DBS v.2. Please read. On going issue. Long

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Here is an update on this issue.

Last night Alan and I exchanged a number of e-emails regarding this on going problem with my DBS v.2. He didn't believe it was a contact problem as some here have suggested. He did send me a diagram of the driver board for the pill and asked that I cut a wire and to try it again. I cut the "Wire" and powered the DBS on and it worked without cutting off. I did notice there was a slight flicker but most of all, the light stayed on but it started to get extremely hot. I advised Alan of this and he agreed to send me a new light. He believes my new AW 18650's are not in good condition so he is also sending me one of his batteries. When I received the new light and battery, I will test it out and if everything works good I will try my AWs in it also to see if I have the same problem I am currently having. If I do experience the same problem with the AWs, I will be contacting Lighthound about it. I will be sending the old light and pills back to Alan because he wants to see what's going on with my light.

Thanks for everyone's input to this. I will keep you posted on the outcome of the new light.

Alan, Thanks for great customer service.

Thanks

Last edited:

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
If i am experiencing the same problem then it seems that i have the worst luck when it come to flashlights. I've had to send my l2ds back and forth several times for different reasons; My surefire, which is a company known for its level of quality, came with scratches inside the bezel which put artifacts in the beam (I've emailed surefire twice now without an answer) and now this. Oh well.

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
I seem to have pin pointed the problem; or, at least, am now able to make it happen pretty much on demand and not sporadically. If I turn the light from off to on while on the high setting and keep the switch pressed before letting it out, it will flicker and then shut off almost every time. Note that I'm not talking about momentary operation. I am pressing the switch down all of the way, holding it for a second or two, and then letting it out and hearing the clicking sound of constant on mode. And then it shuts off automatically.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pressing the switch down all of the way, holding it for a second or two, and then letting it out and hearing the clicking sound of constant on mode. And then it shuts off automatically.

Are all the tailcap parts screwed in tight, and then the tail cap screwed on to the body tightly?

Just bring your problematic DBS lights over to my house so I can fix them. :p

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
Are all the tailcap parts screwed in tight, and then the tail cap screwed on to the body tightly?

Seems to be. It only does this on high so I'm thinking maybe it's a circuitry problem. If it was anything else I'd imagine that it would happen on the other setting too.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened

I know I have checked my many times with all the switch replacements I have tried. Sometimes I wondered if I had everything too tight.
Alan sent my new one out today with one of his batteries and he said he got 92min of runtime on HI. Can't wait to finally get a working DBS :)

Thanks

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
I know I have checked my many times with all the switch replacements I have tried. Sometimes I wondered if I had everything too tight.
Alan sent my new one out today with one of his batteries and he said he got 92min of runtime on HI. Can't wait to finally get a working DBS :)

Thanks
have you sent yours out yet? i'd like to know if you get a repeatable result also by holding the switch down all of the way on high for a second or two and then releasing.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to be. It only does this on high so I'm thinking maybe it's a circuitry problem. If it was anything else I'd imagine that it would happen on the other setting too.

What battery are you using? Brand, etc.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
aw 18650 from 4sevens. i have two. problem occurs with both

What happens if you don't hold the button in like that and you just click it on? I don't normally operate my DBS like that, but I just tried holding the button in after clicking and it works fine.

I was wondering if they weren't AW batteries if they current draw was tripping the protection circuit. Unless your light is some how shorting out and tripping the protection circuit.

Have you tried hooking up the pill to the 18650 directly with a pair of wires? You should do this to see if the pill is causing the problem, or if it's something in the light. If the pill operates properly when directly wired then I'd start investigating the tailcap and it's parts. Do you have a multi-meter?

I had issues similar to what you are describing with one of my CL1H's, and it was down to the way the switch was installed into the tailcap. It has to be in right and tight, with all contacts making good connection. Do you have Deoxit to treat the contacts with?

Last edited:

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
What happens if you don't hold the button in like that and you just click it on? I don't normally operate my DBS like that, but I just tried holding the button in after clicking and it works fine.

I was wondering if they weren't AW batteries if they current draw was tripping the protection circuit. Unless your light is some how shorting out and tripping the protection circuit.

Have you tried hooking up the pill to the 18650 directly with a pair of wires? You should do this to see if the pill is causing the problem, or if it's something in the light. If the pill operates properly when directly wired then I'd start investigating the tailcap and it's parts. Do you have a multi-meter?

I had issues similar to what you are describing with one of my CL1H's, and it was down to the way the switch was installed into the tailcap. It has to be in right and tight, with all contacts making good connection. Do you have Deoxit to treat the contacts with?
If i turn it on regularly then it only shuts itself off sporadically. Mine works fine while holing the button down also; what I'm saying is that after holding the button down and releasing (the light should stay on) it turns off. While holding the button down I get the flicker.

I haven't tried taking the body out of the equation. Yes, I do have a multimeter. I'll see about testing it asap

jrmy0641

Newly Enlightened
Update: Got a lot worse today. I couldn't power it up on high at all without having it shut itself down. Switched between batteries, etc. Finally decided to clean the threads and reapply lube. Haven't had the problem again yet. We'll see tomorrow, though as it will get a workout while I'm at work. Fingers crossed; do NOT want to have to ship this thing back to HK.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Update: Got a lot worse today. I couldn't power it up on high at all without having it shut itself down. Switched between batteries, etc. Finally decided to clean the threads and reapply lube. Haven't had the problem again yet. We'll see tomorrow, though as it will get a workout while I'm at work. Fingers crossed; do NOT want to have to ship this thing back to HK.

jrmy0641,

Please keep us updated on this.

Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope it keeps working for you. What kind of lube are you using? Also Deoxit is great for cleaning all the contact points.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Update:

Today I received my replacement DBS v.2 along with one on Alan's batteries. The light took 1 week to arrive. The new light is working great so far (it been about 1 hour so far). Anyway I took Alan's battery and put it in my original DBS and right off, the flickering was present. I put my AW 18650 into the new light and it worked perfect. I then took the tailcap from my old light and put it on the new light and it to is working perfect. So anyway, I now have a normal working DBS .

I also want to thank Alan for working with me on this issue for almost 3 months. A+ service.

Thanks