Diesel Question

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Allrighty then! Looking at those results I will definately use TCW-3 2 stroke oil.

I am going to use a cheat sheet to get at least 200:1 ratio, but will shade a bit higher. And instead of 4 oz I think 8 of Power Service.

I got a big mixing funnel to make my cocktail in.

BVH

Flashaholic
Just trying to take in as much technical info as I can before my first DMax arrives this or next week. That site has lots of great info on all types of subjects about DMax's.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
THANK YOU BVH!!!!!!!!! That is precisely the kind of thing I was looking for!

I just dumped all my remaining 2 stroke oil into my fuel tank; that's the last of it I'll buy for diesel consumption! I'll be buying a couple more fuel cans that I can fill with B100 and leave on the truck as my new lubricity additive. I never get below 1/4 tank or so, so I could refill with petrodiesel and still have enough lubricity. But I have to run B10 during the winter and getting down to 1/4 tank of B10 and then refilling with straight petrodiesel could get me close to the line. Better safe than sorry, and biodiesel smells so much better when burning than even ULSD.

I used to run a diesel : two cycle oil mix ratio of ~60 : 1(~30 gallons diesel :1/2 gallon oil), which is very close to the 50:1 many small engine manufacturers recommend as a gas : oil ratio. That was my reasoning, if a mix ratio that rich will protect bearings and piston rings and cylinders running at high temperatures and 13,000+ rpms, it should protect my injection pump too(yes, I realize tolerances much are finer in an IP). Half a gallon is just easier to measure.

:buddies:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the results of an independently run, blind test of diesel additives by a certified lab relative to anti-wear properties of a bunch of diesel fuel additives. Excellent reading! Helps take the emotion out of this subject.

ttp://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

Sweet, so biodiesel is showing yet another reason why it should be the fuel of choice. I so need to to get the money to trade in my car for the TDI version.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Until Biodiesel hits the maainstreaam...

I filled with 17.160 gallons of USLD from Exxon. At about 1/4 of filling I put in 22 ounces of 2 stroke and 8 ounces of Power Service.

I just pulled the tank trailer (350 gallon two axle 5,400 full 2,000 empty) for 60 miles full and about that much empty. I had several stop lights.

My overhead readout (which I will expound upon shortly) started at 21.3 and ended at 21.0

The overhead has NOTHING to do with actual mpg, often being 2-3 mpg off of reality.

However it will go down like a sinking ship if I drive hard or stop a lot. And stay pretty steady if things are going ok. The fact that it dropped so little is important.

Additionally, the engine definately runs quieter. At the delivery I had to speak to an intercom and the engine didn't interfer at all.

Also with no trailer the truck feels better.

Since we have no way of knowing how dry the fuel we get is, and since TCW-3 finished 5th and lowered the number to 474, and is relatively cheap...

TCW-3 for me!