DEFT-X OMG Strikes Back!!!

TweakMDS

Enlightened
This looks so insanely cool I really pity myself for not having any real use for it. Wishlisting it for the sheer lux-envy-inducing power of anyone who uses this around people with other throwers.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
This might be the first LED to light up low-mid level clouds, something I've never seen with an LED light. Fog and mist is one thing but hitting a cloud in an otherwise clear atmosphere would be nothing short of spectacular.

Short arc is one thing, but how many of the HID boat anchors are even in this class? Wasn't the POB only 800k lux?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Sometimes I think I should just put you on autopay and be done with it....sheeesh.

[h=1]OMG Lumens[/h] [h=2]Invoice# 0000001323[/h] Invoice Date: 01/09/2013 11:43:20

:D

For perspective, the TN31mb you have with ~ 405k cd vs the new DEFT's beam, as far as use - I've already ordered the mb. Its a reflector based beam, it sounds like the DEFT is aspheric. I use the lights for disaster response work, etc, and a combination of spot size at distance as well as range is vital.

Just to give me an idea of the difference, what would the sizes of the two light's spots be at say 300 meters, 600 meters, 1,000 meters? What would the lux be at those ranges and spot sizes?

Obviously you're just estimating as the exact specs will vary...but the above would give a good idea at least of what these lights can do....and, tell me if I can justify BOTH (Of COURSE I want both).

- Thanks!

Last edited:

Ragnar66

Enlightened
[h=1]OMG Lumens[/h]
[h=2]INVOICE# 0000001321[/h]Invoice Date: 01/09/2013 11:16:52

Totally insane............

TINF

Newly Enlightened
Just had to grab one of these as well.....
Invoice ID: 0000001314
Keep up your amacing work,Michael!

makapuu

Enlightened
This is what I've been waiting for.
I've held back from purchasing various throwers like the Olight, Lambda's, even Michael's own TN31mb.
This is the light that put him on the map, and I just had a feeling it would be making a return one day.
My original Deft still astounds, but this is off the hook.
I ordered the new one the moment I got the notification.
Congrats Mike on the new milestone.

hahoo

Enlightened
i know your busy 24-7, but it would be nice to see a few shots side by side of the deft vs the tn31mb...

i was going to get the 31mb here in a few weeks, but have second thoughts now this has come out...

looks like the beam will be even less than 1 degree ?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For perspective, the TN31mb you have with ~ 405k cd vs the new DEFT's beam, as far as use - I've already ordered the mb. Its a reflector based beam, it sounds like the DEFT is aspheric. I use the lights for disaster response work, etc, and a combination of spot size at distance as well as range is vital.

Just to give me an idea of the difference, what would the sizes of the two light's spots be at say 300 meters, 600 meters, 1,000 meters? What would the lux be at those ranges and spot sizes?

Obviously you're just estimating as the exact specs will vary...but the above would give a good idea at least of what these lights can do....and, tell me if I can justify BOTH (Of COURSE I want both).

- Thanks!

Aaaaawwwe man. Don't make me do math. The beam of the DEFT-X has a divergence of 1.4 degrees which is almost exactly the same as the main spot area of the TN31mb. The TN31mb of course also has the benefit of a corona area which helps to broaden the beam in the mid-field.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Aaaaawwwe man. Don't make me do math. The beam of the DEFT-X has a divergence of 1.4 degrees which is almost exactly the same as the main spot area of the TN31mb. The TN31mb of course also has the benefit of a corona area which helps to broaden the beam in the mid-field.

So I am understanding you, the beam of the 405k and the beam of the 900k lights will essentially have the entire 900k beam looking like just the hot spot of the 405k's beam....so that for the first few hundred meters, the corona of the 40k's beam would add to what could be seen, but would drop off so that by the time the hot spot of the 405k hit its limits (~ 0.25 Lux at 1,272 meters), the 900k beam's hot spot would be the same size...but brighter, and not hit its 0.25 Lux until ~ 1,900 meters....~ 625 meter further away...

..at which point it would have expanded at a rate of 1.4º for its final size.

Hmmm.

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
DANG IT!!! Why didn't I pick a name like ThrowerHater? Or LumenPhobic? I'm not even into double digit posts yet, and I've ordered this thing (Invoice# 0000001327) after ordering the TN31mb less than two weeks ago! Maybe I'll change it from ThrowerLover to MoneyThrower.

In fact, after reading the description of the Waiven RLT, or Recycling Light Technology - "The light that would hit the sidewalls of the flashlight and die is instead reflected back at the LED until it exits the aperture and passes through the lens where it is then collimated into the beam. The net effect is a more intense beam than would otherwise be possible." - I feel like I have one of those RLTs in my wallet, only the L stands for Loot: "The (loot) that would hit the sidewalls of the (wallet) and die is instead reflected back at the (credit card) until it exits the (PayPal portal) and passes through the (bank account) where it is then collimated into the (massive budget-killing flashlight expense). The net effect is a more intense (accumulation of debt) than would otherwise be possible."

Must . . . smash . . . keyboard.

scout24

Flashaholic
There's still a chance you can escape... Run now! :D It's too late for the rest of us. lovecpf Hey, look at it this way: you'll be able to CLEARLY see the botom of the hole you're digging...

Nicolas

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to have one of these, but I already ordered the TN31mb (which I am now breathlessly awaiting), so I'm already tapped out.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
DANG IT!!! Why didn't I pick a name like ThrowerHater? Or LumenPhobic? I'm not even into double digit posts yet, and I've ordered this thing (Invoice# 0000001327) after ordering the TN31mb less than two weeks ago! Maybe I'll change it from ThrowerLover to MoneyThrower.

In fact, after reading the description of the Waiven RLT, or Recycling Light Technology - "The light that would hit the sidewalls of the flashlight and die is instead reflected back at the LED until it exits the aperture and passes through the lens where it is then collimated into the beam. The net effect is a more intense beam than would otherwise be possible." - I feel like I have one of those RLTs in my wallet, only the L stands for Loot: "The (loot) that would hit the sidewalls of the (wallet) and die is instead reflected back at the (credit card) until it exits the (PayPal portal) and passes through the (bank account) where it is then collimated into the (massive budget-killing flashlight expense). The net effect is a more intense (accumulation of debt) than would otherwise be possible."

Must . . . smash . . . keyboard.

Just re-read your own sig line.

Its all there.

PLUS:

There is a Yin and a Yang in the universe....a balance of the forces of good and evil. Goodness is represented by light, and money is the root of all evil.

You must therefore strive to have as little money, and as much light as possible to be a force for Good.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to not send Saabluster their money.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Lordy!!!!!! Beautiful work! Lux, sent you an e-mail but see you were on top of this one already!

Karl

Parker VH

Enlightened
Had to do it. Order #1328. Is there anything you CAN'T do with an LED light saabluster?:eek: Looks like Christmas is coming around again for me. WOO HOOOO!