Dehydration thread

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
To our misfortune, we're not like tardigrades and can't shrink into tuns* when it gets too hot, too cold, too radioactive, too high-pressure, too low-pressure, or when it gets dry. But ey, we're more able than them to survive the things in our environment that can actually flatline us!

*: yes, that's what it's called when they go into stasis

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Plus we have a thumb. They don't.

Cool, dry weather south of the mason/dixon makes it easy to forget to hydrate. Muscle cramps are a great reminder.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
299B407B-461E-466C-A2BA-0F7B85DBBDC1.jpeg

Post grass cut, icey cold flavor

3BE2E940-BAF9-47AB-BFC4-DC5CA2212A3C.jpeg

A quart of room temp water before.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To change gears briefly Jean-Luc, what side "pencil lead" is in that purple pencil? Over here black is 0.5mm and yellowish orange is 0.7mm for Pentel brand. I use a p205 with HB inserts. I used koh-i-Noor rapidomatic pencils for years but with the age of the computer aided drafting they became scarce in my area.

Humidity is going to be dropping like a lead balloon in my area soon as Jack Frost returns from vacationing at the north pole. It's probably when most walk around dehydrated because you don't feel thirsty like in summer. Sweat/drink, sweat/drink is the norm in summer but in winter you get drink/pee, drink/pee so many tend to avoid that hassle, including me. In America Jean-Luc a thermos typically means coffee inside. And that's too bad for some because coffee is one reason we stay so dehydrated.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
That's a local brand, Jocar Office. They don't strictly color-code their pencils based on lead sizes like Pentel does, rather they have a variety of colors per lead size (white, silver, black and light pink for 0.5mm, and bronze, purple, hot pink and blue for 0.7, as far as I've seen them). I tend to prefer 0.5 but I was in a slight hurry and this one in 0.7 was the first one I found, so cowabunga it was.

I'm an absolute curmudgeon about handwriting, cursive and doing arithmetic/algebra calculations by hand, so I insist on pencil and paper whenever they're feasible such as personal notes. I learned technical drafting at school and consider it a great ancillary skill to have, but at the same time I firmly believe in computerized drafting due to how convenient it is.

In the tropics where temperatures fluctuate mostly between 19 and 32 Celsius day and night, cold drinks tend to be in high demand, so the contents of thermos can go either way. Typically small ones are used for hot stuff like coffee or tea, and gallon-sized behemoths are for icy cold water or juice, but for these one-liter ones, you'll only know if you ask the owner. I'm not a super fan of tea unless it's cold out, only drink coffee in the morning, and sweat a disproportionate amount at the slightest physical exertion (yes, even when it's sort of chilly, so when I'm exercising or performing physical labour I go full ham), so my thermos is reserved for good old icy water.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where I work a lot of stuff gets printed and tossed in the trash. I keep a stack of scrap paper that would have been in the trash can. Mostly 8x11 sheets are cut in half, some in quarter size. Some people find it useful for jotting stuff down. I keep notepads too. But those are for meeting minutes, so while 'the kids' are typing their notes I'm writing mine down. Strangley enough there are times they ask for my hand written notes so I photo to pdf them and send it via email. I carry a pen and pencil to work every day. A celphone makes a decent straight edge, coins for curves and stuff like that.

I understand computer drafting enough to know how it's done and the virtues it provides, but I draw things often, photo to pdf and email it. It's just faster that way. I can draw it faster than firing up a computer, opening up a software and performing the drawing.

BTT: I recently noticed when I eat grapes or other waterery food in the evening I end up standing over a toilet several times during the night. Kinda cool to use my firefly light then but I'd rather be sleeping. So now I eat rasins for the nutrients without all of the water and eat watery stuff during the day. Instead of cookies or cake for desert it's now a bananna or diet yogurt.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
In my case, I watched my older brother work with AutoCAD (land survey work) through my late childhood and almost all my teen years, even before I learned of hand-drafting (which in my school we got to know in our equivalent of 7th through 11th grade). Notes, though? All by hand, no exceptions – even because when I tried to make exceptions with Google Docs notes, I'd forgotten I'd typed said notes and that caused me some setbacks.

Over here at work there was a now-defunct book restoration sector, which involved printing replacement pages. That also left a lot of scrap paper, which they used to make little blocks with a glued side, in the style of legal pads (only with no ruling). Very useful stuff, we're still using them to this day.

Typically I don't eat anything between dinner and bedtime, and I make sure to take a leak before bed or I just can't fall asleep. There was a time when I got up at like 2 or 3 AM to use the loo, but I couldn't pin it on any routine factor.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, we all get up at least once throughout the night to empty our bladders. I believe DM say that is perfectly normal.
First thing I do in morning before food is drink a cup of water.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Hey, we all get up at least once throughout the night to empty our bladders. I believe DM say that is perfectly normal.
First thing I do in morning before food is drink a cup of water.
My first action after shutting down the alarm is taking a capful from that thermos in my previous photo (it's normally my bedside bottle). It's way better than getting up thirsty.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I start out with 6-8oz of water from a bedside cup to wash down the big pharma chemicals that regulate certain bodily functions that go awry as the mileage racks up, like thyroid, blood pressure and the other added chemicals to counter-act the negative affects of those. :eek:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few months have passed and the daily torture of muscle cramps had subsided to occasional. All kinds of things were adjusted to see if there was a correlation involved. It seems in my case the water I was drinking played a role.

See, at my work the contractor keeps cases and cases of "purified" water in 1/2 litre bottles. I'd consume a few of those each day in order to achieve at least 2 literes intake. Yet it seemed to pass straight through. I switched to all spring water and after a few days that stopped. I had heard that often bulk, inexpensive bottled water was simply tap water. Now I cannot say for certain if the water I was consuming at work was simply that. But can say for certain that consuming the water I bring from home has resulted in a lot less trips to the restroom. Maybe "purified" water lacks something spring water doesn't? Hard to say. But I can say the side stitches and leg cramps are pretty much a thing of the past since making the switch.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Recently on one of the news talk shows, a doctor presented a new study on hydration. During the presentation, she said that the 6-8 glasses of water can vary greatly depending upon the individual's needs, due to occupation, environment, and level of physical activity. Also there may be water in the foods, and/or other liquids the individual consumes.

The key take-away is to look at your pee. It should be a pale straw color. If it is darker, you're likely dehydrated.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently on one of the news talk shows, a doctor presented a new study on hydration. During the presentation, she said that the 6-8 glasses of water can vary greatly depending upon the individual's needs, due to occupation, environment, and level of physical activity. Also there may be water in the foods, and/or other liquids the individual consumes.

The key take-away is to look at your pee. It should be a pale straw color. If it is darker, you're likely dehydrated.
Not necessarily dehydrated, bright yellow urine can also show B vits going down the sewer pipe

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are also medical conditions/medications that can affect urine color or lack thereof. I submit that vitamin B coloration in urine is different than the dehydration coloration. It´s that blood in the urine color where things get interesting, right?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are also medical conditions/medications that can affect urine color or lack thereof. I submit that vitamin B coloration in urine is different than the dehydration coloration. It´s that blood in the urine color where things get interesting, right?
Correct Kitro, B vits appear dayglow yellow.. Dehydration mellow yellow. Blood in urine, brownish yellow. Which can be prostate issues or worse. Time to seek a doctor.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I discovered that the color temperature of the bathroom's light source can have a huge impact on urine color. Warm white = normal urine color, >5000k = screaming fluorescent yellow-green urine.