DirecTV vs. Dish Network

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I had Direct many years ago and in the first year they dropped content I had paid for. I cancelled their a**s. They were class-actioned, and settled. After a couple years with a "mountaintop, microwave cable" provider, (local cable co. totally sucked!) I switched to Dish when I found the rooftop hardware would be compatible. (After a re-aim, of course.)

Dish was fine for a few years except for the occasional set top box crash. I was using a Panasonic DVR to time shift things, and between the two of them, one crash too many occurred. We couldn't fix it over the phone, and I called billing to cancel the service. Talk about persistent, the rep kept escalating offers to fix it up to the level of having a tech straighten out the system!! That is customer service!!

However, I have been payTV-free since.:D

Larry

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the increase and quality of off-air digital broadcasts, going off "pay" wouldn't be too bad.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
SOMEBODY dropped the ball...

With no more warning than a call 10 minutes before he showed up, the Dish guy was here installing.

So far I have a lot to learn about Dish, but at least all my favorite channels are there.

Gotta get my butt into bed!

tomwoh

Newly Enlightened
I had direcTV for 7 years and when my contract was up this last time I thought I would try Dish , very disappointed in the equipment compared to direcTV's. After numerous calls I was able to get my most of my issues resolved. However the dvr still sucks, if I really want to be sure I'm going to get a show recorded and be able to view it, I have to record the non HD channel, it almost always has trouble recording HD. When my contract with Dish is up I'm back to DirecTV

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had direcTV for 7 years and when my contract was up this last time I thought I would try Dish , very disappointed in the equipment compared to direcTV's. After numerous calls I was able to get my most of my issues resolved. However the dvr still sucks, if I really want to be sure I'm going to get a show recorded and be able to view it, I have to record the non HD channel, it almost always has trouble recording HD. When my contract with Dish is up I'm back to DirecTV

1. This is a funny forum to join to talk about TV service.

2. What model DVR? Their ViP722 is very good IMO.

tomwoh

Newly Enlightened
Yes it's the VIP722 - Maybe I have a lemon but I've not been impressed, I can get it to reboot by doing a large number of deletes of recorded programs. It hangs about once every other week and I have to unplug it to get it back. I'm happy with the feature set, the menu system is good and easy to navigate and the amount of recording time is can store has been fine.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it's the VIP722 - Maybe I have a lemon but I've not been impressed, I can get it to reboot by doing a large number of deletes of recorded programs. It hangs about once every other week and I have to unplug it to get it back. I'm happy with the feature set, the menu system is good and easy to navigate and the amount of recording time is can store has been fine.

Sounds like you do have a lemon. I have had zero problems in a year.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
So far....

I think since we had DirecTV for so long it sure was easy to make it sing and dance!

Dish is taking some time to get used to, which I suppose is just normal.

Searching for what I WANT to record was easier in DTV and may never be easy with dish.... we'll just have to see.

It'll be 2 years before there is a chance to change again, at least without heavy penalties....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Revisiting this old thread.

Now that we've had Dish for several months I want my Directv back!

Two in issues. With DTV we could record two programs and watch a third. With Dish you gotta watch one or the other and the other night NCIS got ignored so "Idol" cou;d br recorded and Astros watched.

And dish doesn't have (at least at this dollar level) the extra sports channels that got us Astros. A search turned up no hits for Astros for the next several days and they are in St Louis starting tonight.

We're stuck with it for now, but I would NOT recommend a change from DirecTv to Dish network based on my experiences.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of hooking up to Direct lately. I like the idea of recording 2 shows and watching a third show.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I routinely have two recording and watch a third on my Dishnet HDDVR I think it is the 722.. Keep in mind though if you are recording an over the air you only have one tuner for over the air.