• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired D-Mag TAIL CAP with ADJUSTABLE SPRING ***INTEREST THREAD***

Nanomiser

Enlightened
RE: tanasit: Glad you like the design.:) What would be the substitute for the spring cup?

I think if you keep the dimension (springwise) close to the stock one, there is no need for spring adjustment (thus no cup = cut cost) because the spring can be easily stretch or cut. Moreover the bottom does not need to be bored down that deep plus no threads to cut just bored down deep enough to hold the spring up to the right position.

In the current design the spring is a stock C-Mag, but omitting the height adjust feature would allow me to use a stock D-Mag spring. Not having the adjustment feature would save on Fab cost, but then there goes half my reason for even making this cap. I'm not a big fan of chopping & stretching springs even when it is done sanitary. However, removing the adjustability would take care of weighty aspect because I could shorten the cap shedding a good portion of mass. The question is what would be the correct depth of the counter bore to position the spring so it would accommodate several different cell combinations?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree Jimmy. :)

I was thinking of going with a small screw driver slot or two small holes in a 180 degree orientation for needle nose access. Barring any corrosion, at the very least the threads will see some wear and could begin to gall. I may need to provide some grease or at least suggest the use of a grease to mitigate the risk.

BTW great job on your regulator!:thumbsup:
It looks fantastic and the design sounds to be extremely versatile. I may just have to purchase one for a future build.
Thanks for the kind words.

You can reduce the depth of the rotating slug quite a bit. I doubt that it needs to be any thicker than 1/4" simply for the threads. That would reduce mass/weight. you can the counterbore the inner part to hold the spring and further reduce mass. I'd suggest a UNC or ACME thread. Fine threads in a short yet large diameter can cross-thread easily.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
I agree, so I have reduced the spring cup length by .150" and added the slotted thru bore right in the middle of the bottom face, but I will be keeping the counter bore depth the same as it is already deeper than a Mag. I also realized that I may be able to reduce the depth of the tale cap adjustment threads by quite a bit which would allow me to shorten the entire cap and really cut down on the mass. In addition, I think some material could be hogged out of the bottom of the cap further reducing the weight.

I am in the process of modifying my models to reflect these changes. I will then do a virtual fit test with several different cell configurations which will tell me exactly what the range of adjustability will need to be in order to accommodate all of these different battery set ups. I will post these models for member scrutiny once I am finish. :)

Last edited:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
I know it's been a while :shakehead

I've had alot going on over the past few months. Anyways, I almost have all of the modeling done and I will post them as soon as I can.

Stay tuned :)

paetzi

Newly Enlightened
I´ll also stay tuned.
I think it will look nice at all maglites.
Hope you´ll be able to produce them soon.
What´s about placing an tritium vial to the back off it?
Is it possible to fill the holes with Glowpowder?

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Thank you for your compliment. :)

First I need to determine how much I can reduce the length and modify the profile in order to shave some weight off. I will then look at providing some grooves or holes for glow epoxy or stuff like that. The holes can be used for whatever you would like, but the design intent behind them is for use with a lanyard of some sort.

However, I will not provide or install glow epoxy or vials. The customer will have to figure that out or find someone to do so. I just don't want to include that in the project scope. Putting a polishing on these things will be more than enough work. :sweat:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Here is a model of my 2D Mag PH5761 hot wire. The tail cap show has been revised with a length reduction and a modified internal profile. Consequently the weight has been reduced by ~40% putting it at just over 8oz.

What other cell configurations do I need to consider besides tri-bore 3x17670, 2x32600 and 2xC-cell?
I will post more detailed models of the tail cap a bit later.

Last edited:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheWorks
Hey Mike,

"What exactly is the adjustable spring required for? I'd like to turn my 6D maglite into a 7D by removing the spring and hollowing out the tailcap. Is that what this tailcap would accomplish?"

Good question on the cap design. This is the sort of thing I am trying to flesh out in order to clarify the design intent. Unfortunately my tail cap will not be capable of transforming your 6D into a 7D. You are talking about 2.375" to 2.50" of addition tube length in order to accommodate that cell configuration. I know at one point Mag did produce a 7-D-cell light, but I'm not sure when or how many. I saw it on a thread for rare Maglites.

Doesn't anyone make a tube extension for D-Mags yet?

This is why I posed the question about cell configuration in my last post. I want to make sure there is enough justification to even move forward with the project. Maybe just producing another custom looking cap is enough for members, but I would like to have a practical aspect to it as well.

I'm trying to spur some more member response and ideas so please anyone else feel free to chime in. ;)

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a model of my 2D Mag PH5761 hot wire. The tail cap show has been revised with a length reduction and a modified internal profile. Consequently the weight has been reduced by ~40% putting it at just over 8oz.

Looks good! :thumbsup:

What other cell configurations do I need to consider besides tri-bore 3x17670, 2x32600 and 2xC-cell?
I still have a tri-bored 2.5D (6x17670) and a few tri-bored 2D's (6x17500) but since you already mentioned 3x17670 I think I'm covered. :)

I will post more detailed models of the tail cap a bit later.
Looking forward to the detailed models! :)

InTheWorks

Newly Enlightened
You are talking about 2.375" to 2.50" of addition tube length in order to accommodate that cell configuration.

yes you are correct. I hadn't measured it til now. I measured about 35mm of the 7th battery sticking out the end. If you look into the bottom of the body with all 6 batteries loaded it looks like there's maybe room for one more. There isn't though, at least not easily.

I know at one point Mag did produce a 7-D-cell light, but I'm not sure when or how many. I saw it on a thread for rare Maglites.
I don't need a 7D body. The 6D is long enough as it is ;p What I need is a better rechargeable battery solution that fits in a 6D body... You can read about my "problem" here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250553

I'm trying to spur some more member response and ideas so please anyone else feel free to chime in. ;)
I've got an idea, but I'm not sure how useful it is as it has nothing to do with battery configurations. I'm sure that the majority of people with D sized mags are only 2 or 3D long. I don't know how many "carry" a 6D anywhere, I certainly don't do it often, so this idea may be worthless to the majority.

One of the reasons that I don't carry my 6D mag around (besides that it's so freaking heavy) is that the 6D is long enough to consistently bang into my knee while walking when carried by the belt on a "ring shaped holder". I tried to remedy this in prototype fashion with the inside cardboard tube of a roll of paper towels. It's just the right size for a D sized mag to slide in. The idea was to "lash" one end to my leg and attach the other end to the "ring shaped holder".

That worked, kinda. "Drawing" the light out was like drawing a sword, except that it could only come out at one angle - the angle your leg happened to be pointing. Not really workable.

At the fair this year I happened to see the RCMP Musical Ride (google for more info). The lances the officers carried were "holstered" at their stirrups (pointy side straight up). Nothing too surprising about that, I'm sure the technology is centuries old. What was surprising though was that one of the riders had a hard time getting his lance into the cup (minds out of the gutters please). So I paid a little more attention to how these things were inserted into their holders and was surprised to see the riders "twist and lock" the lances.

So now I'm thinking that a good way to holster these longer lights is with a "ring shaped holder" and leg mounted cup all twist lock style. Basically you could unlock and draw at any angle. Holstering could be finicky, but I don't normally need to holster in a hurry.

I freely admit that I haven't thought the idea through and I'm sure there's something terribly wrong with it. Please feel free to rip it apart. And yes I realise that simply converting to 2D or 3D mag would be easier ;p At any rate, the idea would require a suitable "feature" in the tailcap to be useful.

-Stef

Nanomiser

Enlightened
yes you are correct. I hadn't measured it til now. I measured about 35mm of the 7th battery sticking out the end. If you look into the bottom of the body with all 6 batteries loaded it looks like there's maybe room for one more. There isn't though, at least not easily.

I don't need a 7D body. The 6D is long enough as it is ;p What I need is a better rechargeable battery solution that fits in a 6D body... You can read about my "problem" here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250553

I've got an idea, but I'm not sure how useful it is as it has nothing to do with battery configurations. I'm sure that the majority of people with D sized mags are only 2 or 3D long. I don't know how many "carry" a 6D anywhere, I certainly don't do it often, so this idea may be worthless to the majority.

One of the reasons that I don't carry my 6D mag around (besides that it's so freaking heavy) is that the 6D is long enough to consistently bang into my knee while walking when carried by the belt on a "ring shaped holder". I tried to remedy this in prototype fashion with the inside cardboard tube of a roll of paper towels. It's just the right size for a D sized mag to slide in. The idea was to "lash" one end to my leg and attach the other end to the "ring shaped holder".

That worked, kinda. "Drawing" the light out was like drawing a sword, except that it could only come out at one angle - the angle your leg happened to be pointing. Not really workable.

At the fair this year I happened to see the RCMP Musical Ride (google for more info). The lances the officers carried were "holstered" at their stirrups (pointy side straight up). Nothing too surprising about that, I'm sure the technology is centuries old. What was surprising though was that one of the riders had a hard time getting his lance into the cup (minds out of the gutters please). So I paid a little more attention to how these things were inserted into their holders and was surprised to see the riders "twist and lock" the lances.

So now I'm thinking that a good way to holster these longer lights is with a "ring shaped holder" and leg mounted cup all twist lock style. Basically you could unlock and draw at any angle. Holstering could be finicky, but I don't normally need to holster in a hurry.

I freely admit that I haven't thought the idea through and I'm sure there's something terribly wrong with it. Please feel free to rip it apart. And yes I realise that simply converting to 2D or 3D mag would be easier ;p At any rate, the idea would require a suitable "feature" in the tailcap to be useful.

-Stef

What about going with a tri-bore 1.5D Mag and 3X17670 Li-ion cells or a 3D Mag and 3X32600 Li-ion D cells?
It would sure cut down the length and cost on alkaline cells. :)

Last edited:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Ferry: I still have a few design tweaks to make and then I should be ready to bang out an aluminum prototype; Thanks for the support.

maxspeeds: I am not sure when or if I will ever offer these tail caps for the C Mag, but of course that will be influenced by how well the D mag cap does. Thank you for your support as well.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to check my 2D and 3D to see how much extra room is needed to fit multiple 26500 IMR cells and 18650 cells in each light.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking enough extra length to put 3 26500 cells in a 2D and 4 26500 cells in a 3D. I'm guessing it would also be nice to have enough extra length to fit 2 18650 cells in a 2D. Maybe 2 26650 cells in a 2D for long run times. The 26650 and 18650 cells may already fit because they are only slightly longer than a alkaline D cell.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
If you could post back with those dimension that would be some great input for the cap design. :thumbsup:

Remember to make the distinction on whether these cells are protected or not. I figure if the cap will accomodate the extra length of protected cells then unprotected should be no problem.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
All these measurements were with AW 26500 IMR and Duracell D alkaline batteries. The AW 26500 IMR cells that I have measure 50mm. They vary only very slightly between the 7 that I have. The Duracell D batteries measure 60MM.

In a factory Mag, the D alkaline cells sit roughly 25mm below the end of the tube.

In a factory 2D Mag, three AW IMR 26500 cells are 6.7mm above the end of the tube.

In a factory 2D Mag, two 18650 cells should only be 10mm longer than two D alkaline cells.

In a factory 3D Mag, four AW IMR 26500 cells are 3.55mm below the end of the tube.

In a factory 3D Mag, three 18650 cells should be 15mm longer than three D alkaline cells.

I could not find my 4D Mag. If you use the same basic measurements from the above two test fits, five AW IMR 26500 cells will be a total of 10mm longer than four D alkaline cells.

If you make the adjustable spring tail cap to accommodate the three 26500 cells and still work with two D alkalines in a factory 2D, that should cover all the other cell combinations because that is the only one that actually sits above the end of the tube. This will also allow us to use a 26650 cell in place of a D alkaline cell in the different lengths.

The only problem is that cell lengths have slight variations between manufactures.