Data in CERN experiment suggests that neutrinos MAY travel faster than light

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main engine on my FTL time machine has a terrible neutrino leak, and the mechanic's backed up until 2754. I'm sorry, CERN—that was me!

beerwax

Enlightened
if the light barrier had been broken we would have all seen the blinding flash and the world would be in ashes.

flashflood

Enlightened
You posted it in the earlier thread, which predicted this one.

I never posted the "+0.99999" comment anywhere, but it showed up under my name. Either a hiccup in the forum software, or someone hijacked my CPF identity, which would be bizarre. I'll let you know if I see any other posts by me that are not, in fact, by me.

Anyone else ever had this experience?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall if it was Hawkings, or perhaps another physicist who got aggravated at the general layman's explanation of Special Relativity and offered a rather blunt rebuttal: "Special Relativity is better known to particle physicists as the that thing people think they understand when they don't because they can't"

As I try to wrap my brain around it, Special Relativity is incorrectly interpreted as being the maximum speed a conceptual billiard ball can be shot out of a cannon and measured past two points. Or, have a rocket motor attached. The speed of light is better explained as the rate at which information or interaction of any sort can propogate between two physical coordinates. From there it becomes a mess of quantum interactions and I leave the room and get popcorn.

Neutrino's being such weird little buggers (chunks of angular momentum ??) it's no wonder the original testers are begging for peer review. Remember that science is a process though and is the pursuit of knowledge, not the pursuit of truth. As Cave Johnson would say; "ok, we're through here folks".

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Neutrinos travel through any medium unaffected. A neutrino will pass right through the earth without any diminution of velocity.

Mostly but they do collide with other particles the odd time, apparently about 1:100000000000000000000.. etc. (Can't enter powers on my current setup.)

iapyx

Enlightened
flashflood said:
I never posted the "+0.99999" comment anywhere, but it showed up under my name. Either a hiccup in the forum software, or someone hijacked my CPF identity, which would be bizarre. I'll let you know if I see any other posts by me that are not, in fact, by me.

Anyone else ever had this experience?

Maybe this is a subject for the 'What is the scariest place you have been?'

CPF, because there are ghostposts in there. Sorry for being off topic here

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they were in error all along and once again Einstein was right. Neutrinos do NOT travel faster than light after all.

Researchers Find Flaw In Faster-Than-Light Clocks

"Researchers have found a flaw in the technical setup of an experiment that startled the science world last year by appearing to show particles traveling faster than light. The problem may have affected measurements that clocked subatomic neutrino particles breaking what Nobel Prize-winning physicist Albert Einstein considered the ultimate speed barrier."

Of course, this isn't the first time Einstein has been proven correct, and it probably won't be the last. (Of course, this is still being debated but that is to be expected.)

Einstein was right again! There is a space-time vortex around Earth, and its shape precisely matches the predictions of Einstein's theory of gravity.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
They said they found a loose fiber optic cable that was causing erratic measurements. For all their advanced instrumentation,
they should'a used some duct tape. ;)

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Be generous with the duct tape, you know; spare the duct tape, spoil the job." - Red Green

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

rg.jpg

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly who I was thinking of also. :laughing:

Great minds and all that!! :)

Red Green is a real hero and role model around here.

"All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business." - Red Green

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used to watch that show every week on our local PBS outlet. They dropped it last year though - guess the re-runs had run their course.

Keep yer stick on the ice...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it has been known for a very long time that neutrinos travel through many, many mediums faster than light does. Steel and lead are typical examples of things that have very little effect on neutrinos while stopping light dead.

Along those lines, in fact, neutrinos rip right through the whole Earth without slowing down, leaving the light on the outside.