Ryobi 18v / MR16 meltdown lol

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Alright...I've got (had) two Ryobi 18v Lithium lights. I thought..."Hey man! MR16 would be a good mod, right?"

Wrong!

I picked up a 12v 50w mr16 from WallyWorld. Took the old guts out of the lamp head, and installed the new bulb. I permanently soldered the +/- to the bulb leads.

It was flippin beautiful! Very bright, floody, tons of light!! Excellent. I took it outside to do a runtime test in 30 degree's on my sidewalk. I left it for 10min and the thing was still bright as crap!

I noticed it was smoking though.:oops:

Sure, it's plastic. It got so hot that the lamp head was melting. The solder melted. The whole dadgum thing melted...lol.

I think I'm gonna fashion some sort of copper or aluminum head for it and attach it to the Ryobi handle so I still have that nice trigger and battery interface.

Lesson learned.:thumbsup:

Phase two will commence soon.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was that a hot beam or a cool beam MR-16? I definitely wouldn't run a cool beam in a plastic light, but didn't know if a hot beam would be a problem or not...

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
Was that a hot beam or a cool beam MR-16? I definitely wouldn't run a cool beam in a plastic light, but didn't know if a hot beam would be a problem or not...

Felt pretty dang hot to me!!:crackup: