Digital MultiMeter for $5....

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I got a Digital MultiMeter for $5....

It has DC current/Amps range of 10A -
essential for measuring current draw for Luxeon based and high current drawing flashlights.

The shipping was very reasonable -
via U.S. Postal Service (First-Class Mail (2 - 5 Days)) = $2.00
and the service I got for such an inexpensive item was really outstanding -

Digital MultiMeter for $4.95 from Case-Mod.com

buy 2 or more then they're $4.46 each.....

DMM.jpg

Features:

3 1/2 digits LCD with a max. reading of 1999
Low battery indicator
Tests DCV, ACV, DCA, and Resistance
Tests transistor and diode
Overload protection
Test leads, 9V battery are included
Technical Specifications:

DC Voltage Range: 200mV - 1000V (+/- 0.5%+2)
AC Voltage Range: 200V - 750V (+/- 1.2%+10)
DC Current Range: 200uA - 10A (+/- 1.0%+2)
Resistance Range: 200 - 2M Ohm (+/- 1.0%+2)
Diode Test : 0.3 mA test current, 3V open circuit voltage
Dimensions: 126mm(L) x 70mm(W) x 24mm(H)
Includes: Test Leads, 9V Battery, English Manual

Warning - this lacks any AC current ability -
but at $5 I could not resist.

I've had this for just over a week now and it seems fine -
the spec's look good for its accuracy -
and it certainly seems much more reliable, stable, and confident than my old beat up Russian analog multimeter.

Seems like a pretty good bargain to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My harbor freigh DMM has a neat *off* switch which allows you to turn it off any any dial position. Nice for when you are using it as a lab meter so to speak. It also has a rudimentary battery tester to test 1.5 and 9v cells. I paid $2.99 plus tax on sale each and got a pair of them. I would like to have a fluke someday but my best dmm is a reasonably made craftsman autoranging DMM #82029.

Thanks for the input on the Harbor Freight DMM -
I didn't realize that DMMs could be this cheap.

The higher DC current range was real important to me -
I think I need a minimum of 3Amps -
by the looks of it that Harbor Freight may only have 200mA max?
but the $2.99 sale price is incredible!

It has a 10amp seperate scale with a shunt in it. I have stuck a 1500mah AA battery across the shunt (flashamps test) and measured in excess of 45 amps for a very very brief moment using the 10amp scale. I don't recommend doing that though.
They have put that meter on sale several times a year for that price so if you can wait I am guessing in a month you may be able to get one that cheap. Buy 2-3 of them and scatter them around places. I am considering throwing away most of my analog meters as I only need perhaps 1 or 2 of them now as rarely as I use them.

I have seen many DMMs that look nearly identical to these. I am guessing they are all clones of each other with slight updates to the circuitry for added functions. It is hard to figure out how they can even make any profit on these things especially at your $1.50. You cannot buy the parts for one of these for even around $10 I bet.

I got mine at Sears for less than $10 ($20+ model on Thanksgiving sale). So far it does everything I need it to.

I went to harbor freight yesterday and they had hundreds of the DMMs for $2.99 on sale. I am not sure how long the sale lasts so if you want one get it now or wait till next time they put them on sale.

I'm kind of bumping this thread after years mainly because anyone even vaguely interested in flashlight electronics or just batteries - probably should have a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) -
there is almost no excuse not to have one - especially at the current price at a Harbor Freight
(as others have already mentioned in this thread) -

DMM for $2.99! (link) at Harbor Freight.

harborfreightdmm90899mn6.gif

I'm kind of bumping this thread after years mainly because anyone even vaguely interested in flashlight electronics or just batteries - probably should have a DMM (Digital MultiMeter)

It's now a few cents lower DMM for $2.88!!

I am bumping this thread more as a FYI -

For a long time I had measured what seemed to be much lower "Flash Amps" on batteries than others reported. I just put it down to the cheapo DMM.

Until Mr Happy pointed out to me that it could be the leads that have high resistance in Post #19 of the thread - Soshine SC-C3 Intelligent Rapid Charger

Fortunately I had another set of leads that I had made up years ago - I tried those cleaning the plugs - and lo-and-behold - like a Eureaka moment - my flash amps reading started to resemble those that others reported.

Since then I had cleaned all the plugs/contacts with the supplied leads - but they still persistently show lower flash amps than my proper made up leads -

So at least the leads that came with my DMM have high resistance - this although is not right - does not affect other readings on the DMM - but does affect significantly flash amps and possibly the low resistance/ohms readings.

So just beware of the supplied leads - they may have high resistance.