Dark Sucks: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some one who owns a beta for office carry and a alpha for nightstand duty I would really like to see a mid sized for weekend carry. More than the beta but more carry friendly than the alpha.

Hi Amurr,
How about getting an 18350 shorty body? They're sold out, but you might be able to snag one on the secondary market. Seeing that you already have an Alpha, it is a good mid-sized carry option.

15977904257_faa7d607ce_o.jpg

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see two new products from Jason:

A headlamp. Everything I see on the market has issues - lack out output, poor UI, shoddy build quality, not waterproof, lousy beam pattern, uncomfortable, heavy, unbalanced, ugly...

I know Jason could address all of these issues. Keep the light as flat as possible to reduce the torque it places on your neck, two small separate battery compartments one on either side of the head (near the ears) to keep bulk down and not get in the way when the back of your head is on concrete...just some ideas

The second item would be a new EDC. There is a lot of talk about something more powerful than the Beta, but still very EDC sized. The issue with a tradition round flashlight shape is that it will become bulky very quickly as output rises. How about create a more flat shaped light. I'm thinking something like a cell phone but half the size and with a pocket clip. I realize this means the shell can no longer be made on a lathe, and the reflector might become a custom job, and small batteries will need to be arranged side by side (or use a flat cell phone type battery). The shell would probably have to be held together with fasteners. Tiny high strength stainless (A286) torx or 6-4 titanium would be appropriate. This wouldn't be cheap, but it would be awesome.

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah Alpha ICE V3 (aluminum) also needs to come back. Just make it an Alpha Custom (as opposed to time intensive Blue Label) and it shouldn't be more work for Jason.

fyrstormer

Banned
I know there are other brands that produce tungsten tops, but I specifically like the style of the Lambda tops. The others are either oddly shaped or too fancy.

I'd be willing to pre-pay for one if it would help jump-start a production run.

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't need the top to spin perfectly true. If it matches the trueness of my brass/aluminum Lambda that will be just fine. The reason I want tungsten is because it can store so much kinetic energy compared to anything else that isn't radioactive. (I suppose a uranium Lambda would be cool, but I haven't had children yet.) I would've gotten a tungsten one the first time around, but by the time I found out they existed they were already sold-out.

I'd want it with a silicon-carbide contact point. My brass one has a ruby and it looks cool, but for a top as heavy as tungsten I'd want the strongest contact point I could get -- steel wouldn't be good enough, because it would dent if dropped. SiC is unbelievably hard, and much less likely to chip than ruby is.

Of course, all of this assumes Jason is even willing to make another run of tungsten Lambdas. (please say yes)

Last edited:

Chr15t0ph3r

Newly Enlightened
I love my copper Beta QRv2. The specific things I like about it are the hi-cri, the copper construction, and its simple use. I would have preferred to not twist multiple times for the various outputs. Twist on and twist further for brighter modes would be preferable. Even if this meant less modes or single on/off, I prefer it to multiple twists or clicks. I would love to see a AA version of the Beta.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my copper Beta QRv2. The specific things I like about it are the hi-cri, the copper construction, and its simple use. I would have preferred to not twist multiple times for the various outputs. Twist on and twist further for brighter modes would be preferable. Even if this meant less modes or single on/off, I prefer it to multiple twists or clicks. I would love to see a AA version of the Beta.
A single output Beta is a pretty cool idea :thumbsup:

I'll Add mine too

How about having a single output Beta that has a switch that activates when you detach the quick release, and then turns off when you re-attach the quick release?

GL

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
its been a while since anything new has come up. it seems the titanium and carbon fiber releases are too far and few in between. id be up for anything new as long as long as it isnt in such limited quantities. it doesnt have to be handmade by jason himself, just designed by him with the machining farmed out.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
am i correct that the last release of lights has been over a year ago? what happened to all the titanium lights?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
GL would happen to have any info about an upcoming titanium release? seems its only been two drops; and if i recall correctly its been five lights available each time. is there still 90 lights waiting to be built out?

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
So when Jason introduced the Icarus driver, he said that there would be an upgrade service available sometime before the end of 2015... Fast forward, and it's now 2017, and I swear the Alpha driver upgrade service just hasn't ever actually been offered. The blue label lights have been unavailable for quite some time, and the theory behind the Alpha custom being a more accessible light sounded great on paper. I've been really trying to hold my breath on this one. I know Jason used to offer swapping LEDs in an Alpha provided the customer pays for the service and provides the LED. I don't know if he still does. It feels like he may be loosing interest in his lights... If the price has to go up to make it worth his time, I'm all for it. I'm hoping for Icarus drivers, Alpha Customs, and dear lord please- a clicky AA light...