Disappointment: PAK-LITE (aka 9V Light) runs longer on high using Alkalines vs Lith's

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn:

I'm this close to place my order for pak-lites. I did have some reservations about putting a lithium 9V in those, but they do state runtimes 2-3 times longer with an Ultralife lithium compared to a duracell alkaline. I don't really plan on using lithium batteries in it, but who knows, I might want to hide one in a BOB at some point...

-Are these 2 pak-lites the same model? Some are brighter.
-Perhaps you had a bad lithium battery?
-It would be interesting if you could re-do the test but switch the battery types to the other pak-lite
-Has anyone else done this test?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 of them. Two ordered from Lighthound. Two from Amazon.

There are variances in output for each + or - a lumen. Each one has a slightly different bluish tint shift. Maybe a ~2 lumen difference between the lowest performing and highest performing pak-light.

Other than that, they are basically the same. I doubt it's a bad Energizer Lith. I've seen these results before with 1 battery. That's why I'm testing again (see 1st few lines in 1st post). I'm even seeing low end run time weirdness with lithiums testing AA's vs a lithium 3400mAh 18650 and a 70 lumen Malkoff dropin :sick2:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There isn't anything anomalous about the test - in a low drain application, the lithium will regulate itself nicely and then drop sharply in output to zero, while the alkaline will drop sharply at the start and then settle at a low output for longer than the lithium's total runtime.

The general rule for long term storage with alkalines is to keep it in the packaging; store your Pak-lite with an unopened 2-pack, freshness and redundancy.

Latest posts