Digilight meltdown

TaeKwonDoDo

Newly Enlightened
Well, I learned something today. Check the construction of your flashlight before you upgrade it. I recently purchased some 3.6volt rechargables and some 7.2 volt lamps to upgrade my Digilight 1000XC Xenon flashlight. My wife was complaining that it was hot. I shrugged it off. Then later she said it wasn't working at all. One look said it all. The diffuser is plastic and it had fused with the bulb to become one plastic blob. The lens was also melted.

I'd like to fix/upgrade it, but I don't want to have to spend alot. And with Digilight out of business, what are my options? I'm open to both incandescent or LED. I have a CREE that I'm really happy with.

Thanks!

wrathothebunny

Newly Enlightened
I know this sounds snobbish, but consider the phrase "penny wise and pound foolish." You can buy cheap and find yourself in a replacement/upgrade cycle that will in the long run end up costing you more, or you can buy quality and buy only once. I bought SureFire and couldn't be happier, though I know there are other options. I would swear off anything with cheap plastic components if I were you, and go for something better.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

TaeKwonDoDo

Newly Enlightened
On the other hand, if you just need a good cheap light, the Brinkmann Maxfire has a glass lens and has been known to take a modest LED drop in if you get tired of the xenon bulb. All for $16.99 at the impossible to find Target stores.
Has the best rubber grips too.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

Oh, and if you want to play with your Digilight try looking through this stuff:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917
Thanks! I found a full 9volt xenon lamp assembly and some glass lenses for cheap at DealExtreme. Somehow I missed those the first time I looked. Hopefully it all fits properly.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's some good flashlights in that range. I'm thinking the LumaPower LM303 90+ lumens 1 x CR123A with Seoul SSC P4 LED, and the Fenix P1-CE. Both findable under $40. Both 90 lumens for about an hour and a half. Both small, simple designs.

For incan, I like the Brinkmann. If it dies, buy another at $17. Now you've got an almost full set of spare parts for it too. Or pick up a surefire G2.