d25a ti burned out

Silifox

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, first post here..

A few months ago I bought a couple 2014 et d25as on clearance. Upon trying a 14500 (olight branded) in an xml2 model, it died, nothing with primary either. I received a replacement but am scared to try lion in it. I also never tried one in the other I got at the time, a xpg2 (I think.. gave it to a friend).

Anyway my question is has anyone else completely fried one of these the way I did? Did I get a lemon? I searched extensively but couldn't find any cases. I also have a 2015 d25c xpl-hi v3 which I edc and pretty much only use 16340s in.. it's been flawless

Thanks,
Silo

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
Seems like I remember reading that you should not use lithium ions on the 2014 model. Search the threads for D25A.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not surprised, also read a few folks that appear to have fried their boost drivers (i.e., after using Li-ions, ~1.5v cells don't work anymore). Despite ETs claims this takes 14500s, it is clearly not designed for them and lacks a proper buck driver. All lower modes shift up, Max goes direct drive, and the tiny head does not have enough mass to heat sink the high output. I personally only run ~1.5v cells in my D25A, as I like its lower lumen mode spacing and efficiency.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have been running just about every kinda of unprotected 14500 made in my 14's. lol No problems. I have had to take the lights down and clean the threads and switches completely several times. The light either starts acting wacky or not at all. I have a red EFEST IMR in the light right now, in my pocket as I type this.

mjpgolf1

Newly Enlightened
I've got quite a few of Eagletacs d25a models and I've pretty much gotten past the whole Lion thing. When I first got into lights I was like most where you just want your light to be as bright as humanly possible and only using it on the highest setting. I've now learned that you just don't need all that light in most circumstances and the lower modes actually are more handy for most situations. Also the runtimes are so poor on these lights that aren't designed to be run with a lion. If I know I'm going to need a bright light then I take a light that is designed to be run hard and bright. It's just not worth ruining these $70+ titanium lights by trying to squeeze every little bit of power out of them that I can. Just get some good eneloops and run those. If you want a light that runs Lion then look into Zebralight SC52 or the Olight S15R. Both those lights were designed to run a 14500 and the lower modes stay low so it's the best of both worlds.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The 2015 model claims to be li ion compatible but basically I agree with you. It isn't really.

Silifox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I've read just about every threadi could find but couldn't recall one outright dying. But yea it seems like some funniness went on with the 2014s. I guess it's best to keep lion out of there.. I have a fridge full of Japanese Duracell's I got a good deal on anyway

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
I've got quite a few of Eagletacs d25a models and I've pretty much gotten past the whole Lion thing. When I first got into lights I was like most where you just want your light to be as bright as humanly possible and only using it on the highest setting. I've now learned that you just don't need all that light in most circumstances and the lower modes actually are more handy for most situations. Also the runtimes are so poor on these lights that aren't designed to be run with a lion. If I know I'm going to need a bright light then I take a light that is designed to be run hard and bright. It's just not worth ruining these $70+ titanium lights by trying to squeeze every little bit of power out of them that I can. Just get some good eneloops and run those. If you want a light that runs Lion then look into Zebralight SC52 or the Olight S15R. Both those lights were designed to run a 14500 and the lower modes stay low so it's the best of both worlds.

+1

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used my 2014 D25A Ti with 14500, Eneloop & Energizer L91 batts depending on the situation. Each work well for me and provide useful capabilities. This has become my long distance vacation travel light.