Dead flashlight, reusable?

No light in space

Newly Enlightened
It was sealed alright. I used a hot air gun, but I should have let it get warmer than I did, severe scratching occurred. However, the light engine seems to be sealed to and I feel this is as far as I want to go. You say I shouldn't throw it away, where is a good forum to sell the lot? As far as I can see, here on CPF I can only sell custom lights.

sZtDWx6S.jpg

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you get a pic of the actual LED and driver part for us? Does the LED look burnt out or damaged in any way? If you gently shake the driver do you hear any loose wires or connections rattling around? You can sell it in the marketplace as a "for parts/not working" and someone might be able to fix it up.

lunas

Enlightened
Fixing them is not all that hard if what you have pictured is what you ended up with I can see where I would start... the green thing in the brass pill with the spring on it is the driver it is crimped or soldered in from the driver 2 wires go up through the pill and to the led which is heat pasted in place or heat transfer epoxied in place first thing i would do is hook power to the pill directly then see if that still causes the symptoms if no then led and driver is good the issue is elsewhere in the body of the light i would use a pick to clean off any thread lock then use a de ox it on the whole and test the switch.

From the symptoms i would venture the issue is with the driver a component sounds like it came loose you will need a heat gun and a small metal probe pry it out if you are gentle enough you can salvage it and it might just need some soldering to fix it otherwise you will de-solder the driver and put a new one on. This is a good time to upgrade the led too.

I really like building my own lights more than having ready made lights... This is a good opportunity for you to get practice with that.

lunas

Enlightened
The outer ring on the driver is the negative lead and the spring in the center is positive the outer ring needs to connect to the brass pill then the brass pill uses the aluminum body of the flashlight to connect to the switch then the switch uses a spring to connect to the negative of the battery. Aluminum oxide is non conductive so if the switch or the pill don't make contact with raw aluminum you get flickering and non function.