Dangerous room pre-entry light balls

goldenlight

Enlightened
Either use a flash bang grenade, a REALLY bright flashlight, or don't enter the room.

Dangerous room pre-entry light balls <------stoooopid idea.

DM51

Flashaholic
There were other threads about this idea, as Copperfox says above. The consensus was that these Entry Detection Balls served only to advertise the user's presence, being therefore counter-productive.

IIRC a review of ED Balls used the words "dim", "idiotic", "bug-eyed", "power-hungry", "nasty" and "useless".

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
A diskwould be an interesting idea, it could slide and would always point up.

They dont give regular officers flash bang grenades.

Advertising ones entrance is a possible problem. I dont think it would be useful for all situations. Maybe someone throwing it in through a side window? Maybe a bad guy will think its something worse and duck?

Problem is that if you are in a dark house going room to room chances are a bad guy knows you are already in the house and he has seen your light illuminating the hallway, and in that case he might also notice the lights stacked up preparing to enter the room he is in.

Entering a dark room looking for suspects is no fun though.

I was taught that a quick peak is ok. Based on that you instruct your team behind you what type of fomation to enter in and could save a bum rush right into a barricade or something.

I think a ball LED light may have other uses though. Area illumination, maybe other types of situations? Dangerous animals?
Some sort of inspection like putting down pipes maybe?