Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement thus far. Please keep the ideas coming as they will hopefully shape this product into something everyone will appreciate and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aircraft800: A warning circuit sounds like allot more than I want to get into as far as project scope. However, it would be a nice feature, but would also increase price significantly.

I was just commenting on the extra space, the user has plenty of room to install one if they want to.

BSBG

Enlightened
Looks good!

I'd be interested in a couple depending on the usual - price, adjustability, finish, and price :thumbsup:.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Given the response so far, I think I'll start compling an interest list just to get an idea of quantity.

Hammer Train

Banned
Nano, I for one would appreciate the extra mass in the tailcap! I like my lights to feel solid and part of that is the weight which I don't mind - however I do appreciate that others may not like a really heavy tail! If there was an option between a 'heavy' and a 'lightened' version it's the heavy one that would get my vote, although it certainly wouldn't be a show stopper for me - I'm in for one no matter... :hitit:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: tanasit: Glad you like the design.:) What would be the substitute for the spring cup?

I think if you keep the dimension (springwise) close to the stock one, there is no need for spring adjustment (thus no cup = cut cost) because the spring can be easily stretch or cut. Moreover the bottom does not need to be bored down that deep plus no threads to cut just bored down deep enough to hold the spring up to the right position.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the center of the rotating spring platform (copper slug in your drawings) you need to broach in a hex shaped hole for a good sized hex key. maybe 6-8mm for when the threads get ornery after some contamination or corrosion. Trying to turn that thing otherwise would be nigh impossible.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
I totally agree Jimmy. :)

I was thinking of going with a small screw driver slot or two small holes in a 180 degree orientation for needle nose access. Barring any corrosion, at the very least the threads will see some wear and could begin to gall. I may need to provide some grease or at least suggest the use of a grease to mitigate the risk.

BTW great job on your regulator!:thumbsup:
It looks fantastic and the design sounds to be extremely versatile. I may just have to purchase one for a future build.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree Jimmy. :)

I was thinking of going with a small screw driver slot or two small holes in a 180 degree orientation for needle nose access. Barring any corrosion, at the very least the threads will see some wear and could begin to gall. I may need to provide some grease or at least suggest the use of a grease to mitigate the risk.

BTW great job on your regulator!:thumbsup:
It looks fantastic and the design sounds to be extremely versatile. I may just have to purchase one for a future build.

Figure out how to fit JimmyM's regulator it into your tailcap :thinking: It really wouldn't be practical though.