Discontinued flashlight that you love

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you nightshade.

For some reason I seem to have an emotional attachment to these ARC lights like no other.

(I hope you'll be watching the new series of Red Dwarf when it comes on DAVE later this year)

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY, a few years ago, I dream't I had an OD coloured Longbow. LOL! (which reminds me that last night, I dream't I was on a jungle tour with friends and one of them had a 3D maglite with a soft drink bottle attached to it so it would float! Hahahaah!!!

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • 5 and 6 C cell Maglites
  • Various body colors of Maglites especially the C cells
  • Dorcy 1XAAA 5mm twisty
  • Dorcy 4XAA Boss incan
  • CMG Infinity Ultra white/red/green
  • INOVA X5 white/red/blue/green (single mode 1st generation tactical switch)
  • INOVA X1 1st generation optic white/blue/green
  • INOVA X1 UV
  • Photon ReX
  • SF 9P incan
  • SF G3 incan
  • Malkoff MD2 1st generation (The new version is probably better overall but I do like the original design)
  • Fenix LDO1 in stainless steel
  • Quark NW with XP-E
  • Nitecore EX10 GD
  • Nitecore EZ CR2 NW

There are really a lot of older incan styles I miss, especially the 2C and lantern styles.With inexpensive PR base LED bulbs those old designs make nice utility lights that are inexpensive and user serviceable without the need of a soldering iron.I know there are a few designs I was interested in like the A2 Aviator incan/LED that would probably have made my list as well if I had ever handled them.

Last edited:

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen many ARCS come up recently on BST, I hope this doesn't mean they are all broken or forgotten in a drawer somewhere...

They aren't forgotten or abandoned, I love these lights. I have several ARC flashlights; red, green, blue, RGB AAA's and a couple of LS models. I've sold several, no longer have an ARC AA and got rid of one of my Arc 4+ (still have one that I keep) and I even got rid of my ARC 6. Yes, I regret selling off my ARC6 and wish I still had it. I've bought and sold battery tubes; AA, AAA, 123, skinny and fat. I would love to have some of the color LED LS's like you have, regrettably don't have any of those and I can't remember any ever coming up for sale since my introduction to CPF. If they were to ever make it to the marketplace I'd make them mine. I still carry an ARC LSH to this day. It's not the fanciest light nor is it the brightest light, but they work, they just work. I've seen people with their fancy titanium lights that are beautiful to look at and I've seen people with their multi-function unbelievable lumen high-end flashlights that outshine my old ARC LS flashlights by leaps an bounds. But I love the simplicity, the elegance, the ease of use of these old lights. They just work and mine has been working for years and hopefully will work for years to come. I was late to the party and I don't have a complete collection. I do though have one that I didn't see in your photo... a blue ARC LS. When I scored this I swore I was done with collecting. This was it, I'm through. But we know that's a lie. Your collection is enviable and I'm jealous.

DSC00963.jpg

If you don't own one of these ARC LS lights, you have to get one - you won't be disappointed in it's quality, simplicity and it's ability to provide just the right amount of light when needed.

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightwave 4000 for me. Sure it's big,bulky,and not very bright for its size,but you can't argue with over a month plus between battery changes.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Ohhh, I have a few:

Fenix LD01SS
Zebralight H501
Fenix LD40
4Sevens RGB
Fenix TK20

The 4Sevens RGB really filled a niche that noone/nothing else has filled (AFAIK)
All the rest are a little more dated and sort of have replacements, but theres something wrong with all of the replacements (ie, the new Zebralights no longer have that pure clean flood, replacement for the LD40 is no longer a neutral/warm LED)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also miss all of the old Arc LS lights. I've still got my Arc 4+ that i got from Carpe Diem way back in the day.

I miss Fivemega's Mag mods.

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
90% of my collection has been discontinued. I would like to see a comeback of the D2, D3.
The Beast.
Camo lights.

And the era of making special limited run surefire lights.

wjv

Enlightened
Most anything made by ITP. . . Especially the "C" (C6, C7, C8) line of lights.

After they were bought out the "new and improved" versions of the A1, A2, A3 were poor imitations of the originals.

T45

Enlightened
True!

The Z3 with "M2" bezel looks almost like an M3 (better now that the M3 has since changed bezel style)

Not my photo:
P121.jpg

now THAT is perfection. I lost a bid 2 days ago on Ebay to get a Surefire Z3. My plan was to do exactly what you have set up here: a Z3 body with a M2 Bezel. Got sniped at the last minute. If I could get Surefire to bring back some discontinued models, they would be the C2, the Z3 of course, and the G2 in camo/mossy oak colors.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
now THAT is perfection. I lost a bid 2 days ago on Ebay to get a Surefire Z3. My plan was to do exactly what you have set up here: a Z3 body with a M2 Bezel. Got sniped at the last minute. If I could get Surefire to bring back some discontinued models, they would be the C2, the Z3 of course, and the G2 in camo/mossy oak colors.

Unfortunately with SureFire abandoning their excellent incandescent line-up of lights, now all of a sudden I have a bunch of discontinued models that I love. Including my first ever SureFire, my C2 with a P61 lamp in it.

Looking back, I would not have bought even half the number of lights I did when I became horribly addicted to this hobby. Though honestly, that C2 is one I never regretted buying. Early on, it was a black 2AA Mini-Mag with Mag pen-clip and modded with an LED and a rear tailcap switch. An Inova X5 (2nd Gen. I believe). Streamlight TL-2 LED model. And finally the SF C2. After that, I went a little crazy buying up lights at Cabela's during my first ever visit there. SureFire G2 and Streamlight Scorpion being two of the lights I bought there. Then, a Brinkmann Maxfire LX at Target. (Back when Target had really good lights on their pegs.) After that it gets a bit blurry. But generally a few really cheap lights.

Had I stopped at the SureFire C2 and later picked up an SF M4 + a Fenix L0D, I'd be satisfied today with that small collection of lights. (And saved a $#!%load of money.) I did get the Fenix later, along with a custom Leef-bodied M4.

But yeah, at one point in time, the only discontinued SureFire I had was a 9Z that I bought just for the Milky-modded head on it. Then bought a brand new SF bezel and tailcap to put on it. Though I do have an older bezel and tailcap I can lego onto it instead. (Probably should do that.)

Kinda p*$$ed that nearly overnight I went from one discontinued SF 9Z to a buttload of discontinued models in my SureFire collection.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an Arc AA attached to my water bottle at work. 10+ hours of angry blue light! I may have the world's largest collection of Arc AAs at 3!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually really like my RA Twisty, 3 levels, long runtime, "duh" simple, and really well built, it's an EDC even though it's discontinued.

Also a huge fan of all my Surefires, I don't think I own a current SF model anymore (I tell a lie, the minimus vision is still available, as was the T1A last time I looked) my favorite being a 9P - which has been modernized by the addition of a Moddoo 1000lumen single mode neutral triple, bore and Anodize by Oveready, and a pair of AW's finest contained inside (18500 black cells) the only thing missing is a McClicky and Kydex sheath (currently stock switch and ripoffs sheath)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't like the current generation of slippery, kinder/gentler models from SureFire. Out of the 21 SureFire models I own, none are from SureFire's latest generation of lights.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ancient Nuwai Q3. Had a ton of fun upgrading that small light every four months. Spending $25-$30 on a UWAN binned lux3 emitter from Fred back then was just part of being a flashoholic with tinkering skills. IMS reflectors, Viren copper heatsinks, hi-low resistored and Pro Golded tail switches, MC-E's and P7 emitters...various converter boards from the Sandwich Shoppe. I really enjoyed the constant tweaking with that light.

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
Surefire 9AN Commander.
Awesome light...my first expensive one. Great beam, awesome 2 stage incan. Not too many others around that could do that when they did it.
Awesome beam too. I remember when I put a HO bulb in my M3, it was about the same as that 9AN....only trouble is, if that bulb ever quits, Im SOL unless I want to convert it.